Main Menu

Dredd - Box Office

Started by MattJW, 02 September, 2012, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judge devs

Quote from: Stan on 11 October, 2012, 01:17:35 AM
which means I'd have to visit Manchester if I wanted to see it again.

URGH..

That sounds like a miserable experience  ;)

Keef Monkey

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 11 October, 2012, 12:56:12 AM
Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 10 October, 2012, 11:56:40 PM

the trailer with the cool rock music kicked ass. the La Roux one.

I thought that was a good trailer too.The other US trailers though were perhaps too generic.

Yeah, I don't think the first trailer was a problem, I thought it was very, very stylish and sold the movie well as a sci-fi actioner with a really lush visual style. Just thinking about it makes me desperate to own the film on blu-ray to watch more and more.

Noisybast

Only got to see it the once, due to almost Tordelbackian levels of skintitude :(
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

radiator

Quote...they told me after that there was no way in hell they would have gone to see it had I not been the one raving about it. They said they felt the poster made it look like a bad, cheap superhero movie; putting "3D" at the end of a movie title put them off because it made it sound "gimmicky" and they knew nothing about it. The posters were everywhere (Seriously. They were. You couldn't drive down the street without having your eyes gouged by Dredd) but they knew nothing about Dredd and the movie just didn't interest them in any way, shape or form bar my incessant ranting about how great it was. These are Dredd's prime demographic, by the way: Creative, arty, nerdy, movie and comic fans. Once again, these people fucking loved it once they'd seen it but if I'd just not spoken about it, they never would have been attracted to see it. I can only assume that same malady hit the general public.

I remember when one of the big movie blogs did a passionate article pleading people to go and see Dredd. There were loads of comments at the end of the article agreeing with the sentiment, and then one of some bloke saying "Nah, I don't believe you. I still think it looks terrible".

That about sums it up. Seems like a lot of people had already made their minds up about this film and just wouldn't budge.

I don't understand it myself - even as a non Dredd fan - if a genre movie was getting such good reviews I would have been there like a shot regardless.

Steve Green

Horse to water and all that.

Not sure if it would have made a difference if they'd been able to factor in making a Dredd primer - a 5 minute short released online in the month or so before the release.

Not anything from the film, but something that gives a taster of what to expect.

But with Hungry Hippos and Monopoly both getting optioned after Battleship - I don't particularly want to set foot in a cinema again at the moment.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Steve Green on 11 October, 2012, 09:39:35 AM
But with Hungry Hippos and Monopoly both getting optioned after Battleship - I don't particularly want to set foot in a cinema again at the moment.

Sweet mother of God. I swear I did a quick search to make sure I wasn't going to make a fool of myself by responding to this questioning if you were being serious... you were and that makes me so very, very sad.

Steve Green

Hungry Hippos starring Liam Neeson presumably.

Buddy

Quote from: Steve Green on 11 October, 2012, 10:14:20 AM
Hungry Hippos starring Liam Neeson presumably.

It would be a better option than Taken 3...

radiator

Quote from: Steve Green on 11 October, 2012, 09:39:35 AM
Horse to water and all that.

Not sure if it would have made a difference if they'd been able to factor in making a Dredd primer - a 5 minute short released online in the month or so before the release.

Not anything from the film, but something that gives a taster of what to expect.

As I said earlier, I think they should have released the first few minutes of the film online a week before release, the whole opening monologue, up to where Dredd says "I'm taking them out".

Would have done a much better job of selling the film than the trailer did IMO.

Steve Green

Maybe, I don't think there's enough of a hook in the first few minutes personally.

It's all academic now.

judda fett

Im sure its been said elsewhere but you can factor in cinemas being a massive rip off. There'd be more incentive to take a punt on something if you were'nt paying £10 a pop. I love the 'cinema experience' but these days it takes the royal piss.

radiator

I don't get the 'cinema is expensive' argument.

You'd spend well over a tenner if you were sitting in a pub or coffee shop for a couple of hours.

There are also many discounts and concessions available, such as matinee shows, Orange Wednesday or Cheap Tuesdays.

You can also sneak your own snacks/drinks in if you resent paying cinema prices.

radiator

I went to see Moonrise Kingdom in my local fleapit cinema and it cost something like £3.50 a ticket!

Picture and sound were a bit shit (and auditorium very stuffy) but still.

judda fett

Quote from: radiator on 11 October, 2012, 11:29:08 AM
I don't get the 'cinema is expensive' argument.

You'd spend well over a tenner if you were sitting in a pub or coffee shop for a couple of hours.

There are also many discounts and concessions available, such as matinee shows, Orange Wednesday or Cheap Tuesdays.

You can also sneak your own snacks/drinks in if you resent paying cinema prices.

I do all that plus sneak in and bring my own snacks but £10 any given day all concessions aside makes the thrift sensibilities take a grip and sit it out til its a few quid on dvd. The exception being when its a film I really want to see. My point was though that your regular punter isnt going to spend £10 on a genre film they are'nt sure about.

radiator

QuoteMy point was though that your regular punter isnt going to spend £10 on a genre film they are'nt sure about.

District 9 seemed to do alright.