Main Menu

The Complete Zenith

Started by James Stacey, 29 May, 2013, 12:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Quote from: radiator on 29 May, 2013, 02:49:09 PM
QuoteIf we assume those books would be about £8 to £12 each, then add something for the upgrade to hardback, we're already well past half of this £100 charge.

I actually think it's more likely that going by current pricing each separate phase in paperback would be closer to £14/15rrp, with phase 3 probably nearer £17/18 as it'd be a pretty chunky book, so yeah, it's not as outrageous as it initially sounds.

Indeed. Thanks for that.

Also, let's remember this: unsavoury as it may seem, a publishing company exists to make a profit. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that Rebellion should have a mark-up on something which will definitely prove popular.

Yes, they are following the second-hand market and pricing their reprint in that area, but why shouldn't they? It's not a utility company hiking their price so that old ladies freeze. It's only a book. If it's too expensive, don't buy it. I understand that people want it cheaply but - as I tell my children - wanting and getting are different things.

</dad>  ;)

Hawkmumbler

This is all well and good, but what if I want this THB but lack the funds to do so? Anyone know anyone in need of a kidney?

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Frank

Quote from: GordonR on 29 May, 2013, 12:39:15 PM
http://comicsbeat.com/zenith-lives/

The important bit:

Quote'We have informed Grant of our intention to republish, but we maintain that we own the rights to reprinting the series.'

It's priced to offset the cost of the court case.

Colin YNWA

One thing that's being banded around that makes a softcover release seem unlikely, at this stage at least, is the way Rebellion are releasing it, via their shop only, is a way to cut out Diamond who are apparently nervous around anything that might be heading to litigation (not that anyone's saying this will by the way) and so by selling exclusively themselves, in a premium edition they get the biggest return, with the minimum of fuss, in terms of having to distribute.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/05/29/grant-morrison-and-steve-yeowell-informed-about-rebellions-plans-to-publish-the-complete-zenith-by-rebellion-direct-for-100/

Mind it is Rich Johnson saying this so ya know!

James Stacey

If Morrison doesn't kick off about this release, surely he has no basis to complain about a trade paperback following it.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: James Stacey on 29 May, 2013, 03:37:04 PM
If Morrison doesn't kick off about this release, surely he has no basis to complain about a trade paperback following it.

I think it'd be more a case of Rebellion having to distribute it themselves, or via someone other than Diamond which they may not want to do. Though of course if Grant Morrison doesn't act against this would that change the legal status of the whole thing? Armchair lawyer I ain't.

Spikes

The old progs will do for me, but £100 isnt asking a lot really, for this.
Not that im saying £100 isnt a lot of money, because it is. And just how much do peeps spend on other more disposable stuff - day in day out?
Not out until December? That's a good ways off, yet. More news to come, id imagine.

Patrick

I'm not a lawyer, but I have worked in a paralegal field, so this is my interpretation. The press release says Morrison and Yeowell have been "informed" of what Rebellion plan to do - in other words, they've been put on notice of a potential breach of copyright. The limitation period for a copyright claim in the UK is six years, which starts when you're put on notice, i.e. when you became aware of the breach. So Morrison and Yeowell have six years to issue legal proceedings. If they don't, then six years from this press release Rebellion can say their claim to ownership is uncontested, and they can reprint it whatever way they like - which probably means cheaper paperback reprints somewhere down the line. Same if proceedings are issued and Rebellion win. What happens if Morrison and Yeowell win? My guess is they take it to DC, who own all the IPC characters in Phase 3 and 4.

(I assume Rebellion have cleared the use of the IPC characters with DC. If not they could see themselves sued, not just by a couple of freelancers, but by a huge multinational corporation with very deep pockets.)

Making the book available for pre-ordering so far in advance of publication, at such a high price, is an interesting move. If Morrison and Yeowell issue proceedings, then the book can't be published until the proceedings are settled. But if they issue proceedings after a pre-orders have been received but before publication, I don't know where it leaves those pre-orders. My guess is, the intention is to turn the fans against the creators for preventing them receiving the books they'd paid for.

Whatever, this book is a legal ploy, a challenge to Grant Morrison to put up or shut up. Time will tell how wise that is.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Patrick on 29 May, 2013, 04:10:38 PM
I'm not a lawyer

Making the rest of your post a fantastically unwise thing to post on the official site of the publisher whose motives you are questioning.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Trout

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 May, 2013, 04:17:30 PM
Quote from: Patrick on 29 May, 2013, 04:10:38 PM
I'm not a lawyer

Making the rest of your post a fantastically unwise thing to post on the official site of the publisher whose motives you are questioning.

Cheers

Jim

Hmmm. Yes. Sorry, Patrick. I'm not a lawyer either but I do have an LLB. Let's not dismantle this issue too openly.

- Trout

Grant Goggans

Quote from: sauchie on 29 May, 2013, 03:34:40 PM
It's priced to offset the cost of the court case.

That was always the rationale employed by record stores in California when asked about the high costs of their bootleg LPs...   :lol:

Patrick

Jim, Trout, you're probably right. Unfortunately I don't seem to able to edit the post. If a moderator wants to remove it, I wouldn't object.

Darren Stephens

Just wish I was a little richer. Only really remember the first book, so would love to reread the rest. Anyone else tempted?
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

James

But the burning question still remains: will I be able to buy a Zenith t-shirt?