Main Menu

2000AD 40th Anniversary - 11th Feb 2017 - London

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 23 September, 2016, 06:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

We ended up bringing bottles down from the room, including a large Black Jack Schnapps bottle and 4 small bottles of vile schnapps  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pyroxian

Quote from: Steve Green on 12 February, 2017, 02:38:15 PM
I'm sort of in agreement that I think Rogue should be more grey/blue than smurf blue in a feature. Some of the Titan painted covers I think he looked better that way.

You'd think there would be some wriggle room - maybe it's swayed from not wanting it to look too outlandish, to blue characters in Avatar/GOTG/X-men making it not particularly unusual in genre films.

From what the Kingsley's were saying in the panel, they're open to some wiggle room - he wouldn't have to be the bright blue of the comics, but he should still be blue in some way. I think a more muted grey/blue would be allowable.

Hawkmumbler

Was INJ Culbard sat in a corner sipping at a water gazing in horror at the increasingly drunk rabble around him? :lol:

Steve Green

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 12 February, 2017, 04:17:37 PM
And the staff faces when they turned off the lights and said they'd only serve residents...

...then realised we were all residents

Like a boozy version of that Pagliacci joke.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

GordonR

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 12 February, 2017, 04:22:31 PM
Was INJ Culbard sat in a corner sipping at a water gazing in horror at the increasingly drunk rabble around him? :lol:

Ian turned up for his panel, did his panel and then fucked off home again.

Party monster, that one.

Link Prime

Jesus, what a day- almost overwhelming.

I didn't get all of the signatures, prints, sketches etc I was after, but am sitting here in the airport with a decent sized stash of swag- to be poured over in the temperature controlled climate of my own home.
Of course I'm going to forget everyone I was talking to last night, but it was a pleasure to meet up with Bolt-01, Mikey, Buttonman, 'Huff, DDD, Zen, Shaolin Monkey, Steve Green, Richmond Clements, Pete Wells, Commando Forces (cheers for that 1/2 bottle of schnapps CF) and of course my fellow countrymen Mike Carroll, Joe Soap and Gavin.
Had a great informal chat with a few creators too, notably Dave Kendall, Clint Langley, Nigel Dobbyn, Dom Reardon, Glen Fabry (that's "Faaabry", alright) & Alan Grant.

Everyone was dead sound in real life, which is no surprise really.

So many creators & boarders I wanted to say hi to, but either didn't get the chance or didn't know that it was you- yes you- standing right beside me.

I'll echo the sentiment regarding the absolute clowns behind the bar (and management), but it didn't take the sheen off the event for me.

Til next time.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 12 February, 2017, 04:19:04 PM
We ended up bringing bottles down from the room, including a large Black Jack Schnapps bottle and 4 small bottles of vile schnapps  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nowt wrong with that vile schnapps. It was the very last drink at the bar at 4.30am this morning. Me, Glenn Fabry, and that young Dutch dude split it three ways, toasted the con, and then bid each other goodnight.

So cheers for that John! :D

Link Prime

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 12 February, 2017, 05:02:46 PM
that young Dutch dude

I think that kid was Swedish.
Such feverish passion for a newly converted fan, it almost verged on psychosis.
Naturally, I asked him to join the forum.  :lol:

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Quote from: Pyroxian on 12 February, 2017, 04:20:45 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 12 February, 2017, 02:38:15 PM
I'm sort of in agreement that I think Rogue should be more grey/blue than smurf blue in a feature. Some of the Titan painted covers I think he looked better that way.

You'd think there would be some wriggle room - maybe it's swayed from not wanting it to look too outlandish, to blue characters in Avatar/GOTG/X-men making it not particularly unusual in genre films.

From what the Kingsley's were saying in the panel, they're open to some wiggle room - he wouldn't have to be the bright blue of the comics, but he should still be blue in some way. I think a more muted grey/blue would be allowable.

Not sure if the video has been posted anywhere yet, but the phrase "doesn't have to be turquoise" was mentioned...

sheridan

Quote from: Magnetica on 12 February, 2017, 01:16:35 PM
One thing that did strike me though was the disparity in the queue lengths for the creators. Predictably I guess the queues for Pat, John, Carlos, Fabry and Bisley seemed to stretch to Betelgeuse and back or mooovvvveee reeeaaalllly sloooowly (I never did get to Glenn as I prioritised the SD film instead) whilst some other truly top creators has no queue or a queue of one.

I couldn't understand that either.  Creators who have had very little published so far, or who had something published a long time ago but not much since I'd understand, but there was one or two who had had a lot published, including some absurdly well-recieved works, worked internationally but still producing comics for 2000ad but who had no queue at all when I went to them.  Couldn't understand it.

Dreddzilla

So any idea what this Big announcement for later this year will be?

Steamrunner

First up - my unending thanks to all the droids involved in making the 40th Festival happen. I had a fantastic day, met some legends and some future-legends too. Everyone was wonderful, and I came away with big smiles. And a sketch. And another sketch. And some page art.  And...   ;-)

For anyone interested - and assuming it's OK to post this here (admin?) - I've stuck some random photos from the event here:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/frontios/albums/72157680163565136

Rock on the 50th!!