Main Menu

New 2000 AD creators blog

Started by AlexF, 23 March, 2015, 11:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Dash Decent on 24 March, 2015, 10:29:09 AM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 March, 2015, 03:53:08 PM
For some reason, I seem to recall someone saying he was a demon pool player, too!

Frame after frame, apparently.

Consider yourself on a warning! ;-)

AlexF

Thanks again for the kind words, all. Looks like I've got more updating to do!

I've started adding pics to the blog - will see what I can do about the Droid pin-ups, good idea that. Anyone know if DJ 1, D-Mil and Spex were real and specific people?

Colin YNWA

Saw the picts today when reading the frankly glorious Pat Mills entry (I still insist that you must be WRONGWRONGWRONG, surely Mr Mills has more appearances than that?) and they really make the site sing.

Keep it up this is fantastic stuff.

Dandontdare

Just had a long read through the entries to date and I love this blog! It's good solid bio but with all those little details and comments that only a true fan would care about. Good choice of pics on the Wagner piece, good luck choosing just a handful of images for Pat Mills!

The only thing I really don't like is that headache-inducing dotty logo - I'd prefer something that felt more classic 20000ad

judda fett

Quote from: Dandontdare on 26 March, 2015, 01:58:04 AM

The only thing I really don't like is that headache-inducing dotty logo - I'd prefer something that felt more classic 20000ad

I'm sure a kindly Droid in the creative common would take a stab at a logo for you if you eventually do decide to change it.. Great content though, good work!

Pete Wells

Just want to add my praise to this wonderful blog. Truly zarjaz!

AlexF

Yeah, the dotty logo is quite a bit more in your face when I look at the site live than it did when I was cobbling it together. I've got some alternatives to try out (in a similar vein). But anyone who wants to throw something new at me, I'll gladly sub it in!

New entry just up this morning - it's the first of the artists to feature on the countup! No prizes for guessing who it is...

Colin YNWA

Perfectly timed. Just finished the last of the first five entries and now I have my lunch time reading sorted!

AlexF

Hero number 9 up as of today. It's perhaps the first 'surprise' (not really a surprise, though) - the first creator droid of a newer generation.

Colin YNWA

Damnit I'm getting behind on these... or actually, cool I've got loads of these to catch up on...

Colin YNWA

Slowly catching up with these, but one entry I think deserves particular comment and praise. For many it would be brave to list Alan McKenzie in a blog called 'Heroes of 2000ad', for some I dare say damned right foolish. He does seem to be one of the few creators to work on the comic who gets quite vilified, and not necessarily without course, though most of us don't really know the ins and outs at all.

Your write up of this time working for The Galaxies Greatest was a really nicely balanced, well judged piece. He after all might have been involved in some murky practices (I refer our learned friends to my statement about not really knowing the detail, I certainly don't pretend to) BUT much of his output as a writer wasn't bad. In the context of what was around it it was pretty good in fact. None of them are stonewall classics but there's some good honest fare there and I liked many of his strips.

I look forward to seeing how you handle Messers Millar and Fleischer!

AlexF

Thanks Colin!
It's a blessing that there are really very few 2000AD creators that will stir up much controversy on the blog. McKenzie by the far the most divisive figure, I think. Much as I don't like the way he comes across in his writing on his blog, I do think the stories he wrote for 2000AD were made with the best intentions of being good for the comic - and his hit rate on that front wasn't bad. By the same token, I'm not sure there are many (any?) writers with no fails across their 2000AD back catalogue. Alan Moore, maybe (although liking Abelaard Snazz could be aminority opinion)? Michael Carroll hasn't put a foot wrong so far, but he has yet to be tested on trying out his own series...

Greg M.

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 20 April, 2015, 09:01:15 AM
None of them are stonewall classics but there's some good honest fare there and I liked many of his strips.

I would argue that 'Summer Magic' really is an absolute classic, up there with the best - it's a shame it's in legal limbo, because all that's served to do is allow it to fade away, rather than being cherished as a real 2000AD highlight. I recall the final Luke Kirby story being really good as well.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 20 April, 2015, 11:58:39 AM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 20 April, 2015, 09:01:15 AM
None of them are stonewall classics but there's some good honest fare there and I liked many of his strips.

I would argue that 'Summer Magic' really is an absolute classic, up there with the best - it's a shame it's in legal limbo, because all that's served to do is allow it to fade away, rather than being cherished as a real 2000AD highlight. I recall the final Luke Kirby story being really good as well.

See even when we're saying nice things about McKenzie we can't agree! Its defo the closest he go and I do really enjoy it, whether it stands against the likes of Zenith, Skizz, Dante etc etc I'm not quite so sure. I'm also a very big fan of the first Brigand Doom story. That one did drift off the boil more than The Journals Of Luke Kirby which was always at least very good, but that first story I'd rank as high (or almost) as the original Summer Magic. Both certainly look perfect.

AlexF

One burning question answered: who has written more stories for Tharg, Gordon Rennie or Robbie Morrison?* http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/no-14-robbie-morrison.html

But who has written more Dredd?
Find out here: http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/interlude-dreddcount.html

*Actually it's not that simple: Rennie has written far more separate stories; Morrison has written more individual episodes.