Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

I'm halfway through 'Fallen Angels by Mike Lee' and I expect to finish it tonight. It's the latest in the Horus Heresy series and is quite gripping with the action really hotting up right now.
Long live the Emperor

satchmo

Quote from: Kerrin on 05 August, 2009, 11:19:31 PM
Hardboiled Cthulhu is the title Sefton, Amazon have got it here,http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hardboiled-Cthulhu-Two-Fisted-Tentacled-Terror/dp/0975922971/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249510382&sr=8-1, though so have others I expect. Quite tempted by this myself.

How do you do that nifty thing so the link just appears as a blue word of your choice as opposed to the full URL?

There is also a Sherlock Holmes Vs Cthulhu collection called Shadows Over Baker Street...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shadows-Over-Baker-Street-Terror/dp/0345452739

Colin YNWA

Quote from: satchmo on 06 August, 2009, 07:35:03 PM
Just got Darwyn Cooke's Parker today, I'm going to start it later. It's gorgeous.

Very tempted by this. I've loved everything I've read of Cooke's and while I know nowt of Parker as a character from what I've seen it looks great... maybe another one for the Amazon Wish list...

Zarjazzer

Thanks to Kerrin and satchmo for helping out sefton when he inquired. I wandered off without checking. So apologies to Sefton.

Just a quick review on "Hardboiled"-fun so far only one story disappointed not because it was rubbish but just inappropriate -a sort  of celtic/viking setting instead of the sleazy bars, dodgy speakeasies and darkened alleys I'd got used to.

Also to follow up Kerrins note on Charles Stross in the back of "The Jennifer Morque" is an excellent article about why he write th e story and how Lovecraft still keeps a (tentacled?) grip on us even now.

It has a fabulous line " The harvest of fear" which I think should be a title for another anthology. :)
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Sefton Disney

No worries, Zarjazzer. Manty thanks to you, Kerrin and Satchmo for the information.

I really like the idea of bringing Lovecraft into the modern age, so I'll definitely be checking out the Charles Stross books. I'm also a massive Sherlock Holmes fan, so Shadows Over Baker Street will definitely be added to the shopping list.

I'm not sure when they're due out, but I read recently that a company called Perilous Press is planning to publish a new line of Lovecraft-inspirerd fiction. The series editor will be the noted Lovecraft scholar, S.T. Joshi, and one of the writers lined up is Brian StablefordN so it could be well worth keeping a three-lobed eye open for their stuff. Also, there's a brilliant Lovecraft-inspired tale, simply entitled N., in Stephen King's latest collection of short stories, Just After Sunset. It's not the first Lovecraft-related story King has written and, if you've never read them, I really recommend Jerusaalem's Lot [sic] and Crouch End, from Night Shift and Nightmares and Dreamscapes, respectively. I especially like Crouch End, having had a friend who lived there for a while.

Paul faplad Finch

Just read Back To Brooklyn and The Pro but wrote about them in the Garth Ennis thread. The other one I picked up, and which I,m about halfway through is The Furies. This is Mike Carey doing The Sandman and since I'm loving the Lucifer collections I thought I'd give it a go. So far, the story seems like another example of Carey totally 'getting' Sandman. This reads, to my mind at least, as proper Sandman, totally in keeping with the style and tone of the series. Course, he could bollix it up before the end but I doubt it.

The art though. It's one step away from being a photo story it's so realistic. John Bolton, who could be a megastar for all I know but I've never heard of him, is blowing me away with this stuff. I'm usually a traditionalist whwn it comes to art but for some reason this bloke has totally won me over. I can't put my finger on why but he's completely changed my opinion of photo realistic art in comics, so well done that man.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

House of Usher

I'm reading Hellblazer 'Hooked' by Peter Milligan at the moment, having not read Hellblazer since about 2000, and I'm wondering how and where he got the scar, and how long ago. Anybody?
STRIKE !!!

I, Cosh

Quote from: House of Usher on 09 August, 2009, 08:59:37 PM
I'm reading Hellblazer 'Hooked' by Peter Milligan at the moment, having not read Hellblazer since about 2000, and I'm wondering how and where he got the scar, and how long ago. Anybody?
You're not the first person from here to ask that: Chicks dig scars.
We never really die.

TordelBack

QuoteI'm reading Hellblazer 'Hooked' by Peter Milligan at the moment, having not read Hellblazer since about 2000

Coincidentally, me too.  Actually not bad, is it?  Sorry to hear about Our Cheryl, though, she'd enough to put up with over the years without that...

Thanks for the clear-up on the scar, Cosh.  Was wondering myself.

Radbacker

Well I Started American Gods yesterday, is it worth it or am i wasting my time (opinionsplease I have 3 friends that have read 2 like 1 said it was a pile of crap).
got the last 2 books of 100 Bulletts but gonna re-read them all before I get onto these last two and some more Fables (absolutly top series, only just twigged the Fables are supposed to be the Jews) and Ex-Machina (i'll take Mayor Hundred if there is no Yorick around)GN's to keep me going.

New Malazan (Steven Erickson) book is out end of the month, Queen of Dreams I think its called cant wait for that.  Epic fantasy at its most EPIC.

CU Radbacker

Mikey

QuoteWell I Started American Gods yesterday, is it worth it or am i wasting my time

I loved American Gods and have actually read it twice - a rare thing for me nowadays. The start is atrocious IMO - well, the first few pages at any rate - and judging by the rest of the book I always think it's intentionally written like a bog standard thriller, before the weird happens.

There are some overlong sequences late tin the book, but overall I think it hits the mark superbly.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Radbacker on 10 August, 2009, 08:55:24 AM
Well I Started American Gods yesterday, is it worth it or am i wasting my time (opinionsplease I have 3 friends that have read 2 like 1 said it was a pile of crap).

Its ok a bit of a page turner but nothing too new for Gaiman.

TordelBack

I haven't read American Gods myself, but I really enjoyed his Anansi Boys.  Do they cover similar ground?

Kerrin

Yeah, pretty much. Anansi makes a brief appearance in American Gods. They're both a good read but like Mikey said you have to stick with Gods for a few pages before it really gets into its stride.

SmallBlueThing

Currently I am reading 'Patient Zero' by Jonathan Maberry.

It is very, very bad.

End of review.

Steev