Main Menu

*Sigh* ... I'm not sure why I bother!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 14 November, 2009, 04:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

Makes me glad I don't watch any of them. Saves on disappointment.
STRIKE !!!

Mike Gloady

Yeah, these shows are all quite unfamiliar to me.  I keep it simple with the Jeremy Kyle show.  No danger of THAT being cancelled anytime soon.  Not while Hackney and Salford still have scum who've not been on telly yet....
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Paul faplad Finch

Oh God,don't. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm pathetically grateful for my sister letting me live on her couch for what has turned into a long bloody time I might long ago have had words with her about her unhealthy obsession with the Antichrist. I shouldn't complain though, at least while she's watching that she doesn't have Clublandtv blasting out.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Colin MacNeil

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 November, 2009, 10:46:56 PM
Quote from: Colin MacNeil on 14 November, 2009, 10:44:17 PM
I'm sure it'll be cancelled soon. But I shall persevere.

Really quite soon, I'm afraid, Colin!

Cheers

Jim

Oh, Buggrit! grrrrrr.

COMMANDO FORCES

I was all set to watch that Defying Gravity and at the last second did something else and just couldn't be arsed to watch it on teleport (Virgin thingy). The title of the thread says it all. I suppose when it's finished I might give it a go!
So many things, so little time!

Paul faplad Finch

I think the beeb have lost interest in it to be honest, maybe in light of it's cancellation, maybe it's just getting shit ratings. Whatever the reason, they've now changed it's timeslot 3 times in what, 4 weeks, 5? You watch, it'll be 2:00 in the morning next week.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

I, Cosh

I've been watching Dollhouse but, to my mind, it has continually shot itself in the foot by hinting at interesting things and possibilities which then aren't followed up. Or, at least, not in a reasonable timescale. The individual stories only hit the mark half the time at best and the ongoing arcs aren't progressed enough or, in the case of Alpha, just aren't interesting enough.

Still. Faith in...outfits.

Bring back Lexx.
We never really die.

COMMANDO FORCES

Tiplodocus

Doesn't this sort of thing mean that genre TV has to reel it back in and start being less ambitious (or desperate for a money spinning cash cow).

"ARC" tv is the reason we get disappointed when these things don't run and run.  The arcs never get finished.  Surely there's room for something along the lines of STAR TREK or NEXT GENERATION where each episode is (mostly) standalone but overtime, you can see a tiny bit of progression in the characters (or this may be me projecting because of familiarity?).

Alternatively, you break your show into four or six episode chunks each of which has a satisfying ending.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote"ARC" tv is the reason we get disappointed when these things don't run and run. 

'Course then you have something like Babylon 5 when they give you an extra year you really didn't need..

Mike Gloady

I'm with Tim Bisley when it comes to Babylon 5 I'm afraid.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Ignatzmonster

The wife and I have been following Dollhouse and are both gutted it's been cancelled. What's worse is that the series had hit it's stride."Belonging" is one of the best episodes of the series. But it was kind of built to fail: the best episodes are some of the most emotionally disturbing. You can't be shocked that the average viewer didn't latch on.

As a voice of optimism, I'm just glad it was made. While I did like Firefly more, I prefer Dollhouse to Buffy. What a creepy fucking premise, and it ony got creepier the more I thought of it. Loved most of the acting on it. Actually the even weakest actor, the still enormously hot Dushku, felt like she was developing to catch up to the material.

I read a great quote in the New Yorker about Pushing Daisies when it was starting out: "One gets the sense it exists in order to live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful DVD."

Devons Daddy

recently i go to itunes, get one episode,
if its good to great, I download.

if its ummm worthy of note, i buy the dvd set,
when its outstanding (BSG) i get the download the box set and then buy the originals.  ::)
always take into account my demographic location board.
1 season = 4 sterling roughly..less if its multiple seasons(wire,sopranos,Star trek)
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 November, 2009, 01:21:48 PM
'Course then you have something like Babylon 5 when they give you an extra year you really didn't need..

It's even more annoying than that isn't it? I thought JMS had plotted five series, was told going into Series 4 that there wouid be no Series 5 and so condensed two entire series' worth of plot into one, only be told at the end of Series 4, "Hey, you know what, those numbers weren't so bad -- have a fifth series after all" ...

I've recently re-watched Series 4 and, fantastic though it is, the pacing is] a bit breathless!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 November, 2009, 07:09:47 AM
[I thought JMS had plotted five series, was told going into Series 4 that there wouid be no Series 5 and so condensed two entire series' worth of plot into one, only be told at the end of Series 4, "Hey, you know what, those numbers weren't so bad -- have a fifth series after all" ...

Yup, that's how I understand it too - original planned as the Shadow War for Season 4, and the Civil War and telepath stuff for Season 5.  I agree, the Season 4 we get is insanely compressed, but I think that's a lot of of its charm - it's just relentless, a great achievement.