Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenith 666

People who don't buy comics have no respect for them.i don't lend anything anymore because they return them tatty dogeared messes.i wouldn't even like to estimate what my collections cost me.

Skullmo

I leant my copy of Origins to my best friend, it came back torn and stained. And I don't even think they had bothered to read it as they could not discuss it in any depth.

My best friend is a dog.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Third Estate Ned

There's your reason to buy it again in hardback. And mine, let's see him roll that up.

James Stacey

I remember lending a gn to a friend who within 3 minutes of me handing it to him had put it on the floor then managed to roll his computer chair over it so it was jammed underneath. Good times.

Skullmo

I once gave a book to a friend who instantly just swallowed it up!

He was a black hole.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Zenith 666 on 03 February, 2015, 03:28:13 PM
i wouldn't even like to estimate what my collections cost me.
Christ yeah this I agree with so much. We* must all live in denial and not once, for one moment think about how much we spend on comics as it might make us feel ill and realise we don't need to be mortgaged to the hilt if only we'd developed a cheaper hobby!

* When I type 'we' I of course me I alas!

Zenith 666

You could have that argument to everything including smoking or drinking in the end you have to spend it on something and comics don't cause illness or shortness of breath.Though I do admit to sniffing my copy America way to much. :D

Silent_Bomber

Quote from: Skullmo on 03 February, 2015, 02:05:32 AM

The Mega Collection is a lovely book but the painted work is represented far better in the earlier reprint. It is larger and a greater subtlety of colour is present.

Thanks for the info

I was kinda' hoping for an excuse to go and buy the £1.99 one, but if this is the case I'll probably pick up the older one off Amazon. I like the cover much better (looks like a wraparound?) and I don't actually like "Fading of the Light" tbh, I also own the other stories already and space is becoming a problem for me these days.

IronGraham

We're werewolves not swearwolves

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Silent_Bomber on 03 February, 2015, 04:43:34 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 03 February, 2015, 02:05:32 AM

The Mega Collection is a lovely book but the painted work is represented far better in the earlier reprint. It is larger and a greater subtlety of colour is present.

Thanks for the info

I was kinda' hoping for an excuse to go and buy the £1.99 one, but if this is the case I'll probably pick up the older one off Amazon. I like the cover much better (looks like a wraparound?) and I don't actually like "Fading of the Light" tbh, I also own the other stories already and space is becoming a problem for me these days.

Burn him. Burn him now.

Mattofthespurs

Frank

It was this play on the limits of tolerance that impressed me when I first read Wagner's supple, terse story. But now what strikes me most is the story's attack on the way men treat women. America is the most attractive, assertive character in the story and yet she is used by almost every man she comes in contact with. She is beaten up by Judges on a democracy march while pregnant only for the judges to then end the pregnancy because of the foetus's "genetic abnormality". And she is ultimately betrayed by her best friend Benny who then takes the betrayal to another lurid sci-fi level, effectively stealing America's identity.

Wagner continues exploring questions of female agency in a number of subsequent stories gathered in this Hachette edition. And so what we have here is - you might argue - a feminist text. It just comes with big guns.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-ents/books-poetry/graphic-content-a-sense-of-dredd-on-rereading-wagner-and-macneil-s-america.1422871513

Teivion

For my sins I actually never knew they did follow ups to America, so having them in the Volume was a surprise to me and  very welcome one - if anything I seemed to enjoy America more reading the follow ups because it gave the story a nice grounding.
Although the original chapter of America was a nice piece on its own I probably didnt read as much in to it as I could have done, taking it at face value as a nice story out of the traitional context of a Judges saga.
The comments Butch posted above are very valid ( we'll pass over the rape scene...) but I felt the additional storylines give the female characters all their power back, and you can almost see that in the way Dredd behaves as he admits his respect to Bennys' daughter.

I am seriously excited to get the next volumes...

Mattofthespurs

Disappointed that issue 2 is in the shops now and my sub copies of 2 & 3 have yet to materialise  :(

Got a cold and a chest infection and was hoping to curl up under a warm duvet and read these today.

Ah well, I'm a big boy. I can wait they bloody well better turn up tomorrow or I'll throw a proper hissy fit

Molch-R

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 04 February, 2015, 10:52:30 AM
Disappointed that issue 2 is in the shops now and my sub copies of 2 & 3 have yet to materialise  :(

Got a cold and a chest infection and was hoping to curl up under a warm duvet and read these today.

Ah well, I'm a big boy. I can wait they bloody well better turn up tomorrow or I'll throw a proper hissy fit

Just to clarify, in order to keep P&P free orders are sent out in big batches from Hachette's warehouse - it's not like the Prog where it has a specific date that all orders go out on so there may be the occasion where books are in shops before you receive yours. However, you'll be getting them two at a time and, as the subscriptions level evens out, they should become more regular.