Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

I'm on my 3rd playthrough of Thief on XB1 just now. I know the game got pretty slated, and it is incredibly rough around the edges. There was one bug where the timestamps on the game saves didn't allow for the clocks changing, so for about 4 days the game couldn't be played, which was probably the worst bug I've hit on something I've bought for a while. The weakest area technically is the audio side, so I'm really having to put my blinkers on and ignore all the issues (multiple instances of the same line of ambient dialogue triggering from more than one ped on a map at once, ambient conversations playing one-sided, lines looping, lines dropping out, sound effects missing, distant lines playing front-end, no drop-off on zones, occlusion more or less non-existent aaaaaaaaaaargh!) BUT despite all that I really, really, really like this game!

Played it on Normal, Master and now with all the custom difficulty modifiers on (don't get spotted, don't take damage, no abilities, that sort of thing) and I've found it more and more satisfying each time as my stealth skills are getting better.

Love the atmosphere, really think this is a pretty underrated game.

Also playing a ton of Titanfall because it hasn't gotten close to getting old yet. I had this happen at the weekend and the frantic scramble for a charge cable made for a very tight escape - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7rFNi-3bEo

So good.

Professor Bear

Turned on my 360 for the first time in nearly two years - I can't remember, is it normal for that white circle thing to sit spinning in the middle of the screen for minutes at a time when you turn it on? - to play State of Decay, which my brother had downloaded despite my vow to not give MS another red cent after they nicked money from my account and then refused to give it back.  It's alright, but playing it at the tail end of popular culture's love affair with zombies does it less favors than the shonky animation and lack of decent tutorial does.  I gather that it requires a few separate plays and a couple of offscreen permadeaths (that happen when your console is turned off) until you get a real feel for it, though.

Jetpac Refuelled
- sheer pick-up-and-play genius, all the better for the swell of nostalgia that accompanies it if you play the original ZX Spectrum version that comes bundled with the full game, colour clash and all.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: CheechFU on 12 May, 2014, 11:13:19 AM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 12 May, 2014, 04:23:01 AM
Many of my friends have a bad dose of Football Manager. A few claim to don a suit for cup finals. I remember hearing a story about a fella who played the same edition for several years. He sunk an ungodly amount of time into it, which I understand is de rigueur for this aficianados of this game. Won the English League and European Cup a few dozen times. He loved this game, he was really good at it too. Until he officially reprimanded his highest paid player* for getting too big for his boots, so the board of directors* fired him. He took the disc out and went down to his shed** to get his hammer**. He was screwed by conflated spreadsheets.

*Virtual

**Real

It's like Pokemon, The Sims, Command & Conquer and the most grindiest JRPG had a baby but it was badly deformed and a spreadsheet and smothered in meth and also made entirely of numbers and someone tacked fifa 96 match engine on to it

And it is gooooooooood
Lock up your spoons!

I, Cosh

Been playing FTL for the past week or so. It's infuriating/I'm shit at it*.

*Delete as applicable.
We never really die.

Theblazeuk

I, Cosh

Normal.

I think the furthest I've made is Sector 5.
We never really die.

Theblazeuk

I've only made it once on Normal.

Currently replaying on Easy to try and unlock the B layouts (and maybe the crystal ship. So close).

CrazyFoxMachine

Zero Punctuation did a great review of FTL recently. I will get it at some point - gamers were telling me of the Steam summer sale and I heard a muffled sobbing in my pocket. Twas my wallet that was weeping.

Wasn't weeping money though, dammit.

Theblazeuk

I picked it up for about £5.

So far I have played 32 hours (though possibly 5 hours of this is time where it was just running in the background)

Krakajac

Playing dEXTRIS on iPhone (free in the App Store).

Download at your peril - very addictive.

Keef Monkey

Squeezed in some Wolfenstein:The New Order the last couple of nights and am really pleasantly surprised with just how good it is. Expected a big stupid old school run and gun, and it does tick those boxes if that's how you want to play it. I'm mainly surprised at the versatility with which you can approach levels, either guns blazing or snauking around taking stealth kills or sniping from afar, and the maps are nice and non-linear too.

It starts quite badly and the first hour feels like a very generic shooter but as soon as you flash forward to the near future and the timeline has branched it looks and feels like a great 2000AD strip (the story pretty much is a Past Imperfect). The characters are well acted and written and the tone veers from B-Movie schlock to disturbing and affecting at the drop of a hat (it doesn't shy away from the Nazi nastiness one bit). I've just looked into it and realized that the studio is made up of ex-Starbreeze guys (them of The Darkness/Butcher Bay fame) so the fact the narrative is so well presented makes a lot of sense now.

Highly recommend it, gutted that I'm just a couple of hours in and will need to go on holiday and leave it for a couple of weeks!

I did grab a video of the moment I got hopelessly distracted by how nice the coffee physics are, it totally blew my cover - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6adjAcZCEA

Dr Feeley Good

Playing this on the Ps4, really enjoying it !

shaolin_monkey

That is some mighty fine next gen coffee!!

Krakajac

Playing a free iPhone game called 'Dextris' - strangely addictive!

Krakajac

Damn.  So addicted to Dextris, didn't realise I've already posted about it above.  :-[