Main Menu

Aliens: Colonial Marines.....

Started by revis84, 20 February, 2013, 08:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revis84

Anyone else picked this up yet? Got it last week and returned home to see all the horrible reviews and was seriously contemplating returning it before I'd even opened it-but I have to say it's not the worst game I've ever played: just a very disappointing one. More a 6 or 7/10 than the low scores I've seen.

I've defo played worse though.

Keef Monkey

I got it, and am actually pretty happy with my purchase. Have finished it once and am enjoying a second harder playthrough. The visuals are poor and aren't up to the quality suggested by the target videos/demos, but that wasn't a deal breaker for me once I got into it.

I'm not even that disappointed to be honest, it's a fairly average shooter made more compelling to me by the Aliens trappings and tropes (and I do love visiting all those locations from the movie). The multiplayer is pretty addictive once you get into the swing of it too.

I'd say a 7/10 sounds pretty fair, the flaming and hate the game is getting seems massively disproportionate to me and more than a little insane in some quarters. It's not as good as we all thought it would be, but I've found the way people are freaking out (I've seen a lot of people online calling for legal action against Gearbox and wanting the studio to shut down which is just ludicrous) pretty bizarre. I've played far worse shooters, which have scored way higher than the 3/10 (and 1/10 even) reviews this has garnered.

I like it!

Goaty

I remember I saw a video on Game magazine Facebook wall.

That the game is HUGH different than the demo, I thought the WTF?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lGXDM3LGnk

sheldipez

I've read through the various canon-breaking run downs of the plot ([spoiler]and to think that we have a go at comics bringing obviously dead characters back to life![/spoiler]) and gone from "I never want to play this" to "I need to get this on steam sale to see just how bad it is".

I think a lot of the bad reviews come from the back of how good it could have been compared to how it turned out; a case of the six year PR-hype machine doing more damage on top of a sub-standard FPS.

Professor Bear

A lot of the anger comes from the long development time and misleading pre-release footage that has made a lot of people suggest that Gearbox only developed Aliens so they could have cash coming in to cover their debts incurred during the development of the over-budget and past-due Borderlands 2.  I suppose if enough people got together they might make a reasonable claim that they didn't get what they were told they were getting as the original technical demos were clearly not the game that was released.

bluemeanie

I'm enjoying it. Most of the negative reviews seem to hit on glitches but playing on the pc I havent really come across any.

Seen people complaining the aliens are just cannon fodder, but then thats why I dont rate the film Aliens as anywhere near Alien... as thats all they are there. Probably why you needed the Queen to give you the same "fuuuuck" they managed with one lone creature previously. Here they've put in the mercenaries so you aren't just bug hunting which feels like the right move. Still feels like you're playing in the movie universe though, especially with the excellent sound

Will say tho that I'm a total game wuss and this is totally un-scary. Even the old Aliens pc games had me at least edgy with the face huggers, this one doesnt. Was expecting them to play it horror at least a little. Maybe that'll come in later as I'm only part way in but the beginning of the game is Alien-centric and they weren't scary there

I'd agree with Keef Monkey... its a 7/10.... maybe a 6 as I played Far Cry 3 before that which I loved. People seem to have been expecting a 10 so the disappointment that it's just ok has pissed them off. So a lot like Promethius really

bluemeanie

Forgot... meant to come back and say the ending of this game is weeeeeaaaak

Ride there was ok tho having seen the pre-release vid of how it was supposed to look I can see why people are pissed.

Anyway, not great but when it inevitably goes on sale its worth a punt if you havent got a shooter on the go

Charlie boy

I've saw this for £12 pre-owned and although reviews are here and there, I'm still tempted to give it a go (although I was well disappointed with Aliens vs Predator) unless anybody here seriously believes I shouldn't? I'm torn between getting a basic shooting and gore game so it's between Aliens: Colonial Marines or trying to relive part of my youth (but with improved graphics) via Doom BFG Edition (no idea what BFG is) for the slightly higher sum of £15. Anybody know which is a more fun to simply kill time- playing as Hudson or the Doom game?
Failing this, I'm weighing up the original Dead Island although again, reviews seem to be here and there on it. It's been ages since I purchased a game, hence my wish for guidance here.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Charlie boy on 02 May, 2013, 07:17:46 PMDoom BFG Edition (no idea what BFG is)
B[spoiler]ig       [/spoiler]
F[spoiler]ucking [/spoiler]
G[spoiler]un     [/spoiler]
We never really die.

Charlie boy

I don't know if you're being serious or not but a part of me thought it could be that! And I'll openly admit- the part of me wanting to relive my youth put Doom ahead of Aliens because of it...
Actually, Resident Evil 6 is another one I'm tempted by although I didn't like 5 and my friend said he found 6 to be too long (to make up for 5, he reckons) and he said he got sick of it because of this. I can't seem to find reviews of the game on the forum, neither.
Again, any help/personal thoughts for the person here who has gone a while without buying games will be greatly appreciated.

The Enigmatic Dr X

That is indeed what BFG stands for.
Lock up your spoons!

Charlie boy

Is it wrong that I'm close to choosing this game as the winner because of it?
But still- part of me keeps thinking how I can be Hudson in the other choice...

radiator

Go retro:

Go for the original Doom (which still rocks)

Or Resident Evil 4 (which is by all accounts better than 5 or 6).

Both are available on XBLA.

Charlie boy

Thanks, Radiator. Resident Evil 4 is my favourite but I've played that game to death and with all weapons and clothing choices (the joys of having the president's daughter in a suit of armour!).
On the Doom game I was looking at earlier, I got the impression that there is more than the one game on it and a part of it sounded like it basically included a cleaned-up version of the original, so Doom definitely is looking to be the most likely purchase. I guess with Resident Evil 6 I can just get it off my mate as well when I next see him and decide if I want to buy it after playing it.

radiator

Pretty sure that the BFG edition is primarily a souped up Doom 3, though it might include the original games too.