Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Lambert

Heaven help me, but I'm doing Doctor Who - all existing episodes, from the beginning, in order. I did this once before... took me a few months. First three stories done, only a few more to go.... 😳

Smith

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 03 November, 2018, 10:59:03 AM
Heaven help me, but I'm doing Doctor Who - all existing episodes, from the beginning, in order. I did this once before... took me a few months. First three stories done, only a few more to go.... 😳
Mee too.Im around Marco Polo.

Dandontdare

are these available online anywhere (legally, preferably)? I've got most of the available DVDs, but there's bound to be ones I've not watched since the 70s.

Andy Lambert

Marco Polo will be my next one too - or rather the very edited version as an extra on another dvd.

As for where to watch old episodes, it's a long shot but YouTube might be worth a try... I'm sure I saw stories like Revenge Of The Cybermen and Destiny Of The Daleks available on there...

Colin YNWA

Ohhh good luck with that you two. I watched all the DVDs (that were then available) about 10 or so years ago, but that wasn't in any order other than that which they turned up from my DVD rental service (who remembers them they were fun!) so it'd be fascinating to do a proper study about how the services developed over time.

How many of this missing ones have now been animated. I saw a clip of 'Power of the Daleks' (I think it was, heavens knows where and why???) the other day and have to say they didn't look a patch on The Invasion when that came out.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 03 November, 2018, 06:41:59 PM
As for where to watch old episodes, it's a long shot but YouTube might be worth a try... I'm sure I saw stories like Revenge Of The Cybermen and Destiny Of The Daleks available on there...

Got them. I've amassed a good collection mainly via CEX stores - they must have a deal with the distributors as multiple copies of the same title appear periodically - I've made a habit of popping in whenever I pass one over the last few years and have built up quite a collection, all between £6 - £12.

Current tally*, by Doctor is:

1   9
2   4
3   17
4   19
5   12
6   8
7   3

always looking for ways to fill in the gaps

*the nerd in me really wanted to make a bar chart but the guy on his sixth pale ale couldn't be arsed. Jeez, I got off my arse to count 'em didn't I?

Hawkmumbler

CEX is a second hand joint only, surely? My local is little more than a glorified thief, offering over expensive prices for damaged stock.

I've fast approaching a complete run myself, just 31 left to go!

Colin, The Invasion was rather better than recent animations. I do wish the beeb had stuck to their partnership with Cosgrave Hall.

Dandontdare

It's not quite Cash Converters, and I reckon quite a few of the games and consoles may well have been sitting under someone else's telly recently, but I find it unlikely that they get four copies of a William Hartnell Dr Who DVD at the same time (as do all local branches)

Professor Bear

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 03 November, 2018, 10:13:16 PM
CEX is a second hand joint only, surely? My local is little more than a glorified thief, offering over expensive prices for damaged stock.

To be fair to CEX and their staff, they have little control over whether or not junkies drop things while they get them from the house they've just burgled to the nearest CEX store.

Mardroid

I've got a couple of blu-rays from CEX which skipped, both bought within a short period of time. It makes me wonder if they test the stock that comes in.

I did get a tablet from them once at a very good deal. I suspect they might not have known what they had, however, as other electrical goods tend to be way overpriced there.

Jim_Campbell

Fuck me. How good is Daredevil S3...?!

[spoiler]It's VERY good.[/spoiler]
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Paul faplad Finch

I don't really do bingeing or boxset viewing; even dropped in one shows like netflix stuff I tend to ration out to one or two eps a week, a la trad viewing schedules. It's the old man in me,

That being said I'm hearing so much good word of mouth about Daredevil S3 I'm considering making an exception. Seems like no-one has a bad thing to say about it. Certainly from the one episode I've watched so far it looks like a return to form after a somewhat lacklustre S2.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Bolt-01

DD S3 was seriously good. So much better than I expected. The whole Netflix MCU seems to be going  out with a bang, as Iron Fist S2 was a remarkable upturn after the lacklustre S1 and had a few genuine OMG moments IMO.

Think a lot of the credit for DDS3 should go to Cox & D'Onofrio. They play so well off each other.

Smith

LoGH Die Neue These.As far as remakes go,its good enough.Not a big fan of GiTS-like character design,however.

Professor Bear

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power will probably be more noted for the furore in which overgrown man-babies who did nothing to raise the profile of the franchise or enable the rebooting of the property in the 30-odd years since the original ended still felt they were entitled to complain loudly on the internet that the female concept artist hadn't drawn the lead characters with big enough tits, because while I enjoyed it while it lasted, it doesn't really have much meat on it and is a bit forgettable.
On the subject of She-Ra's tits redesign, Adora in this is like 12 or 13, with She-Ra being a scaled-up version of Adora, so the reason she looks like she does is to make it apparent that She-Ra is a child, hence the lack of sexualisation.  I feel this bit of context tells you everything you need to know about certain internet jerks.  She-Ra's talking horse is also a communist who has named himself for "The SWIFT WIND of revolution", which I am sure will be taken in good humor by those who have despised the show since before they even saw a single frame of it.

The Horde are living beings now - they used to be legions of robots captained by evil monsters, which sidestepped any awkward morality issues, but now they're all kids with names and distinct personalities drawn from the tribes of conquered peoples and forced into military service where they commit atrocities and are in turn killed by those people who dare to fight back.
Another change from the original is that whereas She-Ra used to travel the world as a vagabond teaching people to reach out to their enemies in the name of friendship, now the golden-haired living incarnation of a sun goddess seeks to teach everyone how to be violent guerrillas inflicting lightning raids upon their enemies so that She-Ra can form an alliance of "princesses" who rule through a mix of birthright and magical destiny manifest through superpowers granted by their staying in one specific area and keeping their bloodlines pure enough to utilise the power in the soil.  Um.
I also get a weird vibe from the credits sequence, as the lyrics sound suspiciously like the first draft of something that would be chanted at meetings of a right wing youth organisation before an incoming political officer decided to dispense with any pretense and just put in all the overt stuff about crushing the untermensch.  "We are on the verge of greatness, we must seize our destiny and be strong" - that kind of thing.
Anyway, I think it might be a bit early to call this as some kind of standard-bearer for the cause of SJW cultural Marxism, but it's also very generic and has changed genres from science fantasy to magical girl anime not a million miles away from something like Winx or Glitter Force. The animation is relatively crude but does the job (I certainly prefer it to the cheap and ugly CGI on Star Wars: Resistance), the voice cast is mostly okay but as usual for Netflix animation is stuffed with Aussie accents - the sooner we go to war with Australia the better - and I wish it was a lot better than it is, but it's merely "okay".
I suspect 8-13 year old girls may get more out of this than I did, as will people who don't like queer coding, because buddy, there is zero coding in this: lesbian couples just lez up onscreen, a male character tries to seduce a male guard to escape prison, the lead character rides around on a talking unicorn that flies using the power of rainbows, the main villainess even sleeps on the bed of the protagonist curled up like a frigging cat.  It's a real mystery why all those 30-40 year old single dudes on the internet dislike this.