Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 12 November, 2009, 11:04:33 AM
Some of King's work is amazing. Other books, however, I find terrible.

I know what you mean. His ouevre is one of extremes - lyrical masterpieces or borderline unreadable hackwork.
@jamesfeistdraws

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Kerrin on 12 November, 2009, 10:00:25 PM
Is that the "Under the Dome" one? Now I'm sure I'm wrong, and I am a King fan ('IT' is my fave) but I couldn't help thinking "Jeez, I wonder if he saw the Simpson's movie and thought 'now there's an idea with legs'".

Indeed- if he saw the Simpsons Movie 25 years ago, when he says he first started this book!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 12 November, 2009, 10:12:40 PM
I couldn't help thinking "Jeez, I wonder if he saw the Simpson's movie and thought 'now there's an idea with legs'".

Indeed- if he saw the Simpsons Movie 25 years ago, when he says he first started this book!

I think it's more likely he's read The Midwich Cuckoos.
@jamesfeistdraws

Kerrin

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 12 November, 2009, 10:12:40 PM
Is that the "Under the Dome" one? Now I'm sure I'm wrong, and I am a King fan ('IT' is my fave) but I couldn't help thinking "Jeez, I wonder if he saw the Simpson's movie and thought 'now there's an idea with legs'".

DOH!

Mike Gloady

Can't get into King, tried many times.

As for your bargain, Kerrin - go you!  Transmet is a classic.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

strontium_dog_90

It is indeed "Under The Dome," and it seems a great read so far - not slow to get into things like some King books, it's straight into the action! Only problem is, the page count of 900 makes it a bit of a bugger to carry into work to read on my break . . .

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 12 November, 2009, 10:03:32 PM
Quote from: HOO-HAA on 12 November, 2009, 11:04:33 AM
Some of King's work is amazing. Other books, however, I find terrible.

I know what you mean. His ouevre is one of extremes - lyrical masterpieces or borderline unreadable hackwork.

So true. Carrie vs Tommyknockers.

uncle fester

I really have gone off Stephen King's writing. Everything I've read of his involves someone being sick and the 'evil atmosphere' ending up as a furry animal about as scary as the rubber suited aliens in early Star Trek. I can understand that after 30 years (?) of churning them out, the ideas might become less original but uh...  ::) Then again I found The Amityville Horror quite shivery, and I'm probably alone on that one.

Jim_Campbell

I know some of us keep banging on about it ...

But Morrison's really doing the business on Batman and Robin ...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Paul faplad Finch

Detective Comics. From the beginning, pre Batman. Currently issue 14, dated April 1938. They are an education I can tell you. Slam Bradley, Speed Saunders, Cosmo (master of disguise) and of course SPY. Classics one and all.

My particular favourite is Cosmo. In one issue he needs to get on board a ship. He hangs around said ship and cudgels the first crewman he sees. After hiding the body he disguises himself as a sailor by putting on a striped shirt (and changes his ethnicity by putting on a fake moustache), before continuing to hang around the ship. An officer comes from the ship looking for his crewman, sees Cosmo and the following exchange takes place :

Officer  : Hey Spick, looking for a job?

Cosmo    : Si Meester.

Hey presto, he's aboard.

The casual racism is nothing compared to the rampant sexism though. SPY is a good one for that, with a man/woman team in which the man constantly belittles his partner, despite them supposedly being lovers.

I'm loving them, if I'm honest, even if I am reading them on a probably not strictly legal scan site. Does anyone know of a way to get these stories properly, without breaking the bank? I'd imagine they are pretty much forgotten about now.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Colin YNWA

Wow its good to know there's nowt out there that you can't get hold of from these illegal file share sites!

HOO-HAA

Yeah, that's good work going on there.

From a legal perspective, there may be a chance that some of the older stuff may be in 'public domain'? I'm not sure - just speculating...

Kerrin

Hey HOO-HAA, don't know if you'd realised but the link in your sig is broken mate.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Kerrin on 16 November, 2009, 01:06:50 PM
Hey HOO-HAA, don't know if you'd realised but the link in your sig is broken mate.

Cheers, mate... got a bit trigger-happy with the ol' https. Good of you to let me know :)

Christov

Postman willing, I should have The Question – Zen and Violence come tomorrow. I do love me some Denny O'Neil.