Main Menu

The Complete Zenith

Started by James Stacey, 29 May, 2013, 12:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

...but not in this section of the forum. Odd.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 June, 2013, 04:14:13 PMI wasn't being harsh, I was singing their praises!  It's a good thing!  Bolland for everyone, on any budget!
Ah, right. Apologies. There's so much grumbling about formats/trades/etc. here that I misread your comment similarly.

Mardroid

Quote from: Recrewt on 18 June, 2013, 02:34:09 PM
Something like this is fine for those already familiar with the story and collectors but is your average 16 year old going to drop a ton to have this?
It's not aimed at them though. It's aimed at those who frequent the site, mainly 30 plus guys who grew up reading these stories.

Technically that doesn't include me either (although I'm sure Rebellion would happily take my money, and ;) ) as I'm well in the age bracket but I'm a relative newbie to the prog as I only started reading a few years ago. So I haven't read any Zenith. I'm intrigued and I would like to pickup a collection, but not at that price.

If these 1000 copies all sell well and quickly I reckon paperback collections in our price bracket will be published though as others have said.

Mardroid

Argh! Extra 'and' before the smiley. Silly android predictive typing software tries to be too clever.

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 18 June, 2013, 04:56:33 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 18 June, 2013, 04:14:13 PMI wasn't being harsh, I was singing their praises!  It's a good thing!  Bolland for everyone, on any budget!
Ah, right. Apologies. There's so much grumbling about formats/trades/etc. here that I misread your comment similarly.

No apologies necessary, that's exactly how it read!  For the record my position is that no-one is forcing anyone to buy this stuff, not even Burdis, so the more formats and editions the wider the potential audience, as long as it makes enough coppers to keep Tharg on Earth.

Mabs

I was quite interested in getting a copy.....and then I saw the price! Damn. That is a bit steep if you ask me, as much as I love my comics...... :(
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Molch-R on 12 June, 2013, 12:19:09 PM
Right, the clock on the front of the website should *finally* be showing the correct time...

Which makes it 2:30am Tuesday Central Ausxtralian Time.

Rightyo.

Stevie's swound up the alarm clock...

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 11 June, 2013, 06:09:22 PM
Be prepared for the shop to crash...

...& informed his manager that he will be unavailable for work later that day.

Just in case.  ;)
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Noisybast

Quote from: Mardroid on 18 June, 2013, 04:56:41 PM
It's not aimed at them though. It's aimed at those who frequent the site, mainly 30 plus guys who grew up reading these stories.

I'm a 30 plus guy.
I grew up reading these stories.
Much as I'd love to have Zenith on my bookshelf, this release is not aimed at me.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Large48

Am I the only one that though Zenith was a bit pony?
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Frank

Quote from: Large48 on 19 June, 2013, 09:00:33 AM

I lost interest somewhere during Phase Three, but I think that was mostly due to the way the story was published in what seemed like four episode chunks, several months apart, and the fact that it was obviously trading on being a burlesque of the huge superhero crossover stories I hadn't read, still haven't read, and have no interest in reading. I really enjoyed all the other phases, and Phase Three reads much better in one sitting.

I'm going to sound really stupid, but it wasn't until the Crisis On Infinite Earths shenanigans of the third story that it dawned on me that Zenith was a superhero story. The use of the tropes of WWII familiar from countless UK British boys comics, the occult references, the seamless interweaving of UK pop culture and politics into the narrative, Morrison's fetish for the sixties, the sense of humour; I enjoyed all those things more, and they seemed more important to what made the story work, than the fact the title character wore a domino mask and could fly (sometimes, depending on his biorhythms).

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Large48 on 19 June, 2013, 09:00:33 AM

Looks like you've saved yourself a hundred

Jimmy Baker's Assistant