Main Menu

The Complete Zenith

Started by James Stacey, 29 May, 2013, 12:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: opaque on 04 June, 2013, 09:49:15 PM
Wasn't it you could on the normal and not the special edition?
That's what I thought. I'll be irked if I was wrong.
We never really die.

robert_ellis

What can we expect from THE COMPLETE ZENITH? Well phase I is 81 pages, Whitlock and Payne add 10 more. phase II is longer at 93 pages. The non Steve Yeowell Maximan and Mandela annual/special stories add 16 more pages. Phase III is a whopping 133 pages of inter dimensional warfare. Mark miller pops in for a 6 page barely Zenith related (although good fun) text story Tales of Alternate Earths. Phase IV adds 82 pages. ZZzenith is 8 pages of craziness plus the 1 page from a night 2 remember. This gets us to 430 pages plus 3 star scans, 17 covers from 2000ad and the 2 best of covers. Perhaps the Titan reprint covers and the odd datafile and the odd pin up. I'd seriously love it if Steve Yeowell could redraw the 2 stories he didn't illustrate. Did I miss anything? Putting COMPLETE on a cover is a serious boast!

Trout

Quote from: robert_ellis on 04 June, 2013, 10:12:26 PM
What can we expect from THE COMPLETE ZENITH? Well phase I is 81 pages, Whitlock and Payne add 10 more. phase II is longer at 93 pages. The non Steve Yeowell Maximan and Mandela annual/special stories add 16 more pages. Phase III is a whopping 133 pages of inter dimensional warfare. Mark miller pops in for a 6 page barely Zenith related (although good fun) text story Tales of Alternate Earths. Phase IV adds 82 pages. ZZzenith is 8 pages of craziness plus the 1 page from a night 2 remember. This gets us to 430 pages plus 3 star scans, 17 covers from 2000ad and the 2 best of covers. Perhaps the Titan reprint covers and the odd datafile and the odd pin up. I'd seriously love it if Steve Yeowell could redraw the 2 stories he didn't illustrate. Did I miss anything? Putting COMPLETE on a cover is a serious boast!

I'd pay £100 for that!

Hawkmumbler

Second! Complete is complete.

robert_ellis

Buttonman

Don't want to break an embargo here but the following images could well be included if completeness is to mean fan art and quality is not an issue...

TordelBack

Nicely done, Sir.

Mikey

Agreed. If I snag it, I might have the original progs up for grabs at not unreasonable rates.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

James

On top of Yeowell redrawing the stuff he didn't originally draw (is his older style please), I would love to see the whole thing presented in black and white line if the original films are still available. And a T-shirt.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Yeowell redrawing somebody else's strips would be a travesty, and also a waste of his talents.

The only way to do this book - and indeed the way I am sure it will be done - is with complete fidelity to the original material.

robert_ellis

I'd usually agree with you. Many strips have changed artists and I've enjoyed seeing the strengths of different interpretations - particularly nemesis the warlock or Slaine. Zenith is a different kettle of fish since Steve yeowell drew 99% of it and was too busy to do the extra stories. I mean no disrespect to Jim McCarthy and Carmona but I'd love to see what yeowell would have come up with from the same Grant Morrison script. An I the only one?

IndigoPrime

Nope. My ideal Zenith collection also has him redraw those two stories, along with having a black and white plate for the colour page of Phase I and somehow reverting Phase IV to colour. The annual/special stories would be included in their original forms as extras, perhaps two pages per page.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 June, 2013, 12:52:16 AM
Nope. My ideal Zenith collection also has him redraw those two stories, along with having a black and white plate for the colour page of Phase I and somehow reverting Phase IV to colour. The annual/special stories would be included in their original forms as extras, perhaps two pages per page.

You should do a Kickstarter...

Trout

But you'd need a time machine. Every artist's style evolves over time, so Yeowell now is not Yeowell back then. I'm not keen on seeing things redrawn. It happened as it happened and we should accept it.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Trout on 06 June, 2013, 01:07:50 AM
But you'd need a time machine. Every artist's style evolves over time, so Yeowell now is not Yeowell back then. I'm not keen on seeing things redrawn. It happened as it happened and we should accept it.

Words of wisdom.

Yeowell did a great job on Zenith, and I love his work, but I have no desire to see him redraw the two interludes or indeed the covers he didn't do. Nor do I wish for Morrison to rewrite the text story Mark Millar contributed.

I can understand why it might be nice for to have a single artist throughout, but that's not quite how it happened and the last thing Zenith needs is Lucasification.