Main Menu

Netflix recommendations

Started by JimmyNailz, 29 January, 2019, 02:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyroxian

Quote from: CalHab on 01 February, 2019, 11:27:15 AM
Isn't it written by Warren Ellis? I was tempted to watch it just because of his involvement, but the trailer made it look a bit rubbish.

I enjoyed Castlevania, but I'm not an Anime fan, so maybe that had something to do with it. It definitely helps watching Seasons 1 and 2 back-to-back though, as the first season is pretty much all setup for the second.

Professor Bear

It's fine as a cartoon, I guess, though even then there are plenty of better efforts to get through, like She-Ra and the Princesses Of Power, which is meant to be one of those shows whose heart is in the right place, but the makers for some reason chose to double down on the camp original's troubling Aryan imagery and themes (the main character's name is literally She Ra) by adding many of their own on top of the new setup of the various scions of dynastic privilege attempting to slow the progress of their enemies by arming undeveloped cultures and using them as cannon fodder.

JimmyNailz

I watched RUSSIAN DOLL in it's entirety over the weekend (8 x 25 mins episodes)
It's drokkin brilliant. It uses the "Groundhog Day" mechanic but becomes so much more. Top notch tellying!!!

JamesC

I really enjoyed The Last Kingdom.

The first two series were on BBC2 and the last series was on Netflix (now the whole thing is on Netflix though, so it doesn't matter if you missed it when it was on telly).
It's really good - vikings, saxons, swords, sex, violence.

It's based on Bernard Cornwell's novels which I haven't read, so no idea how faithful it is.