Main Menu

...PROG 1526, 30 YEARS OF THRILL POWER.... ...LET THE GALAXY CELEBRATE, ITS HERE AT LAST!!!...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 26 February, 2007, 09:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Ahhhh.... finally got my hands on this little beaut.

Lovely lovely badge, cover better than expected but largely obscured by the booklet, which is not really my thing, but sure I'll give it a go.

Stand-out story:  Dredd.  Rennie's best Dredd script, Gibson's best art in years, and while not intentional, how cool to have a 'business as usual' strip-in-progress in the 30th Anniversary Issue.

Marmite story:  Flesh.  Loved the story and the idea, actually liked the nostalg-art a lot, but I do miss the dense inks of the original.  Part of the problem is the flying dinosaurs, creating a false impression of perspective/positioning from the outset.  A worthy prequel, even if a bit Deadwood-meets-the-Cretaceous in execution.  Saursuckin' fraggers!  Hope it pressages some sort of a return to Flesh, a la ...

Savage:  Mills on all cylinders!  Adlard soaring ever higher.

Dante:  Ah, just pure bliss.

Droid Life:  Hits the spot.

Poster-wotsits:  All nice new takes on old favourites.  Well done all.

Text:  Still to digest.

Tharg:  Brilliantly done.  For the first time the repro makes me wish the Casefiles were on better paper.  

Coke Float:  A lot sweeter and flatter than I remembered.

All in all, a very statisfying experience.  Next!

Lord Running Clam

Finally got my hands onto the Prog, it being a day late getting into the local WHSmiths.

Iâ??ve only read the strips so farâ?¦

Cover: The best Christmas Prog cover not to appear at Christmas.

Droid Life: made me laugh.

Dredd: A great story with art to match.

Flesh: For me possibly the highlight of the Prog. A fun throw-away story, packed with lots of nice touches. The art had a pulp comic feel to it. The rough & loose-ness complements the story.
I also feel that both this and 2000 AD in 5 pages help to even out the, I guess, darker feels of the other 3 stories.

Dante: The art as always with Simon Fraser looks the business. The story sets a dark note with an insight into Konstantinâ??s frame of mind. I canâ??t wait to see where it all goes.

Tharg: This was a lot of fun. A real shame it was so short.

Savage: The best Adlardâ??s art yet. The story was a good reintroduction as to where it left off, and as a read in its self.

Thrill Power Moments: some great art on show. Iâ??d love to see more in the future.

All in all so far I think a worthy 30 year Prog.

Mike Carroll

All righty, then... Finally had some time to just sit down and read the prog!

Despite my misgivings about the cover, this is a dman good issue, the best in quite a while. The highlight for me is Savage, which was a surprise because I wasn't pushed about the previous chapters. Now I'll have to dig out the back progs and read them again.

Shame there's nothing from Mr Wagner in this prog, but then he wasn't in prog 1 either.

Great to see Robin Smith and Ramon Sola back, and the pin-ups were a nice touch too.

Definitely a good enough prog to keep the interest of any lapsed fans, I think.

So well done, Mr Tharg! Just goes to show that one should never judge a comic by its cover.

-- Mike

Queen Firey-Bou

just read it too , disapointing, i was thinking, can't wait for it to get back to normal for all the good stuff.

the badge rocks.

Dante was messed up, great, made me realise i've totally forgotten who was who in back story, but then my brain gets clogged up.

i get fed up with text stuff normally, but LMS peice was an enjoyable read, and the questions made me laugh, Thargy does seem to be less grumpy & arrogant in his old age doesnt he ?

enjoyed the star scan poster things.

must find a use for 20 abbadon samplers tho...

Dog Deever

Finally got and digested mine too. A good prog, Savage is the business. Mills at his best- gritty, brutal political satire- no pants dialogue!
I'm liking this Dredd tale, didn't even notice until last week that it was Gordon Rennie, not Wagner. First class art.
Dante kicked off well, too.
I also quite liked Sola's artwork, especially on the dinosaurs themselves. I'd like to see more of him in the prog, or even the Meg.
The Tharg story was, well, a fairly typical Tharg story...
Loved the Nu-Starscans! Rufus' Dredd vs Death was on here a while back- with less muted colours, and it looked grand- i've got it kicking around my hard-drive somewhere!
Didn't mind the texty stuff too much.
Happy Birthday 2000ad, and cheers for the badge, Tharg!
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Goaty

well, this prog is not bad,

Dante story was first i read on train! very great,

hope Lulu not get killed? hate to says, but hope there some of Romanov is suprised alive, i prefer that bird man.... in John Burns style!

Flesh was shite.