Main Menu

Millar's KaPow Comic Con London - April 9th n 10th

Started by Colin YNWA, 29 November, 2010, 11:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

COMMANDO FORCES

A couple of seconds of Wake at 02:06 on this vid, short and sweet so why not watch the lot  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPv7gY1pDWo

And some more at about 00:22 on here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0tAoeKyfYE&feature=related

Kerrin

Quote from: GordonR on 13 April, 2011, 11:02:11 AM
Quote from: Kerrin on 12 April, 2011, 06:51:10 PM
Absolutely Colin! I'd forgotten about Strip when I wrote that. I'm really looking forward to seeing what it's like and I'll more than likely buy a few to dish out to mate's kids. Pester power! Is the plan to have it ready for Bristol? I've lost track of what the release date is now.

It doesn't have one, not since the originally announced February 2011 one came and went.

It's no secret that Strip's had problems getting off the starting blocks - the Monsterology project that PJ Holden and I were doing for them (as mentioned in the recent Meg article) is now unfortunately happening elsewhere - but I'm hoping there'll be some more news at Bristol. 

John Freeman's poured an incredible amount of work and dedication into it, and I'm hopeful we'll soon see the outcome of it all.

I really hope so too Gordon. John's a top bloke and from the bits of Strip I saw at BICS the comic has a proper fighting chance of success if it can get to the shelves.

The Monsterology art that PJ had at BICS was phenomenal, myself and Jim Campbell were just stood there gobsmacked at one of the double page spreads, unbelievable. On my 'must buy' list when it appears. I've already got a sketch of Harry Wilmington!

Albion

Quote from: dweezil2 on 13 April, 2011, 04:08:19 PM
OK finally back and rested from KaPow and a great King's X gig where I had the added pleasure of meeting top bloke and fellow boarder Steve Longdon!

That's me folks. 
Great to meet you Dweezil.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

SuperSurfer

Haven't had a chance to post since the weekend but have to say I had a great weekend at Kapow! Really glad I went. Was good to meet again with so many boarders and to meet more of the guys for the first time – in particular those who travelled from afar.

Really enjoyed the Mills and O'Neill talk. Missed first 10 mins as I queued for so long and once I was in I had to hunt for a plan/timetable. Why wasn't there one in that bag of crappy posters? Shame about the turnout at the talk. Was surprised I didn't see more of you lot there. I later found out some were concerned that they should get queueing for the 2000AD talk. Pat Mills is always interesting to listen to and was good to hear his and Kevin O'Neill's tales about the old guard at IPC. So depressing to hear about 2000AD artwork being chucked in skips when Murdoch bought IPC. Sacrilege. The audience was told how the bigwigs at IPC thought the Mills & O'Neill Robusters was a load of rubbish but they were torn between their hatred of Mills and O'Neill's work and their greed, as 2000AD was selling so well. Well I must admit I had goosebumps when images of this 'rubbish' was being projected as I recall the impact these particular episodes had on me as a kid.

2000AD talk. Plenty has been said about this already. Preview image of an upcoming Zombo story:

Judge Chivo:

One of the highlights was watching and talking to artists as they were drawing and looking through their portfolios. I rarely get to see original art in the flesh. So much amazing work. I would say it was inspiring but quite the opposite. Scared the life out of me due to just how good the pros are. Case in point were Brian Bolland and in the background are Duncan Fegredo (Sean Phillips is just out of picture):

Gary Erskine was very generous with his advice on inking. Stunning work from him as well. He was super busy and was actually working. I did offer to fill in his blacks. Turns out he has an assistant for that already who works many hours a week!

I missed CF as Dredd. I was only interested in the talks I mentioned above.

Drinks session was a good laugh as usual. (Apologies to the fella I missed out when getting a round in). Was humbled to do sketches for CF and Spirite (apologies for not remembering your avatar). Many thanks to Lady Festina for organising drinks.  

El Chivo

Heh, heh , nice pic m8!
Good hanging out with u bud, catch u at next one

Cheers

Chi

Bolt-01

Folks- a bit rude, but I really liked the pic of CF walking that Emps posted at the top of page 29, so i've roughly (very roughly) cropped into it and pasted it on a plain black BG to have as a wallpaper. If anyone else wants it- the link is below.

Apologies to whoever took the photo for nicking it, but I really like the image.

If I get grief for this I'll happily take it down.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Bolt-01/?action=view&current=WalkingJudge.jpg

Steve Green

If it became a bit of merchandise would that mean CF would be forced to stay in the Cellar of Dredd?

Peter Wolf

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 14 April, 2011, 01:44:25 AM

So depressing to hear about 2000AD artwork being chucked in skips when Murdoch bought IPC. Sacrilege. The audience was told how the bigwigs at IPC thought the Mills & O'Neill Robusters was a load of rubbish but they were torn between their hatred of Mills and O'Neill's work and their greed, as 2000AD was selling so well. Well I must admit I had goosebumps when images of this 'rubbish' was being projected as I recall the impact these particular episodes had on me as a kid.

I thought i would let yourself and others know that some of the artwork that was skipped was salvaged and is now in collections.I know who has some of it but they wont sell. >:(

There is still a certain amount that wasnt salvaged that ended up in landfill and i will guess that about 50 percent of it is lost forever.IPC did contact various artists about wether or not they wanted the art before it was chucked and one example was Belardinelli who declined the offer because he was concerned over the shipping costs amongst other things.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

dracula1

Quote from: Peter Wolf;598328I thought i would let yourself and others know that some of the artwork that was skipped was salvaged and is now in collections.I know who has some of it but they wont sell. >:(

There is still a certain amount that wasnt salvaged that ended up in landfill and i will guess that about 50 percent of it is lost forever.IPC did contact various artists about wether or not they wanted the art before it was chucked and one example was Belardinelli who declined the offer because he was concerned over the shipping costs amongst other things.

Wot a set of twats!...all that ditched artwork is priceless to first gen 2000ader's like me. It  all would have looked princely displayed in a museum for public perusal.

Steve Green

Maxwell, not Murdoch. there are many things to dislike Murdoch for, but that's not one of them.

Not disagreeing with the sentiment though.

A bit surprised that the Art Editors didn't get the opportunity to act as caretakers for the art though, or sell it on behalf of the artists - I remember seeing art in FP for sale in the early 80s so it's not like there was no market for it.

chris_askham

Quote from: Steve Green on 14 April, 2011, 10:07:56 PM
Maxwell, not Murdoch. there are many things to dislike Murdoch for, but that's not one of them.

Not disagreeing with the sentiment though.

A bit surprised that the Art Editors didn't get the opportunity to act as caretakers for the art though, or sell it on behalf of the artists - I remember seeing art in FP for sale in the early 80s so it's not like there was no market for it.

This kind of thing seemed to have been going on right across the industry too. I remember reading somewhere that in the Marvel offices in the 70's, artists work was chopped up into individual frames and handed out to kids who were being given tours of the building.

There just seems to have been total lack of any regard for the work of comic artists until relatively modern times.

dracula1

Quote from: chris_askham;598397This kind of thing seemed to have been going on right across the industry too. I remember reading somewhere that in the Marvel offices in the 70's, artists work was chopped up into individual frames and handed out to kids who were being given tours of the building.

There just seems to have been total lack of any regard for the work of comic artists until relatively modern times.[/QUOTE
Is it the UK and American comics industries that used to treat this wonderful art form with such distain? l'm sure  Countries like France and Italy  have museums celebrating this kind of artists work. It's an horrendous thought to think that my favourite artists work ( the late great Belardinelli) was consigned to a skip. His work was fine art in it's execution and imagination.

COMMANDO FORCES

Forgot to mention this earlier but me and Pete became film producers over the weekend  :o

JOE SOAP