Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 09 July, 2019, 09:56:51 AM
Basically Jaws with a massive pig, and quite a decent stab at it really.

If memory serves, it's Russell (Highlander) Mulcahy's first gig as a director, after a lot of music videos and he wrings a great deal of style out of a pretty minuscule budget.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mattofthespurs

Have only seen Razorback once when it was shown on Alex Cox's Moviedrome in the early 90's.

I do remember I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The Legendary Shark

I love Razorback. Took me ages to realise that the old guy in it is the same Bill Kerr who starred with Tony Hancock for all those years.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 09 July, 2019, 10:13:04 AM

I love Razorback. Took me ages to realise that the old guy in it is the same Bill Kerr who starred with Tony Hancock for all those years.

Hah, was it really! Never knew that! It's good fun alright, but for some unknown reason I always mentally pair it with wonderfully named but otherwise atrocious* comedy-bestiality-horror Revenge of Billy the Kid.

* I lie. The fact that at least three characters are named Ronnie/Ronald MacDonald offers another redeeming feature.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 July, 2019, 10:02:23 AM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 09 July, 2019, 09:56:51 AM
Basically Jaws with a massive pig, and quite a decent stab at it really.

If memory serves, it's Russell (Highlander) Mulcahy's first gig as a director, after a lot of music videos and he wrings a great deal of style out of a pretty minuscule budget.

He certainly does! There are some really stylish moments in it, not least the lost in the outback dream sequences. Those looked pretty amazing, and the whole thing has a bit of a nightmarish tinge to it. I'm sure when I was a kid I thought it was a post-apocalyptic movie, Mad Max style.

Had no idea he'd gone onto do so many other films I saw young, like Highlander and The Shadow! He made one of the best looking Resident Evil movies too.

wedgeski

Razorback was a late-night favourite of my dad's, so we watched it often. Great film.

I caught up with Spiderman over the weekend. Tons of fun. I didn't feel completely satisfied, but emerged into daylight with a smile on my face, so no complaints.

Rately

I remember as a teenager feeling very grown up when watching Moviedrome on a Sunday evening.

First real movie experiences with the likes of Assault On Precinct 13, The Terminator, Q The Winged Serpent, Walk On The Wild Side and so many more.

Why the BBC don't have something like this on their current output is a shame.

Theblazeuk

Midsommar

I preferred Hereditary but this was something rather different, and I rather enjoyed it. Even if loads of people in the cinema with me got bored (2 people left, other people on their phones,  bad crowd all round)

zombemybabynow

going to watch "Rango" in a mo'
a film that always "zens-me"
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

zombemybabynow

Just started & holy sh@@ number 5's (from the umbrella academy) girlfriend is in it

She must be a character actor
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

TordelBack

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 12 July, 2019, 05:59:51 PM
Just started & holy sh@@ number 5's (from the umbrella academy) girlfriend is in it

:lol:

Not so much type-cast as vacuum-moulded.

Mattofthespurs

Yesterday

Ok, it's Richard Curtis whom without the buffer of Ben Elton is an overly sentimental c*nt but I quite enjoyed this.

Helps that I like the music of The Beatles and that Lily James is frickin' gorgeous but the last 3 musical tracks on this absolutely rock. the music is pumped right up and it's fun.

Wouldn't run to watch it again or buy it on blu ray but it's a pretty good diversion on a dull Saturday afternoon.

Fun but shallow. Just like my good self.

JamesC

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 13 July, 2019, 05:31:33 PM
Yesterday

Ok, it's Richard Curtis whom without the buffer of Ben Elton is an overly sentimental c*nt but I quite enjoyed this.

Helps that I like the music of The Beatles and that Lily James is frickin' gorgeous but the last 3 musical tracks on this absolutely rock. the music is pumped right up and it's fun.

Wouldn't run to watch it again or buy it on blu ray but it's a pretty good diversion on a dull Saturday afternoon.

Fun but shallow. Just like my good self.

I need to see this - it was filmed in my town (Gorleston). The Pier Hotel is a 10 min walk from my house.

Mattofthespurs

It has that going for it. The Pier Hotel is mainly used in the last 10 minutes or so.

Nice location.

Link Prime

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 11 July, 2019, 03:10:38 PM
Midsommar

I preferred Hereditary but this was something rather different, and I rather enjoyed it. Even if loads of people in the cinema with me got bored (2 people left, other people on their phones,  bad crowd all round)

Saw this last week, and was initially slightly disappointed. Upon reflection, I loved it.
I can certainly sympathize with those that considered the run time too long - my own pal (who I dragged along to see it) was squirming in his seat trying to resist looking at his phone.

Perversely, I'm looking forward to the forthcoming Blu-Ray release with a much longer cut - possibly 30-60 minutes?
As with most movies that I rate, the proof will be in the distraction-free home viewing.