Why you should'nt be so "comicy" about the new film

Started by mogzilla, 01 August, 2011, 10:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Goaty

I, Cosh

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 02 August, 2011, 10:26:01 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 02 August, 2011, 10:22:17 PM
I haven't seen Spiderman 2 either. For the same reason.
The same applies.
I just occured to me that I have seen Blade 2 and it's miles better than the first one, so maybe there's something in this.
We never really die.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Cosh on 03 August, 2011, 09:43:12 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 02 August, 2011, 10:26:01 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 02 August, 2011, 10:22:17 PM
I haven't seen Spiderman 2 either. For the same reason.
The same applies.
I just occured to me that I have seen Blade 2 and it's miles better than the first one, so maybe there's something in this.

Hmm, Guillermo Del Toro?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 03 August, 2011, 09:56:00 PMI just occured to me that I have seen Blade 2 and it's miles better than the first one, so maybe there's something in this.

Hmm, Guillermo Del Toro?

blackmocco

"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Hoagy

Hmmm both these sequels have former BROS heart-throbs in the bad-guy rolls. Maybe that's the something you're all kinda looking at hmmm?
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Misanthrope

Quote from: Krombasher on 04 August, 2011, 12:45:55 AM
Hmmm both these sequels have former BROS heart-throbs in the bad-guy rolls. Maybe that's the something you're all kinda looking at hmmm?

Most of the pop stars in this country have actually trained as actors, so it would be no surprise to see them pop up in acting roles once their music careers have died.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Mardroid

I think Luke Goss is better as an actor than he was as a pop star.

Okay, that's probably not fair as his singing voice wasn't bad, and the girls loved Bros but... well... not my thing.

Regardless the characters he played in both films were great. Bad guys, but... not altogether so.

Fuzzed

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 03 August, 2011, 09:56:30 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 03 August, 2011, 09:56:00 PMI just occured to me that I have seen Blade 2 and it's miles better than the first one, so maybe there's something in this.

Hmm, Guillermo Del Toro?

His imagery is terrifying. Watching Pan's and Devil's was seriously disturbing. If he directed Dredd, I'd probably have to watch it in daylight. With handholding.

Quote from: Mardroid on 04 August, 2011, 02:16:36 AM

I think Luke Goss is better as an actor than he was as a pop star.

Okay, that's probably not fair as his singing voice wasn't bad, and the girls loved Bros but... well... not my thing.

Regardless the characters he played in both films were great. Bad guys, but... not altogether so.

I thought he was the drummer, the other twin the singer.

He made one scary elf in Hellboy II, the way elves are in myth. And I was really impressed with his martial arts form, unless that was mostly the stunt guy. But yes, good actor.

Another sequel he was in - Death Race 2. With Sean Bean. Love Beany.

CYCLOPZ

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Fuzzed on 04 August, 2011, 07:25:05 AMAnd I was really impressed with his martial arts form, unless that was mostly the stunt guy.
Judging by the DVD extras, that was mostly him. To me, it looks very much like a guy finally handed a leading role after years of hard work and grabbing it with both hands.

I, Cosh

Yeah, I was really surprised by Goss in Blade 2. However, I think there's the same element of UK pop culture incongruity which makes us so much more impressed by Ian McShane as Al Swearengen than maybe others would be.
We never really die.

Hoagy

Ian McShane was a pretty hardcore actor in the early 70's too, though. Some obscure film with Oliver Reed provides that proof. We just got caught up in the awful Lovejoy pants. All his works combined he proves to be a particularly dexterous actor.

And Lovejoy proved to be very popular with the previous generation to us. Sparking a bit of roughly, smoothly romance with the laydees.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

ABCwarBOT

I'm not saying ex pop stars can never act but I'm not a fan of them being cast in certain movies and tv shows. 

I never liked Billie Piper in Dr Who and Mark Whalberg in films like Planet of the Apes for a start.  When I see Piper I just think > that's that teeny bopper who sang that annoying pop song (and I'm not impressed by her acting either). 

Same with Whalberg, I just think 'Marky Mark" from New Kids on the flippin Block when I see him.