Main Menu

2000AD Submissions

Started by kingsyn, 24 August, 2008, 09:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kev Levell

Quote from: "Pete Wells"Just wanted to say Kevlev, I was looking at your blog t'other day really like your work. I'd be more than happy to see that in my prog.

Quote from: "Bolt-01"Well Pete, that comment made me take a look at Kev's blog, and I think the artwork is top notch. Small press ahoy!

Thank you kindly. Nice to receive such fine comments from learned gentlemen such as yourselves.

Gibson Quarter

Its been my experience that Matt has been very helpful with his art crits. Its generally a 1 page letter highlighting some points that will help the work get stronger next time. It can take from 3 months to 2 weeks to get a reply, but they are well worth the wait.

As an artist, I NEVER enclose the script. He's a professional editor, so if he cant tell the 'gist' of the story from looking at your pages...then as a penciller you are probably doing something wrong.

I've not idea who Jenni-A is , but sending full size samples into Matt has worked for me.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Gibson
http://www.comicspace.com/gibsonquarter/

Oh and Thx shark for the art droids link...I'm gonna check it out.

Judge Wagstaff

Hey guys
 So I've read through this thread in detail and i made a submission a few years back with some pencil work, so i have a decent idea as to how it works. I have a few questions though and I hope they don't seem too outrageous! :)

Does it have to be either pencil, ink and colouring? Primarily i use Photoshop and i love using it for paintings etc. Would this be an acceptable form for application. In this day and age with the advancement of computers is it possible for 2000ad to be less rigid about what art form is used for applications? As long as we make a comic strip that tells a story well that's the main thing isn't it?

OR is there a reason why it has to be pencil, ink or colouring. Such as the editor wants to see that you can tell a story well in comic form using the traditional methods and once you've proven yourself you can look into other styles etc.

also would doing the ink in photoshop count? or should it be done on paper.

check my website: http://www.kbelshaw.com   to see the sort of work i do at the moment.

Also when applying i presume you guys leave speech bubbles and caption boxes empty as its the art that's being looked at, I think that's what i did before, just checking!

Thanks for your time guys!
check out my website: http://www.kbelshaw.com

johnnystress

I would imagine Photoshop or other digitally created stuff would be fine as long as it follows the guidleines of "must tell a story", knowledge of anatomy etc that Rufus posted earlier

very nice work on your site there

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: "Judge Wagstaff"Hey guys...
check my website: http://www.kbelshaw.com   to see the sort of work i do at the moment.

Excellent work, me old China. (Loved "Dark Depths")
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Judge Wagstaff

Thankyou Johnnystress and legendary shark! you inspire me with confidence to make an awesome submission :D

Legendary shark, I was thinking of using the script off Barney for 'Holed Up' seemed like a great little story that i would enjoy painting in comic form. However I see your a bit a of a writer yourself, I'd be interested in knowing more about your scripts.

Mardroid

Quote from: "the_legendary_shark"
Quote from: "Judge Wagstaff"Hey guys...

Excellent work, me old China. (Loved "Dark Depths")

It really is.

I like the definition of 'sketches' too. (I think of sketches as rough drawing, pencil work, but there is some seriously detailed gorgeous artwork there.)

Judge Wagstaff

Thanks Mardroid, your're too kind! :)

eoghainam

QuoteNew writers begin by submitting Future Shocks - five-page science-fiction stories with a twist ending.

Is that up to five pages. I'm sure I remember reading some shorter Future Shocks.

Kev Levell

Has anyone else noticed the 'new' little section on the front page for submission guidelines?

I only mention it as there are four sample/example scripts, that I'm pretty sure haven't been previously available.

Mardroid

Quote from: "eoghainam"
QuoteNew writers begin by submitting Future Shocks - five-page science-fiction stories with a twist ending.

Is that up to five pages. I'm sure I remember reading some shorter Future Shocks.

It's five pages now. I've written some potential scripts (yet to send in mind you, there's always a bit of tinkering to do) and it's actually rather hard to keep within 5 pages.

mygrimmbrother

Ooh that Terror Tale's interesting. Don't think I'm quite ready to submit to the prog, but will shelve that for possible a future crack. You making any headway with Tharg, Kevlev?

Emperor

Quote from: "Judge Wagstaff"Does it have to be either pencil, ink and colouring? Primarily i use Photoshop and i love using it for paintings etc. Would this be an acceptable form for application. In this day and age with the advancement of computers is it possible for 2000ad to be less rigid about what art form is used for applications? As long as we make a comic strip that tells a story well that's the main thing isn't it?

Looking at the guidelines linked to above it does appear Tharg wants B&W work and I'm sure I've read that America publishers in particular like to see uninked pencils. Which would make things tricky for someone like Judge Wagstaff - his work is really good but going fully-painted might make life tricky (but then going out of your comfort zone but mean you aren't putting your best foot forward) unless you were able to drop such a stunning piece of work on an editor that they'd be a crazy fool to turn you away.

Tricky.

Would another angle of attack work better?

• Perhaps work up some sequentially fully-painted samples and see how it goes, perhaps showing off a portfolio at comic conventions is more flexible than just submitting a sample script?
  • If you have some sequential samples then perhaps contact some of smaller indie British titles that work in colour - like Insomnia or Orang Utan? If you have something in paper form it might really help give people an idea of what you can do and how it transfers to the page.
  • Why not give B&W a whirl? It might work out better than you think - if you blog it up and/or post samples here I'm sure you can get some useful feedback. It'd mean you could speak to some of the small press publishers who largely publish in B&W and they offer a great venue for honing your skills in sequential storytelling

Just a few thoughts. It might not be a deal-breaker but it could require some creative battleplans.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Emperor

There are probably a number of threads giving people specific advice, like this recent one:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=24971

So don't be shy about starting your own one as everyone is going to be different (even if some there is some general advice - like: be sure to check out kevlev's blog ;) ).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Richmond Clements

Hey! You back right off Kev- he's my bitch!

Well, just as soon as I get the drokking script written for him that is!