Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Finally after many years got around to reading the post issue 50 Shade's. I can see why they weren't too well recieved but have to say I really enjoyed the first couple of stories and the last three parter was great. Ok so it lost a little (a lot) in the middle there, but even then had some great ideas. Love the Sinita + Suit relationship!

In some ways those middle issues had too much going on and I suspect I was missing a whole load on meaning and subtext and what not. Its just another of its was Shade and his madness what done it story and frankly it didn't grip me enough to work with it more. Added to that I'm far from Richard Case's biggest fan, just don't get on with his art on the whole meant I drifted in the middle there.

Still much to admire in these final issues and some great stuff in there and a fantastic ending that the series deserved. Good stuff.

Now I finally get to 'Flu', with apologises to Wayne who sent me it a while ago and even though it go elevated up the read pile has only just made it to the top... looking forward to this one...

Paul faplad Finch

Still chugging through Battle for the Abyss in the Horus Heresy series. It's taking some reading to be honest. I can't quite put my finger on why but it's just not grabbing me the way the previous books have.

Once it's done I've got the last 2 Joe Pitt books waiting. These books are very quick reads but deceptively dense. Charlie Huston packs a hell of a lot of action into each installment and he's not afraid to shake up his world either. Books 2 and 3 both had endings that shattered the status quo so I'm guessing 4 will do the same, leading into the finale.

Also reading Hitman bk1. Excellent stuff so far and I've only read the origin stuff from Demon and Batman comics.  I'm trusting in Garth to really pull out all the stops once the regular issues kick in.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 23 July, 2010, 08:31:10 AM
Now I finally get to 'Flu', with apologises to Wayne who sent me it a while ago and even though it go elevated up the read pile has only just made it to the top... looking forward to this one...

Really hope you enjoy it, buddy :)

TordelBack

As mental comfort food, and in preparation for the alleged release of a sequel next year, I'm re-reading Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep. He's one of the great ideas men of SF, and this is a book just bursting with high-concept.  

I love Vinge, but I wish he'd write more and faster - I hate it when I 'catch up' with an author and then have to wait years for the next fix (even his marvelous short fiction seems to just trickle out, and I don't think there's been a new collection for about a decade).  Someone needs to weld his brain to Stephen Baxter's ever-typing hands.

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 July, 2010, 12:16:06 PM
As mental comfort food, and in preparation for the alleged release of a sequel next year, I'm re-reading Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep. He's one of the great ideas men of SF, and this is a book just bursting with high-concept.
I remember really enjoying The Peace War but I wasn't too impressed with the sequel so I haven't read anything else he's written.

In other news, I've just polished off a couple of short, early Le Guin novels - City of Illusion and Planet of Exile - in the wrong order. Couldn't find Rocannon's World while I was at my mum's during the week, but it's got to be there somewhere.
We never really die.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Cosh on 25 July, 2010, 01:18:08 PM
I remember really enjoying The Peace War but I wasn't too impressed with the sequel so I haven't read anything else he's written.

Yeah, the 'Across Realtime/Bobble' series is mostly his early work, and rough around the edges (although i still enjoyed it) - I'd strongly advise giving his later stuff a try.  Most of his short fiction is brilliant (Fast Times at Fairmont High, for example), and the two 'Deep' novels A Fire Upon the Deep and its sorta-prequel A Deepness in the Sky have magnificently weird aliens and cultures.  

Leigh S

Quote from: The Cosh on 20 July, 2010, 10:45:17 PM
Started Le Guin's City of Illusions today instead. More trees.

Loving the Le Guin. Just bought a copy of The Dispossessed from a charity shop, and have ordered a couple of the newer Earthsea books from Amazon.  They could be made infinitely better by removing the sodding Neil Gaiman blurbs though..... They ought to release "the collected Gaiman recommendations" as a standalone volume (though it make take 2) for anyone interested and get em orf of my books!

Roger Godpleton

Almost Silent, a Jason compendium. I think Jason might be my favourite living cartoonist. (This week)
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Jared Katooie

Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser.

SmallBlueThing

The collected Solomon Kane, by Robert E Howard. And it's brilliant.

SBT

HOO-HAA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 25 July, 2010, 11:30:17 PM
The collected Solomon Kane, by Robert E Howard. And it's brilliant.

SBT

Is the film worth picking up?

Radbacker

QuoteThe collected Solomon Kane, by Robert E Howard. And it's brilliant.

SBT

Is the film worth picking up?

its not too bad, but couldn't coment on accuracy to the original stories.  It is very dour and dark. Looks good too.

CU Radbacker

SmallBlueThing

Enjoyed the film (rented), but hadnt read the stories at the time. Id say, if anything it fleshes out the character more than Howard does, at the expense of some of the mystery.
However, it looks great, plays well and id certainly be up for a sequel or two. Generally good feelings towards it, chez-bluething.
SBT

Cthulouis

For me the film had a shaky start, but then he put on The Hat, and it all fell into place.

The actor (name escapes me) said in an interview that they had got the back-story out of the way for people who need such things, in the hope that in the sequels they can just dive right into the actual stories themselves. Here's hoping some sequels happen.

He even mentioned the possibility of going to Africa!

SmallBlueThing

Yes, Africa was conspicuous by its absence in the movie if im remembering correctly. Whereas its a constant presence throughout the stories. Here's hoping we get more!
SBT