Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 24 February, 2020, 03:54:13 PM
Stewart Lee hasn't died, but he did do a bit that drives political correctness into health and safety.

I went to see him in Leicester a couple of weeks ago. Christ, he was magnificent. He also resurrected that old health and safety / political correctness routine for the new show.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

rogue69

Pioneering African-American Nasa mathematician Katherine Johnson has died at the age of 101.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51619848

Gary James

Diana Serra Cary (Baby Peggy) has died aged 101. There are now no surviving performers from the silent era... I'm not sure why that depresses me so, given the distance from those events, but somehow it does. Hopefully whoever has The Law Forbids or Our Pet will make the films available now.

sheridan

Jens Nygaard Knudsen, 78.  Inventor of the Lego minifigure.  I can barely imagine Lego without minifigures!

Tjm86

.Clive Cussler ...

Not going to raise the titanic now.

shaolin_monkey

Folly Farm: Zoo's founder Glyndŵr Williams dies

This is sad.  For anyone in Wales with kids you'll have been to Folly Farm at least once.

I once got drunk with Glyndŵr and his wife about a decade ago, when I randomly sat next to them at a bar in Cardiff one balmy summer afternoon. It was a fun day, and they were a lovely couple.

I asked them which of their animals were their favourite, and they said they tried not to have 'favourites', because they were farmers after all - the animals were all 'livestock' to them.

However, I knew they were dodging the question, so I pushed a bit.  It was the zebras.  Glyndŵr absolutely loved the zebras.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51661104

sheridan

Freeman Dyson, 96, scientist, mathematician and scholar.

Dandontdare

Quote from: sheridan on 28 February, 2020, 06:46:07 PM
Freeman Dyson, 96, scientist, mathematician and scholar.

just read his wiki page and did not understand 98% of the amazing things that he thunk up, but thank the creator that we have brains like those occasionally.

...but astrochicken?

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 28 November, 2019, 01:00:31 PM
His series of autobiographies are a joy to read.  Think I've read them at least three times each.

I'm full of it, me. There were three more Clive James autobographies i didn't know about till now. I'm one-and-a-half of them down already.

Not quite as hilarious to read as the first two - a self-assured upwardly-mobile intellectual doesn't have quite the same entertainment value as a precociously inventive kid or a youthful fish-out-of-water trying to discover himself abroad - but still unmissable, if only to learn of how much of an insufferable diva Peter Sellers was, and how Germaine Greer used to dress as a nun and do a striptease onstage.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

shaolin_monkey

Trooper McFad

His Ming was merciless
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

sheridan

That Guardian item has a mistake:
"Sydow's most iconic role was in Bergman's The Seventh Seal (1957), in which he plays chess with Death. "
Should be:
"Sydow's most iconic role was in  Dino De Laurentiis' Flash Gordon (1980), in which he plays Ming the Merciless. "

IAMTHESYSTEM

'M-E-R-R-I-N!' A fantastic talent who's portrayals seemed almost natural as if the actor was that person. A sad loss to the world of Cinema, indeed. Goodbye to Judge Fargo, he took the long walk after such devoted service to the art of celluloid.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla