Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manwithnoname

Quote from: sheridan on 02 January, 2018, 10:02:39 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 12 July, 2017, 07:21:42 PM
Bit worried for my wife as she will be featured in the bitchy programme Spa Wars tonight. As they would mock about her guide dog :(
Bit of a delayed reaction - I've never heard of Spa Wars - sounds like a good reason not to have a TV (which I don't) - how did it go?

You don't have a TV? How do you watch television?

TordelBack

manwithnoname

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 January, 2018, 03:29:07 PM
Quote from: manwithnoname on 16 January, 2018, 03:11:11 PM
You don't have a TV? How do you watch television?

It's 2018.

What? So you mean he/she might use a laptop, tablet or other device capable of streaming television content?

Why then, does the poster make a point of saying they don't have a TV, and that this lack of TV-ownership is the reason they haven't heard of "Spa Wars"?

I've got a TV and I haven't heard of it either. The two seem unconnected, and any TV-owning causality rendered irrelevant by the fact that TV content is consumed by many other platforms other than a traditional TV.

It seemed like a sort of weird humble-brag about not owning a TV, and this somehow imparting superior taste.

"Oh, I haven't heard of that, because I don't have a TV! My device of choice for consuming A/V content is far more high-brow"

TordelBack

Or alternatively, the phenomena are connected, because watching non-broadcast TV content tends to be a matter of deliberate active choice, rather than being at the mercies of whatever the schedules serve up at the moment you begin your flick through "<insert number> channels of shit on the TV to choose from". 

The latter broadens one's awareness of what is current, whether you have any existing interest or not; the former leads to one seeking out the things that already pique same, irrespective of currency.

manwithnoname

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 January, 2018, 03:42:55 PM
Or alternatively, the phenomena are connected, because watching non-broadcast TV content tends to be a matter of deliberate active choice, rather than being at the mercies of whatever the schedules serve up at the moment you begin your flick through "<insert number> channels of shit on the TV to choose from". 

The latter broadens one's awareness of what is current, whether you have any existing interest or not; the former leads to one seeking out the things that already pique same, irrespective of currency.

Hmm, but I've never heard of it, and I am subjected to the horrific, manipulative vagaries of broadcast TV scheduling. So we've BOTH never heard of it, and yet only of us thinks that pointing out they don't have a TV is the reason for not having any clue what Spa Wars is.

Like I said, it seemed an odd to think to introduce into a conversation, it adds nothing. It's like me saying "I don't read The Radio Times, so I have NO IDEA what TV programmes are on and when"

Although I have noticed that, much like vegans, people who don't own a TV (or have a TV licence) are easily identified because they'll tell you about it very quickly.

Professor Bear

Some spirited straw manning there, but for many people, TVs are little more than monitors for media hubs, while others have dumped their TVs to avoid paying the bloated licence fee for the BBC propaganda machine - FREEDOM FOR TOOTING! - as streaming services just work out much cheaper, as well as being a more practical use of viewing time than just sitting through whatever shite happens to be on.

manwithnoname

Quote from: Professor Bear on 16 January, 2018, 04:03:04 PM
Some spirited straw manning there, but for many people, TVs are little more than monitors for media hubs, while others have dumped their TVs to avoid paying the bloated licence fee for the BBC propaganda machine - FREEDOM FOR TOOTING! - as streaming services just work out much cheaper, as well as being a more practical use of viewing time than just sitting through whatever shite happens to be on.

I do enjoy those TV-less heroes who claim they shouldn't have to pay the evil BBC their TV licence pound of flesh, but still expect to be able to access BBC i-Player on their tablet, thus demonstrating their uniquely clueless understanding of "how things are made and paid for"

TordelBack

BBC iPlayer aside,  streaming services charge,  and in turn pay the Beeb for the vast amount of its content they host.  So I imagine the 'TV-less heroes' correctly think they contribute to the programmes they consume,  especially the overwhelming majority of viewers that live outside the UK.

I have a TV,  but I doubt I spend an hour a week using it to watch broadcast media.

Woolly

Quote from: manwithnoname on 16 January, 2018, 03:50:56 PM
... it seemed an odd to think to introduce into a conversation, it adds nothing.

*cough*  ::)

I own a mahoosive TV, use Netflix, Freeview, and sometimes I'm naughty and download something I want to watch before it's shown in the UK - I also hadn't heard of 'Spa Wars' til I found this thread.

Where does this leave me? High-brow, Low-brow, or eye-brow?

Professor Bear

Quote from: manwithnoname on 16 January, 2018, 04:18:10 PMI do enjoy those TV-less heroes who claim they shouldn't have to pay the evil BBC their TV licence pound of flesh, but still expect to be able to access BBC i-Player on their tablet

Another straw man?  LOL.  It's like an episode of Wurzel Gummidge up in here.
That was actually a recent change to the tv licence requirements, which previously only applied to live reception devices (an obsolete definition since the analogue switch-off) and streams of live events or first showings of original content.  Since the introduction of the new laws, you can't actually access any BBC content on the iPlayer from any device on your property without first attesting that you own a tv licence.

Quote from: manwithnoname on 16 January, 2018, 04:18:10 PMuniquely clueless understanding

Indeed.

The Legendary Shark

Long Live Pirate Bay!

*Runs off and hides*

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

You can't access Pirate Bay from the UK.  Luckily our government made that top priority and not anything superfluous and unimportant like the NHS or putting spprinklers in high rises.

The Legendary Shark

*Peeps out of hiding place*

Oh yes you can, quite easily.

*Ducks back down*

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

Smartest fella I worked with never had a tv and this was back in the day when there was no alternative to broadcast telly.

So he had to tell people otherwise they'd think him rude every time he was asked "Did you see really popular thing everyone was talking about?" and all he could reply was "No".

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!