Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOO-HAA

The Mist is one of King's finest moments. Great stuff!

das

GROOM LAKE
Ben Templesmith art !!!

IDW the only OTHER comic company
Confusion is Better Than Sex

Mike Gloady

I'm in that school too, MGB.  King might be more readable for me if he had a good editor who trimmed everything by a third.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Jim_Campbell

Joe the Barbarian, which I'm really enjoying.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

M.I.K.

Just got The Bumper Book of Solar Wind (Volume 1) through the post.

Skullgrin140

At the moment I'm reading the Star Trek Movie prequal, very good comic.

Tiplodocus

Star Trek Movie Prequel comic?  Is that the one with various next gen characters in it?  I thought (much as I loved TNG) that the comic managed to suck everything that was fun and enjoyable out of the movie.  (But there was some great art).

THE BROKEN WINDOW by JEFFREY DEAVER did, indeed, turn out to be shite. 
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 25 March, 2010, 11:12:08 PM
I thought (much as I loved TNG) that the comic managed to suck everything that was fun and enjoyable out of the movie.  (But there was some great art).

Agreed.

Currently reading Robert Harris' magnificent Lustrum, the second of his novels about Cicero, and definitely the best historical fiction about Roman politics since I Clavdivs.  He's come a long way from his disappointing Pompeii. In fact, if you enjoyed the gloriously silly Rome TV series ("Thirteenth! Thirteenth!"), you'll enjoy this as a prequel, although there are considerably less boobies.

Also near the end of the second of Sansom's Shardlake books, Dark Fire, a fabulous murder mystery set in Tudor London after the Dissolution.  

On a bit of a historical fiction kick, it seems.

Kerrin

Those Shardlake books by Sansom are a fantastic read TB and what's more they just get better and better. We must be due a fifth soonish. There are also quite advanced plans for a screen version I believe, involving Kenneth Branagh.

TordelBack

Quote from: Kerrin on 26 March, 2010, 05:12:30 PM
Those Shardlake books by Sansom are a fantastic read TB and what's more they just get better and better.

Really enjoyed the first one too.  It started off irritating me greatly by seeming to be a cheap Tudor knock-off of Name of the Rose, and then came the moment when Shardlake s[spoiler]pots a copy of Aristotle's lost treatise on comedy, only to be told that it's a 14th C fake from an Italian monastery...[/spoiler] From then on it was obvious that this was going to be a lot of fun.

House of Usher

I am now reading The Bloody Red Baron by Kim Newman, mentioned here previously by Satchmo. At the moment I've got a keen interest in C20th warfare and fantasy, so I skipped Anno Dracula altogether and went straight to WWI.

Impressions of the first chapter: Kim Newman tells a good story, but in this particular book it's hard to see the things he's describing ("cakes of frozen snow gleamed vaguely"), it's taken for granted that the reader shares the author's frame of reference ("bundled in his trenchcoat and a useless tartan blanket"), and the reader is invited to imagine the appearance and attire of the character before the author drops in the helpful information that Lieutenant Winthrop isn't standing out in the snow, he's sitting in the passenger seat of a moving Daimler. Trying to imagine what he's describing is a bit like being a police artist and having to keep rubbing bits out in your imagination and draw them again; you can hardly say it's just like being there.

Anyway, it's mysterious and exciting, and by all accounts a scholarly achievement, and I'm looking forward to all the action and adventure and reference spotting to come.
STRIKE !!!

I, Cosh

All-Star Superman. The first time I read this I thought it wasn't bad. Nice art, decent story, but I couldn't understand what everyone was going daft about. This time round it really clicked for me as a marvellously warm and engaging story about what makes Superman so great which never gets corny. With gravity guns and uranium jewellery.

Also reading Warrior which, being an anthology, ranges from the great to the mediocre, with almost nothing actively bad. It even has a range of articles on aspects of comics which verge on the interesting and a letter from one T Proudfoot decrying T'n'A covers.
We never really die.

Jared Katooie

Finished reading Wolfskin Vol 1. Plot wasn't bad, but I mainly bought it for the truly grotesque levels of violence , all beautifully rendered by the talented artists.

They didn't half curse a lot in the stone age though, bloody hell!

uncle fester

An innocent day out in town turned sour when I was forced where I was forced - forced, I tells you! - into Forbidden Planet by invisible agents... The swines.

So now have Durham Red - Vermin Stars, ABCs - Black Hole and Forty-Five to tuck into.

So far I've only read the page of Forty-Five illustrated by Mr Timson, but that was nasty enough to guarantee my attention for the others.

Paul faplad Finch

Bairn is alternating Narnia with Dahl so sans the need to keep aheadof him I've shelved Narnia for now and am back on my regular reads. Duma Key still ongoing. I often find myself, with books I'm realy enjoying, reading them in very small chunks, to make them last longer. People comment that they must be dragging, or a chore to read, because they take so long but it's the oppposite. I'm prolonging the pleasure.

Also, Horus:Descent of Angels, Psi-Files 1 and Savage Sword of Conan 2 (Dark Horse reprints of 70's Marvel stuff.) All three are literally just started in the last couple of days so I can't really say much about them other than a couple of observations about the Anderson book.

This is not a complaint, I understand the economics and practicalities behind the decision and I know that to have done otherwise would have made such a bumper volume impractical but some of the art in later stories - haven't read them yet but have had a quick flick - seems awfully murky. The Carlos Ezquerra stuff in particular hasn't transferred at all well. As i say,just an observation, and something I'm willing to live with for the great value of the package overall.

Secondly - "Dodder for it" is my new favourit line. 
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read