Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 28 July, 2011, 08:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 29 July, 2011, 08:30:46 PM
I still have to do a walkthrough one! May do it this weekend  :-\

The Inner Sanctum Unveiled!

Pete Wells

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 29 July, 2011, 08:00:17 PM
As with the Judge helmet the vision is terrible but with training, discipline and belief in your equipment it's easy to use and you just get on with the job when you wear it!

I believe that will counteract any argument about the vision from the helmet in the future!

Nah, I'm with the whole camera on the outside of the helmet projecting all kinds of views and stats on the inside. I hope we get to see something like that in the movie too...

vzzbux

I would go for the electronic image projection display in the bucket as well. That tech isn't that far from us NOW.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: vzzbux on 28 July, 2011, 08:12:14 PM
An excellent summary. ABCwarBOT needs to read this.

V

I have read what Commando Forces says and to be honest I agree with a lot of it.  My only real problem as I said in the other thread is the shoulders and the missing chain.   

I know Dredds uniform can't be translated exactly like it is in the comics.   That would be stupid.   He'd have massive shoulders which would restrict his movement and a massive chain which would get in his way.

BUT that still doesn't mean they had to round the shoulders off as much as that and make the left one so small.   Even just a bit bigger would have been ok......and even a smaller eagle jutting out from the right pad would have been ok and wouldn't restrict his movement > but still give him a more authentic profile.   

There was no need to go quite as far as that with the shoulder pads.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 28 July, 2011, 08:01:45 PM
Finally, having looked at the pictures in Empire and digested everything that I need from them, I have decided to comment and Grud says, 'it's all good'.

First up, the complete package! Helmet, badges, leathers, pads, Lawgiver and colour scheme, it's all there and it looks like a real uniform that could be worn on the streets to fight crime! Above all, that is what the uniform is for and so we don't need to see the extremes of certain artists work up on the big screen.

Having not read the script (why would I want to spoil the surprise) but sadly not being able to escape the gist of the storyline, this uniform seems to be from the early stages of Mega City One. Because of this, it has to be practical, hard wearing, easy to wear and distinctive in a crowd.

Before I continue, a bit of advice for anyone not knowledgeable with the Military/Police and the wearing of uniforms. You get issued two types, work and parade. Many people try and slightly alter the works uniform just to make themselves look a little better and usually are met with the phrase "it's not a FUCKING fashion parade!" on inspection.
Above all these uniforms are NOT bespoke, you get the size or nearest size to your size, that's life!

Helmet – When issued these you would be issued a stock size for your head. It's not made individually for your face and therefore some may not look right but they're not there to be all nice and pretty. It's there to protect primarily and secondly to help you stand out in a crowd to let the public see you, if they need your help. When that first picture came out, screams of it's too big flooded the net. I knew it was mainly down to the angle of the picture and the point above (Dredd is just one of many Law enforcers and so wouldn't be made an individual one).

Looking at the pic of four Judges in Empire on page 98, you can see this point. Lex has part of his cheeks in shadow and there is light between the bottom of the helmet and neck protector, so the helmet looks big. Alvarez looks spot on, his dark skin blends with the shadows and his neck protector is higher and goes up behind the back of the helmet, making it look smaller.
The Judge stood at the rear looks absolutely perfect. The smaller Judge, well I take you to my point about being issued your helmet. If the helmet is your size then unlucky that's the one you will be issued!

I have noticed that no-one has mentioned that your vision is extremely limited inside this type of helmet, good! We have to have this look otherwise it just aint Dredd, so let's move on!

Leathers/Body Armour – Spot on with the hard wearing, contact parts being reinforced and the areas where you need to breathe being made more accomodating (around the crotch – look at the cover). You can also see tiny holes around the body armour, probably to help keep you cool by wicking moisture away from you. You have to make a stand between protection and comfort and protection will always come out on top!

Shoulder Pads – Perfect for what is needed. As has been said by many a fan, these are as close to the original version of the Judges uniform as we have seen in a long time, close fitting and protective! There are no snag points on these, so you can shoulder barge your way through bodies and doorways without worrying about being slowed down. The eagle is embossed on the right hand shoulder, which is great and they are functional. They've even made them gold in colour, what more do you need! Some have mentioned the sloping shoulders, I take you to the point at the top, again!

Badges – The name badge reminds me of Stallone's a little and I can live with that. It's functional, flat (no hero badges here) and sunk into the chest armour (no snag points) so it's another practical part of the uniform. Okay, there's no chain but that's a grab point for a perp in close quarter combat and is a big no-no. Just look at the amount of clip on ties that have to be worn in certain jobs nowadays because it's a grab point enabling the wearer to be choked, similar stuff!

Elbow/Knee Pads – Again spot on and green.

Colour Scheme – This is perfect, with the helmet, the black/blue of the leathers, gold shoulder pads and green boots, knee and elbow pads

My final point is about the room entry picture on pages 100/101. This is superb, see how Dredd is balanced as his foot is hitting the door, none of that superhero bollocks here. The Lawgiver is in the two handed grip and so can't be knocked out of his hand as he advances through the perps upon entry. Once his foot smashes through that door his body will lean forward and the Lawgiver will be front and centre and perfectly in line with his vision.
Anderson has another perfect weapon hold and look how she is leaning into the fire position, with her body braced. Her eyeline is above the rear sights of her weapon (it's CQB –close quarter battle) as she doesn't need to aim over a distance. She seems to be stood slightly to the left of Dredd, covering the door in case anyone is in view behind it, covering fire needed!

If there are any points anyone wants clarifying I can go into certain stuff a bit bit more in depth if they want but I think that covers most of the uniform and the way it's used in the real world! I'm sure most of the long time members of the board know where I'm coming from, due to my history and so I can offer a more reasoned view over the uniform, especially one that can be used in counter terrorism!

Above all remember this from my wife, "Get a life, it's only a film!"

The divorce papers are going in tomorrow  ;)

There is however though one other fly in the ointment for anyone who agrees with everything Command Forces says about the uniform > and dismisses my argument about the shoulders.   

If the uniform had to have the shoulder pads altered for realism.........then what about the helmet? 

If the uniform is going for total realism.......then why is Dredds vision so restricted with that cross?   Why hasn't that been altered for realism?   That would restrict him more than any shoulder pad surely?

Or is it ok to have Dredds helmet stay the same so it looks like the comic version.........as Commando says...."We have to have this look otherwise it just ain't Dredd"......but it's not ok for the shoulders?

As Commando also says "so let's move on"

So it's ok to "move on" and ignore the realism flaw with the helmet but not ok to have the shoulders look more like the comics > even though they could probably have been done more authentic and still be realistic?

You all see where I'm coming from?

Matt Timson

Pffft...

Matt Timson

Pffft...

Matt Timson

Pffft...

COMMANDO FORCES

You need to read my post further along, I had a niggle all night about that. There was something in the back of my mind telling me there was a reason this was okay and it was the wearing of a respirator while I used to assault oil rigs and ships in British territorial waters, etc...
I had to be able to fast rope down from a chinook, or whatever was being used wearing it. Move through corridors/rooms/stairwells, etc... I had to be able use my primary and secondary weapons while wearing it. I had to, well you get the point.
Now how was I able to do that, training is how but unlike the Judges I didn't train for 15 years wearing it!

You must remember, training with constant drilling makes a lethal assault team work and produce the desired results. None of this shooting weapons out of peopled hands or going for a leg shot bollocks! If you turn a corner on an assault and confront an enemy, it's quite simple, he dies with the least amount of effort on your part. I'm going off on a tangent now.

I hope the helmet/respirator comparison has quelled your fears now! If anything being able to see out of a respirator is a lot harder than a Judges helmet and I've worn both!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I Bloody love the look of that uniform.

Mr. Forces. Your evaluation was a real eye-opener. The main point I took from it was that it's 'Standard Issue'. Those were the words I couldn't find to describe the appeal of this Dredd.

#Blaspemy Warning#

Y'know the way ye'd all happily debate 'Best Dredd Artist'? And everyone would argue:

'Carlos does the definitive Dredd'

or

'McMahon's Helmets are the most arsomest lookin'

or

'Ron Smith was undoubtably the architect of The Meg as we know it today'

And some one would mention Siku.

#BURP# (yes I've been drinking)

The way I see it, it's a hugely subjective debate about design.

And this Movie Dredd design?

I'd hold it up against any Dredd Artist you'd care to mention.

#BURP#

Chain notwithstanding* this Dre3D has all the elements that every Dredd Artist ever, has always used.

We all read a comic where the protagonists appearances are constantly re-interpreted.

If I was asked to define the 2000AD aesthetic, I couldn't. It has shown me some of the ugliest muddy panels I have ever seen. However, most of the time, there's panel after panel, page after page, of something that can only be defined as Thrill Power.

But after seeing this

#BURP#

It's radical yet familiar.

In a way I haven't seen in the Prog for a long time.

#Blasphemy ends#

*I am SO awesome at drunken typing
You may quote me on that.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 30 July, 2011, 12:31:42 AM
You need to read my post further along, I had a niggle all night about that. There was something in the back of my mind telling me there was a reason this was okay and it was the wearing of a respirator while I used to assault oil rigs and ships in British territorial waters, etc...
I had to be able to fast rope down from a chinook, or whatever was being used wearing it. Move through corridors/rooms/stairwells, etc... I had to be able use my primary and secondary weapons while wearing it. I had to, well you get the point.
Now how was I able to do that, training is how but unlike the Judges I didn't train for 15 years wearing it!

You must remember, training with constant drilling makes a lethal assault team work and produce the desired results. None of this shooting weapons out of peopled hands or going for a leg shot bollocks! If you turn a corner on an assault and confront an enemy, it's quite simple, he dies with the least amount of effort on your part. I'm going off on a tangent now.

I hope the helmet/respirator comparison has quelled your fears now! If anything being able to see out of a respirator is a lot harder than a Judges helmet and I've worn both!

I've no real problem with the helmet.   I prefer it to the Stallone version by a lot......but having made a quick mock up out of cardboard > there's definitely a restriction on vision there with that cross.

If you're really a member or ex member of a commando unit then don't a lot of those respirator helmets have a big piece of perspex for reasonable vision?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 30 July, 2011, 12:46:44 AMI've no real problem with the helmet.   I prefer it to the Stallone version by a lot......but having made a quick mock up out of cardboard > there's definitely a restriction on vision there with that cross.

Good thing people don't have to wear Judge helmets while watching the film then.

COMMANDO FORCES

As for your first point, I was and I have pics on my Facebook page showing such things and that includes one pic of me wearing the gear for an assault, while on a range but you can't tell that it's me, as I'm wearing a (this is what it was known as at the time) rapists mask. Plus many on the forum have met me and heard a few stories. I'm not Walter Mitty!

Anyway, back to the respirator. You have to remember that the lenses are quite a distance from your eyes, your nose covering is the equivalent to the Judges cross and you have bugger all peripheral vision. So as you can see it's just like a helmet. So we go back to training and lots of it, remember, practice makes perfect and 15 years of practice makes absolutely perfect, if you ask me   ;)

COMMANDO FORCES

This is killing me, as I'm at work using my phone, so I may not post for a few hours but I will later if you have any more questions.

What about this one! Why is his MASSIVE Lawgiver not held in a boot holster? I'll let you answer that one  ;)

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 30 July, 2011, 01:12:11 AM
What about this one! Why is his MASSIVE Lawgiver not held in a boot holster? I'll let you answer that one  ;)

Because it wasn't drawn by Carlos ;)
You may quote me on that.