Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombemybabynow

Nuts in may - followed by the lady in the van [last night] - both superb
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Tiplodocus

Has anybody here not seen WHAT WE DO ON THE SHADOWS yet?

Get your arse along to Netflix now, you won't regret it.

(Mockumentary about vampires flat sharing in New Zealand. Full on murderous vampires plus quirky NZ humour and doesn't outstay it's welcome.

Why the blood of virgins? Well, I suppose it is like when you have a nice sandwich..."
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

SNATCH on the other hand... was surprised I hadn't actually seen it before. What joke there is wears pretty thin after thirty minutes and it's really just all round too unpleasant for a lovable rogues caper.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

zombemybabynow

What we do in the shadows is fantastic. They've made a TV show of it but I'm not sure if it's worth watching - as the film was so good

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Mardroid

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 29 June, 2019, 10:53:58 AM
Has anybody here not seen WHAT WE DO ON THE SHADOWS yet?

Get your arse along to Netflix now, you won't regret it.

(Mockumentary about vampires flat sharing in New Zealand. Full on murderous vampires plus quirky NZ humour and doesn't outstay it's welcome.

Why the blood of virgins? Well, I suppose it is like when you have a nice sandwich..."

Yep. Recently enjoyed the tv series too. (You can catch it on BBC iPlayer). It's set in New York, but it's in the same world. (Ie. not a remake.)

Theblazeuk

It's 3 other vampires in Staten Island, obviously huge similarities but is generally a different story in the same broad setting rather than a reskin of any of the movie's characters or jokes. Even where it is, they build on it in an interesting/funny way (the Familiar for example).

abelardsnazz

Plus it stars the great Matt Berry. And Colin Robinson is unforgettablezzzzz....

Keef Monkey

Wine Country on Netflix, which is really likeable and full of great people but not as funny as I'd expected given the great cast. Overall I definitely enjoyed, just never gets the big laughs you can feel it reaching for, but that's sort of fine because it's a pleasant way to pass some time and the characters are generally likeable.

Rewatched Christine for the first time since childhood and it's still really enjoyable. Not top god-tier Carpenter, and the ending is a bit flat, but there are some great moments and he wrings a lot more tension out of a car than I'd have thought possible (at one point some headlights popping on made us yelp, so kudos to Carpenter for setting up the right atmosphere to get a jump scare out of that). The killer car thing is one of those Stephen King ideas that he makes work great on paper but which could have been incredibly silly on screen, and I think it works surprisingly well. He manages to sell a lot of the more outlandish moments well. Plus the main theme is one of Carpenter's best (mind you I find myself saying that about so many of them that it probably doesn't mean much at this point)!

Something was definitely up with the surround mix on our Blu-ray though, it was the fairly recent Indicator release where they've upmixed the original stereo to 5.1 and while nothing whatsoever came out of the surround by my head the one on the other side of the couch was blasting my wife in the ear with pretty much the entire soundtrack. Figured she might have been exaggerating so we switched seats and yup, it was mental. Thought that might have been my set-up but checked it all afterwards and it's fine, just a very weird mix choice (or fault?). In future I'll stick to the original stereo on that film I think.

Bad City Blue

Spider-Man Far From Home - The Spider man film you've been waiting for! Fun, well scripted with must watch post credits scenes.

Great job bringing Mysterio in and giving  him a credible backstory that fits in with the MCU.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Hawkmumbler

I do feel [spoiler]Disney expecting us to suspend our disbelief that Mysterio, a villain who's entire shtick is being the master trickster and illusionist, was a good guy in the trailers.[/spoiler]

Bad City Blue

I agree but there's plenty of kids who wouldn't know his history
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Rately

Shazam - Really been disappointed with the DC Universe movies thus far, so this movie turning out to be so entertaining, well cast, charming and sweet was as welcome as it was surprising.

Zachary Levi and the young cast are superb, and hopefully they keep the same creative team together for any sequels.

radiator

QuoteWine Country on Netflix, which is really likeable and full of great people but not as funny as I'd expected given the great cast. Overall I definitely enjoyed, just never gets the big laughs you can feel it reaching for, but that's sort of fine because it's a pleasant way to pass some time and the characters are generally likeable.

I found it painfully unfunny, tbh - would have switched it off after 15 minutes if it had been my choice to watch it in the first place.

Amy Poelher is such an incredible comedic performer given the right material - see Parks and Rec - but the script for Wine Country, such as it is, was incredibly weak imo. Above all it just seemed so lazy - kinda reminded me of one of those Adam Sandler movies where him and his old SNL mates go on a jolly to an exotic location under the pretense of making a film.

von Boom

Quote from: radiator on 03 July, 2019, 09:37:59 PM
QuoteWine Country on Netflix, which is really likeable and full of great people but not as funny as I'd expected given the great cast. Overall I definitely enjoyed, just never gets the big laughs you can feel it reaching for, but that's sort of fine because it's a pleasant way to pass some time and the characters are generally likeable.

I found it painfully unfunny
^ This. Switched off after 10 minutes.

I can honestly say I don't like any of the people involved with this 'film' so I was probably never going to like it.

Dandontdare

A Field in England - I saw most of this on the launch night, but wasn't paying enough attention, but I picked up the DVD recently and it truly is an amazing piece of work, brutal, mystical and trippy. I can see how some would be annoyed at the impossible things that happen - the character who is killed, and then turns up again alive, the way they pull Tires O'Neill out of the ground on a rope - but if you accept these, it's a wild hallucinogenic journey. Reece Shearsmith and Michael Smiley are particularly good