Main Menu

Defoe to return in 2019

Started by rogue69, 21 September, 2018, 08:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

Pat Mills has announced on his Millsverse site that Defoe should be returning in spring next year drawn by Scottish artist and actor Stewart Moore.

It's based on real-life plans by British scientists to send an expedition to the Moon in the 17th century!   Colin McNeill told Pat about Britain's first space exploration program by Bishop Wilkins, Cromwell's brother-in-law on which the story is based.

https://www.millsverse.com/returnofthezombies/

Frank

Quote from: rogue69 on 21 September, 2018, 08:34:10 PM
Pat Mills has announced on his Millsverse site that Defoe should be returning in spring next year drawn by Scottish artist and actor Stewart Moore.

It's based on real-life plans by British scientists to send an expedition to the Moon in the 17th century!   Colin McNeill told Pat about Britain's first space exploration program by Bishop Wilkins, Cromwell's brother-in-law on which the story is based.

https://www.millsverse.com/returnofthezombies/

Ya dancer!

I'm a big fan of the more graphic approach Moore used on his previous Defoe tryout, but I can see why the aesthetic he's developed here convinced a wavering Tharg. It's like Dan Clowes inking Henry Flint*

Subject matter sounds mental, too, with more potential for action and adventure than the world of 17th-century publishing. Pity MacNeil isn't illustrating this one - can't help wondering whether he would have stuck around if they'd gone with this idea first.

Still, replacing quality with quality:

* Favourite artist, third favourite

Colin YNWA

Looks like that art is going to be pretty good.

Leigh S

Just saw the email about this from Pat.... looks astounding

sheridan

Frank

Quote from: sheridan on 21 September, 2018, 09:43:54 PM
Moore has also contributed to Futurequake.

... if the great David Lloyd was here, I'm sure he'd remind us that Stewart Moore's spooky adaptation of Stevenson's Thrawn Janet can be read in Volume 28 of Aces Weekly: http://www.acesweekly.co.uk/vol28-issue1

broodblik

Art looks great looking forward to Defoe's return
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01

This is grand news. Stewart also has a strip running in the current Aces volume as well.

Thanks for the mention Sheridan.

Link Prime

Defoe has never been a personal favorite, but will continue the tradition of monochromatic beauty it seems.

AlexF

I love Defoe, and couldn't be happier to get more of it! Those samples look pretty amazing, too. Nice and grungy, always feels right for a story that's very much about the muck and waste of 17th century London.
But will it be enough to spur on a third trade collection??

TordelBack

That looks, uhh, nice?  Sorry to lose Colin,  I thought Defoe was some of his best work (and that's saying a lot), but Moore's version is very promising.