Main Menu

The Complete Zenith

Started by James Stacey, 29 May, 2013, 12:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Taylor

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 27 June, 2013, 03:51:16 PM
The dimensions shifted me from "But the price..." to "Yeah, paperbacks please".

Yeah I'd made my mind up to go for it but if the dimensions and description are correct I've changed my mind. It's a nice volume, but far from £100 worth of nice.

Also, can't stand dust jackets. They just get in the way when reading and serve no purpose when not reading. Seriously, if your books get dusty on the shelf you just need to clean more often than, say, once a year. For a volume this pricey I want a slipcase or nothing at all. Got the hardback edition of Rian Hughes' "Yesterday's Tomorrows" and thought it was all the better for not having the ubiquitous dust jacket. I'd throw them away but that would only slash the resale values.

JOE SOAP

I do prefer full picture-printed hardcovers myself.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Richard on 27 June, 2013, 10:49:22 PM
This article lists all of the stories in the book, and the list omits the "Zenith Interlude" episodes. So unless the article is not accurate (hope so), it's not actually complete.

Suspect the other interludes are all included, but not explicitly mentioned because they are Morrison/Yeowell efforts.

matty_ae

Richard-

I dont think they are missing any interludes.
'Whitlock' and 'Peyne' were include in the second titan book and as they use their titling, I'm sure that's the case here.

Interestingly the 4th phase was meant to be called Jerusalem but no mention of that here.
So i thinks its exhaustive, if a relatively expensive case file.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: matty_ae on 28 June, 2013, 08:26:30 AMSo i thinks its exhaustive, if a relatively expensive case file.

Relatively expensive, yes. You can pick up volumes 1 to 10 of the Judge Dredd Case Files on Amazon for slightly less. Alternatively you can pick up 7 or 8 volumes of the colour case files for about the same. A few of the B&W volumes are only, what, 80 pages short of the size of the complete Zenith. 160 for the colour ones. I appreciate the value of the Zenith material is perceived as being higher because the material has been unavailable for so long, but let's be realistic: The same can be said about a fair proportion of the material reprinted in Dredd's Case Files.

TordelBack

I'm not sure if my vote counts here as I had decided as soon as the price was announced that I'd be skipping this, but I really like the look of the book.  I agree that dustjackets are just a PITA, but the cover design is lovely and while I love the Titan size in general I'm not sure I'd fancy wrestling with a 480-page hardback in those dimensions.  Even when I find considerabely thinner Absolute editions in the librar

TordelBack

...y ( ::)) I find them offputtingly uncomfortable to read, the very definition of coffee-table book. I like something I can read in bed, and I like that this would nestle on the shelf with the other casefiles rather than sticking out all over the place like my Lost Girls and Art of Watchmen.  That said, I'm not getting it, so it's all a bit moot.

ming

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 27 June, 2013, 08:49:29 PM
Don't think anyone has posted this up yet: MAD MENTAL CRAZY! The True Life of the Fabulous Zenith. First part of a series about the history of the creation of Zenith and it's copyright struggles.

Yup.

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 June, 2013, 05:52:36 PM
Long piece by Laura Sneddon...

http://comicsbeat.com/mad-mental-crazy-the-true-life-of-the-fabulous-zenith/

Is it July yet?  :)

opaque

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 June, 2013, 08:55:56 AM
and I like that this would nestle on the shelf with the other casefiles rather than sticking out all over the place like my Lost Girls and Art of Watchmen.

Does look like that is the main factor which does kind of make sense. Thing is when the TPB version comes out at some point (as it hopefully will) it will be exactly the same size but without the hardback cover.
So really it's the gamble of it not being released or that it will be split into seperate books again in tpb maybe?

Mind you I'd totally forgotten again, we won't get this for a long time yet anyway will we even after ordering it on Monday.

opaque

So we won't be able to judge for ages either.

TordelBack

Quote from: opaque on 28 June, 2013, 09:53:51 AM
So we won't be able to judge for ages either.

As if that'd stop us!

opaque

Just means we've got months more wondering, pondering and conjecture ahead of us! :)

IndigoPrime

Quote from: opaque on 28 June, 2013, 09:53:30 AMThing is when the TPB version comes out at some point (as it hopefully will) it will be exactly the same size but without the hardback cover.
That makes the assumption that the same volume/format would be used. I imagine if Rebellion finds itself in a position to release Zenith in a more standard manner, we'll end up with four books, not one.

opaque

Very likely. But then the release dates for multiple volumes might be over maybe a year, and if it's a year until the first one comes out after the limited edition volume comes out at the end of the you are talking about having to wait until Christmas 2015? before you'd have the complete Zenith collection. So £100 now sounds even more sensible!

matty_ae

Quote:

"That makes the assumption that the same volume/format would be used. I imagine if Rebellion finds itself in a position to release Zenith in a more standard manner, we'll end up with four books, not one."

Interesting. Why? I dont think Rebellion publishing any other 80 - 120 page books any more and all those old ones like verdus etc seem to be low sellers. Also they'd have to generate new covers for each one. And they couldnt really pack them out with even more pin-ups as it would rather annoy previous buyers. I think this is most likely the only format sans hardback.