Main Menu

New Rebellion collections - info & images galore...

Started by The Amstor Computer, 18 August, 2005, 03:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

I'm holding out for a complete Daily Star Dredd collection - thats COMPLETE! Well, all the Saturday strips at least.  Then a followup with the dailys - at least all the Wagner/Grant ones...

The Amstor Computer

Oh, that would be fantastic. A book in the format Titan use for their Blaise & Bond collections would be ideal...

The Adventurer

I'm new, what Cursed Earth episodes were banned?  And why?

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Art

Wow. Seeing Total War so soon was a bit of a surprise, and a very pleasing one, seing as I missed big chunks of it.

Steve Green

There are 2x 2part stories.

One was the Burger Wars segment which had a war going on between McDonalds and Burger King, and included a murderous Ronald McDonald.

The other one was a story about a scientist who looks exactly like Colonel Sanders of KFC, and is genetically engineering creatures that look like corporate icons, such as the Jolly Green Giant, Michelin Man etc.

More details here

- Steve

Link: http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Temple/1810/dreddban.htm" target="_blank">Banned Dredds

Noisybast

Surely Rebellion could work something out? Maybe print some sort of disclaimer stating that the pages are being reproduced for "historical" or "satirical" reasons, and include the "Giants are great really - look at all this processed corn" apology strip.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

paulvonscott

They could always ask.  They can't get into any more legal trouble by asking.

The thing is, the owners of 2000AD did do a deal at the time, to save them from a possible legal pasting, and it's hard to argue Rebellion should be allowed to go back on that.

'Go on, let us take the piss' might not convince them.  

I have the banned progs, and don't mind them being reprinted, I got most of mine cheap/free, thanks to the kindess of fellow squaxx, or as bargians.

Steve Green

Maybe they should dress someone up as Public Defender 314, he seems to get the job done :)

"Plays violin music, appeals to faceless corporate legal eagles..."

- Steve

The Adventurer

Can't you just call it Parody and be done with it?

At the worst case sinerio you change the names to sound alikes and take the corperate icons into photoshop to change the faces a bit.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

The Amstor Computer

Nope, I don't think so. I believe the laws affecting this kind of thing are very different in the UK, and as Paul says an agreement has already been reached between the companies and the owners of 2000AD at the time - and I wouldn't be surprised if that agreement was still effective today.

I'd be dead set against any alterations to the strips, especially if it meant getting someone to just muck about with the designs in Photoshop (!)

IMO, they should either be reprinted in full with an appropriate disclaimer or explanation (provided the relevant companies were agreeable) or not reprinted at all.

VampiraJen

Other than that - Amazon tends to list the 2K books as "Hard to Find Items" and list delivery times at things like 4-6 weeks.

oddboy - i preordered one of the books and the delivery estimate was 9-10th of dec.

The Amstor Computer

Which one?

Going by past experience - and this is coming from someone who has bought all of the Rebellion/DC titles - Amazon listings for these books usually work like this:

-- The title appears, without cover image, but with page count & release date & available for pre-order.

-- A few weeks later the listing is completed, with cover image, full details and book description. It's still listed for pre-order, and the delivery date is usually for a few days after the listed release date.

-- As the release date nears - to within a few weeks - the item changes to "available within 4-6 weeks" + "subject to hard-to-find" fee.

-- The release date comes and goes and the listing stays the same.

-- A week or so after release, Amazon Marketplace sellers have the title available. By now, Amazon might be listing it as available within 3-5 weeks.

-- Anywhere from a fortnight to a month after release date, Amazon suddenly change this to "available within 24hrs". Occasionally - and this was certainly the case at the start of the Rebellion/DC line - books remain on "4-6 weeks" for a few months after release, essentially making them unavailable through Amazon.

I would definitely avoid pre-ordering *any* of the Rebellion books from Amazon, especially given how fluid the release dates and release line-ups seem to be. Much better to bookmark a title you're interested in & check it every few weeks to see what the current status is.

VampiraJen

one can always cancel ones order if that happens

archangel 1

Dude! brilliant one question though,whenwhenwhen ohhh when are they coming? i have to have,good news keep it coming!!!!
;D

archangel 1

Hey there Watcher,Archangel here,i've got those Daily star Dredd's all of 'em,and they are worth getting i got mine on a Flea Market for a single solitary quid!!!!
And they are complete!!
including every Wagner/Grant strip that was published!!!
worth getting check Amazon or your nearest Flea Market!!!
;D