Main Menu

The Complete Zenith

Started by James Stacey, 29 May, 2013, 12:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Taylor

Quote from: matty_ae on 28 June, 2013, 12:34:59 PM...I dont think Rebellion publishing any other 80 - 120 page books any more...

They certainly are. Ampney Crucis: Vile Bodies, Absalom: Ghosts of London, and Shako, to name three TPBs all released in the last 18 months or so and all three weighing in at under 100 pages.

Dash Decent

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 28 June, 2013, 05:45:45 PM
Well, it has always appeared to that Australia is in the middle, with the U.K. on the left and the U.S.A. on the right :-\

That's because whatever country you live in prints their world maps with their country in the middle.

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 28 June, 2013, 04:42:07 PM
Thing is, I was under the impression, America was behind us in Australia and the U.K. was in front.

Here in Oz AEST is 10 hours ahead of GMT (or UTC).  Being British time, GMT is the real true time and all other places in the world are either ahead or behind, but not the real true time.  Amen.

If ever you want to check, just right click the PC clock in your system tray and pretend you're changing the time settings.  The time zone setting will remind you how far ahead of UTC we are.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 June, 2013, 04:59:09 PM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 28 June, 2013, 04:42:07 PM
Thing is, I was under the impression, America was behind us in Australia and the U.K. was in front.

You're wrecking my head, man!   :lol:

This is like every single skype conversation my mother has with my brother in Sydney:
"Is it Wednesday with you yet, love?".
"It's Thursday, Mam."
"But it's Wednesday here and it looks dark where you are".
"That's cos it's after midnight".
"On Thursday?".
"Yes.  I mean no.  Maggie, what bloody day is it?"

"No, you put the clocks forward and the trains back." : D
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 27 June, 2013, 01:07:05 PM
it seems to have US dimensions (at least height wise) rather than reproducing the art in its original size (as printed that is).

Oh dear.  That's a big stumbling block.

So far the only resistance I've had is that we haven't heard much about how good the quality of the book is.  A book ribbon is nice but for that price I want to be assured it has sewn in sections and good quality paper and nice crisp reproduction.  For that price I was also expecting the dimensions to be correct, or at least a lot closer to the original size.  A volume to shelve next to the hardback Thrillpower Overload for example.

I got the magna-sized Rogue Trooper this week.  While squinting at the artwork, you can't help thinking how small it is, whilst noticing the huge amount of blank space above and below.  Of course there's no practical way of utilising it given the format and the dimensions it was originally designed to be published at but the Zenith book could've been any size.

I hope that when ordering is opened up in a few days time they publish a shot of the open book so every punter can get a fair idea of what it looks like before they order, rather than end up with deflated expectations later.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dash Decent on 28 June, 2013, 08:56:08 PM

I hope that when ordering is opened up in a few days time they publish a shot of the open book so every punter can get a fair idea of what it looks like before they order, rather than end up with deflated expectations later.

I don't really know about the time scales on these things, but would an actual copy exist yet? If it did I'm sure they'd show off how super it was. My guess is this ain't even printed yet?

Dash Decent

There's a photo of the book floating around showing both the front cover and spine, so I assumed copies existed.  It could be a mock-up I suppose.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

opaque

There's also a shadow underneath it that I don't think is real either ;)

Probably mock ups or maybe 1-2 real trial versions for quality and printer decisions but as they won't be shipping them out till December 1st the 1000 can't exist yet. After all they'd have to have lots of loose cash floating around to have already paid for them now. They're taking our pre-order money and then getting them published surely?
If they weren't then theres no reason for the delay so they can't exist yet, can they?
Quick find the mysterious warehouse they are being stored in!! :P

Dash Decent

Quote from: opaque on 28 June, 2013, 10:50:52 PM
There's also a shadow underneath it that I don't think is real either ;)

That's neither here nor there.  You can take a photo of a real item, remove all the background to show it in isolation and add an effect to give it some lift.  A fake shadow doesn't automatically discount it from being real.

Quote from: opaque on 28 June, 2013, 10:50:52 PM
Probably mock ups or maybe 1-2 real trial versions for quality and printer decisions but as they won't be shipping them out till December 1st the 1000 can't exist yet. After all they'd have to have lots of loose cash floating around to have already paid for them now. They're taking our pre-order money and then getting them published surely?

Most definitely, but I had assumed there would be a sample copy or spread about they would use to show us some of before we buy, even if it only appeared on the webpage going up on 1st July.  I'll reserve judgement until then but as a customer I'm making them aware what I'd like to know/see in order to induce a purchase.  A decent sized quality reproduction is enough to make me buy, a blind buy is not.  It may be they want the extra time to get the best set of scans possible, but if so they need to say.  Caveat emptor.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

opaque

Quote from: Dash Decent on 29 June, 2013, 12:24:28 AM
That's neither here nor there.  You can take a photo of a real item, remove all the background to show it in isolation and add an effect to give it some lift.  A fake shadow doesn't automatically discount it from being real.

Of course it doesn't. But this (http://instagram.com/p/bBw_m3zV49/) is saying it's not gone to print yet at the very least.

Most definitely, but I had assumed there would be a sample copy or spread about they would use to show us some of before we buy, even if it only appeared on the webpage going up on 1st July.

Which of course they might (still got time), but then I don't think we've seen any of the limited edition Nemesis  (just the very cool prints we'll be getting) yet either have we and that's sold out. Could be wrong though, I waited for a while to order that.
Of course what would be very cool would be something along the lines of that video of the self made volume someone posted from YouTube.

I'll reserve judgement until then but as a customer I'm making them aware what I'd like to know/see in order to induce a purchase.

Might be too late by then. There may well be enough people (as it's obviously aimed at US customers as well) to sell out really quickly anyway without needing to do anything else. There is no need for some people to see anything atall, they'd just buy it blind. And for some people the £100+ isn't an issue either.

Bolt-01

The Great Trade Robbery was originally planned for Zarjaz and would have been in the November issue, but events have conspired against us and so we present it here for you.

Words by the Emperor, astoundingly good art by newcomer to Zarjaz Jason Davies and letters by Bolt-01.

O Lucky Stevie!

Stak! Jaw to the floor brilliant.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Grant Goggans

*round of applause*

That is terrific!

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

That's a lovely strip, and credit to Jason Davies for an amazing debut.

Frank

That is fucking brilliant. I love the metafictional trap, and the incredibly assured art manages to throw in a few visual tropes from early Yeowell without ever looking like a pastiche. You might have shot your Bolt-01 too soon in pulling such a fantastic piece of work from publication; you would only have had to rewrite a few lines of dialogue to make it relevant to the current situation, where a book which has a street value of £100 and which certain parties might not want reaching the shops might or might not already be sitting waiting to be shipped out (see discussion above).

The Complete Zenith will be published at a time still to be determined by Heisenberg Press.

klute

Is there any indication on  how much the deposit is for the book or is it full price up front?
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.