Main Menu

The Complete Zenith

Started by James Stacey, 29 May, 2013, 12:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: opaque on 01 June, 2013, 12:47:17 AM
I know exactly what I'm getting with Kickstarter...

I think you need to read the terms and conditions on Kickstarter!  Kickstarter guarantees you nothing - you are pledging money to help achieve a project goal you think is worthwhile, once the target sum is reached you have got what you wanted (achieved the funding goal) and your donation will be taken, and any material benefits you receive afterwards are basically incidental.  Obviously you hope the funded folk will send you a product, but that's not why you sent the money, and there's no comeback.

Pre-ordering from Rebellion is entering into a contract - they get your money, you get your book or have access to the usual avenues of reddress. 

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

The only issue is if Rebellion go bust in between taking the pre-order money and the ship date. If that happens the £100 is history.

To avert this possible disaster I recommend that everyone spends as much money as possible on Rebellion products.

Mark Taylor

Well at this stage we really don't know what we're getting. I'd happily pay £100 for a nice oversized, slipcased, beautifully bound edition like the Ultimate Sandman volumes I have sitting on my bookshelf. For a more regular sized hardback with a fairly ordinarly binding - such as the recent 'Deluxe Edition' Marshall Law reprint which I also have (from Amazon for under a tenner) - not so much. For that, £40 max.

Mark Taylor

Sorry, I meant of course Absolute Sandman, not Ultimate.

radiator

Really torn on whether to get it or not. As Mark said, ideally I'd like to see

radiator

Oops...

..More details before I slap down the cash. I suppose its relatively low risk as the book is bound to become a collectors item and will presumably at least hold its value I one wanted to sell it on.

opaque

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 June, 2013, 08:06:12 AMKickstarter guarantees you nothing

I tend to be buying books from people/websites I already know and trust and for which the product has already been created, so it's just a way for them to get the money up front.

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 June, 2013, 08:06:12 AM
Pre-ordering from Rebellion is entering into a contract - they get your money, you get your book or have access to the usual avenues of reddress.

And wait months. Just like Kickstarter. Which is the point I am making.
Of course we'll get the book but it's not already been printed yet has it. Just like Kickstarter.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: opaque on 01 June, 2013, 01:50:04 PM
Just like Kickstarter.

Apart from it being fucking nothing like Kickstarter.

Strong in this thread, the stupid is.

Bah.

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

opaque

So if I buy Zenith on July 1st I'll get it right away? No I won't.
Pre-ordering is an interesting development for Rebellion and I think the best way of actually making the shop grow

opaque

With the Termight book as well I mean

IndigoPrime

Quote from: opaque on 01 June, 2013, 03:48:32 PMSo if I buy Zenith on July 1st I'll get it right away? No I won't.
That's called pre-ordering, which is commonplace everywhere (and, depending on terms, either drains your bank account at the point of order or when the item ships). Kickstarter is nothing like that: you're funding a project. That's it. If you don't get what you paid for, tough. If you don't get anything, tough. With the Zenith book, you're entering into a contract with Rebellion, and Rebellion is obliged to provide said goods. It cannot turn round in July 2014, six months after you 'funded' the project and say "well, here's a book about kittens" or "actually, here's nothing at all—sorry". (Kickstarter's slightly better these days from a guarantees standpoint, but it's still a hell of a long way from a standard transaction.)

Steve Green

One of the reasons why Kickstarter is not some magic solution as some people seem to think.

sheldipez

There's a bunch of kickstarters where the creators have disappeared into the night. Big difference between that and pre ordering.

opaque

Which is why I don't put big money into something with someone I've not dealt with before on Kickstarter.

I know pre-ordering. I buy books as part of my job. There is pre-ordering and there is pre-ordering. This is a long time (as is the Termight book) to be waiting.
And when I pre-order books they don't take the money until it is shipped.

My point is that this is not normal for the majority of peoples experiences.
I'm not saying it's bad, just different, as others have said as well.

I wonder how quickly they expect the 1000 to sell out. The timer seems to run out at Midnight, so does that mean someone will be sending out an email for the correct shop page then? Or someone will be loading it up onto the public shop at midnight?

Art

I would totally pre-order a pre-order of this, if I could.