Main Menu

Prog 1741: Block Down

Started by vzzbux, 02 July, 2011, 11:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: 1000AD on 04 July, 2011, 10:53:35 AM
Realistically speaking, the only people Maybe should be allowed to see would be members of his immediate family,

Didn't he murder most of those in his first story?  ;)

But I agree, the security is a bit lax - maybe it's a cunning sting by dredd to flush out his underworld contacts?

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 02 July, 2011, 07:55:51 PM
Likewise the Dredd will hopefully leave by fears tattered but reading this weeks episode I found myself hoping that Wagner has a bit of a twist up his sleeve. I really hope that PJ doesn't escape and one of the main protagonists in the up coming epic. Returning him so soon after the last epic feels to soon and his escape, though wonderfully set up felt last week in execution this week felt very contrived.

Just to let you know Colin, that your missive above has been quoted, over on another forum I frequent, by He Who Must Not Be Named as evidence that Dredd is "contrived" and Wagner should kill him off. Though he does say he's "being controversial".

These little arrows ->  ^^^^ may or may not have relevence later.

SBT

Richmond Clements

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 04 July, 2011, 12:11:38 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 02 July, 2011, 07:55:51 PM
Likewise the Dredd will hopefully leave by fears tattered but reading this weeks episode I found myself hoping that Wagner has a bit of a twist up his sleeve. I really hope that PJ doesn't escape and one of the main protagonists in the up coming epic. Returning him so soon after the last epic feels to soon and his escape, though wonderfully set up felt last week in execution this week felt very contrived.

Just to let you know Colin, that your missive above has been quoted, over on another forum I frequent, by He Who Must Not Be Named as evidence that Dredd is "contrived" and Wagner should kill him off. Though he does say he's "being controversial".

These little arrows ->  ^^^^ may or may not have relevence later.

SBT

Thanks for the heads-up- that's confirmed it.

Colin YNWA

Well good grief if the best evidence anyone can come up with that Dredd is contrived and should be killed off is my meandering and wayward thoughts on here then their arguments really are in trouble!

And that you can quote me on with pleasure!

(more importantly I hope they sorted out the jumbled up mess I made of that last sentence! Which should read

"Returning him so soon after the last epic feels too soon and his escape, though wonderfully set up last week felt  in execution this week felt very contrived")

Proudhuff

Another fine prog its even got young MiniHuff on board and he's loving ZoMo..

Isn't PJ visitor his lawyer so the lawyer would have sent/taken the letter? I find your lack of faith disturbing...
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

How would PJ have his own lawyer?  He's legally dead twice over, so presumably any assets he legally held as either Maybe or Ambrose are long since dispersed, and in the case of the latter, not his anyway.  Any lawyer other than a City-appointed one is going to have to be paid with money from secret accounts, i.e. the proceeds of crime.  I'd be surprised if the Judges wouldn't just arrest and interrogate anyone purporting to be a hireling or associate.  'Course, it could be a cunning 'let's see what he'll do' ruse, tracker implanted in the nose, all that.

Proudhuff

Dredd was right, he should have shot him.
DDT did a job on me

W. R. Logan

Cover: like a bad explosion in a Tango factory.

Dredd: fantastic

Zombo: looks good as you'd expect from Henry and a great read

Savage: love the Goddard droits art but just don't like the story.

The rest of the Prog just doesn't do it for me.

House of Usher

I wish I had more time to comment. This Prog and the one before were really good. Al Ewing makes me laugh.
STRIKE !!!

Art

I love Zombo, and the weird demented universe it seems to set in. Tone it down? No! TONE IT RIGHT UP INTO PEOPLES FACES!

I am the night.

Hoagy

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 July, 2011, 03:51:59 PM
How would PJ have his own lawyer?  He's legally dead twice over, so presumably any assets he legally held as either Maybe or Ambrose are long since dispersed, and in the case of the latter, not his anyway.  Any lawyer other than a City-appointed one is going to have to be paid with money from secret accounts, i.e. the proceeds of crime.  I'd be surprised if the Judges wouldn't just arrest and interrogate anyone purporting to be a hireling or associate.  'Course, it could be a cunning 'let's see what he'll do' ruse, tracker implanted in the nose, all that.

I'm quite convinced that the lawyer speaking to Maybe is Don Emilio's.  It certainly looks like professional advice, in the panel, page two, with the speech bubble censorship. But there's no hiding Colin's adolescent sound effect on the last panel.

And all of that talk was code so I took it all with a pinch of salt. And even if the escape is all too convenient, the art compels me to believe and enjoy the events taking place.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

chris_askham

Something just isn't sitting right with the current line-up for me.

Everything just seems a bit too convenient in Dredd. Sinister Dexter continues in the same way it always does. In Savage, Pat's current theme is forties fashion, for some bizarre and typically 'in-yer-face' reason. And Tharg's 3rillers is a bit of a by-the-numbers jobby. Zombo is the star thrill, and redeems the rest of the prog.

And I'm not too keen on the Garry Brown covers either.

SmallBlueThing

TOP THRILL!: Zombo. Very funny for a second week running, banishing memories of the weak second story as it goes along.
THRILL#2: Savage. I really, really want to read this all the way through from the start now. Loving the forties thing, and blatant mention of teleportation. It fits together like a madman's jigsaw, and is Pat's current glory.
THRILL#3 (tie): Dredd. None of this makes any sense, and everyone and everything seems out of character, from Justice Dept down. Which, unless Mr Wagner has gone nuts, means there must be a plot twist coming up. Im waiting to be twisted around Mr Wagner's pen til my arse is on my head.
THRILL#3 (tie): SiniDex. Like Dredd, this sudden almost mystical talk of the 'doppleverse' doesnt feel right. Which means Dabnett has something up his sleeve.
THRILL #5: Tharg's Threeellers at Norwichristmas. Much better than last week's opener, and i found myself looking forward to seeing how it ends. It's at the bottom not because i didnt like it, but because it's new. And new things are bad. Until we know them better, or they are gone- then they become great! Ah, being a fan is such sweet sadness...
Loved the cover this week, and was glad to see letters.
Roll on prog 1742...
SBT

vzzbux

I reckon the Sin/Dex [spoiler]have made it to the Doppleverse. Charon's device [/spoiler]worked.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

radiator

Regarding the slightly implausible PJ Maybe escape thing, someone has been asking Mr Wagner about it over on facebook, to which he says:

QuoteIt's a valid question. Much will be answered in the third and final part of this short tale. I'd add that while in theory everything should run perfectly in the Mega-City system, it's staffed by people and people are imperfect. Another thing to note is that while some artists draw minor functionaries like iso-block warders as judges (we're trying to correct this), they are not judges. It makes no sense at all to train a judge for fifteen years to dispense justice on the streets and then use him as a warder. And ordinary cits are (again, in theory) intrinsically more fallible than judges.