Main Menu

The Complete Zenith

Started by James Stacey, 29 May, 2013, 12:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPP

A £100 non-transferable loan of the book would have solved your ebay distaste. Ya'know, like Apple does for iTunes.

Better call Saul....
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Hawkmumbler

Link Prime

Quote from: sheldipez on 19 October, 2013, 09:15:48 PM
People should just wait for the inevitable paperback versions, the hardback got out there with no issues

No one else has mentioned this, so it's probably bullshit, but I've heard from a "reliable source" that the reason the hardbacks were posted early was to avoid pending legal action by Morrison.
Glad they were distributed by the way, as I personally think GM is in the wrong in this particular case.

Regarding the EBay controversy; if someone's dumb enough to pay £400 for a book, it makes me feel 75% less dumb for paying £100 for it in the first place, so Grud bless 'em.
I've no intention of profiteering from my (still undelivered) copy by the way, just commenting that I couldn't (or shouldn't) give a white shite about what anyone else does with their own property.

hippynumber1

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 19 October, 2013, 09:57:17 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 October, 2013, 09:20:11 PM
I've no problem with your opinion but going by your thinking on this, my point was would it not also make those who buy it on ebay 'scumbags' since they're feeding the seller and this type of market? I don't think it follows that you can blame one and not the other.

Interesting question, and I don't necessarily agree with your logic, but I guess I would say that buying from such a seller is probably not the right thing to do.

No doubt genuine second-hand copies will start to appear soon, which will give people keen to obtain the book a better option.

I'm interested to know what you think about the copy that was listed at 99p and eventually sold for £395. There was no demand for an inflated price, people freely bid it up to that price, no-one was 'forced' to pay above and beyond the original £100 price-tag...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Link Prime on 20 October, 2013, 02:09:58 AM
No one else has mentioned this, so it's probably bullshit, but I've heard from a "reliable source" that the reason the hardbacks were posted early was to avoid pending legal action by Morrison.

Not sure why you're repeating it if you think it's bullshit. I'm pretty sure it is bullshit — Morrison's own words in an interview with arch-Mozza-apologist Laura Sneddon indicate that the legal issue is dead in the water.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 20 October, 2013, 09:39:33 AM

I'm interested to know what you think about the copy that was listed at 99p and eventually sold for £395. There was no demand for an inflated price, people freely bid it up to that price, no-one was 'forced' to pay above and beyond the original £100 price-tag...

I Still think the person who listed it is a scumbag as they bought the book with no intention of reading it. The poor sap who paid £395 may have been able to buy a copy from Rebellion had the speculators stayed away.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 20 October, 2013, 10:42:58 AM
I Still think the person who listed it is a scumbag as they bought the book with no intention of reading it. The poor sap who paid £395 may have been able to buy a copy from Rebellion had the speculators stayed away.

Welcome to the capitalist free market in action!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 October, 2013, 10:48:59 AM

Cheers

Jim

Several people have said stuff like that, although presumably not all are hardcore Thatcherites that believe in totally unregulated markets.

opaque

Surely they would be blaming Rebellion for not fulfilling the demand that the market has? ;)

I'm very happy with it but the cost does make you think. If someone was to knock at my door now and give me £400 would I give it up? Maybe. I could buy a lot more GN's that way.
But it's a numbered edition!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 19 October, 2013, 09:08:15 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 19 October, 2013, 07:34:17 PM
Well, if anyone was being 'forced' to buy it, you may have a point...

I remember you've banged that drum already, when people bitched about the original price tag.

However, I don't agree with you. I think Zenith is too good to be restricted to a handful of readers, and in particular that this amazing edition should be enjoyed by 1000 genuine comic fans, not treated like a tradable commodity by opportunist sad acts who think they're Gordon Gekko.

Welcome to the real world.

Skullmo

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 20 October, 2013, 10:42:58 AM
Quote from: hippynumber1 on 20 October, 2013, 09:39:33 AM

Maybe this 'scumbag' originally bought he book with the intention of reading it, but in the interim period they were diagnosed with a terminal illness. Rather than setting up a meth lab to pay for their treatment they decided to sell all their unread books on Ebay.
It's a joke. I was joking.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 20 October, 2013, 11:24:57 AM
Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 19 October, 2013, 09:08:15 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 19 October, 2013, 07:34:17 PM
Well, if anyone was being 'forced' to buy it, you may have a point...

I remember you've banged that drum already, when people bitched about the original price tag.

However, I don't agree with you. I think Zenith is too good to be restricted to a handful of readers, and in particular that this amazing edition should be enjoyed by 1000 genuine comic fans, not treated like a tradable commodity by opportunist sad acts who think they're Gordon Gekko.

Welcome to the real world.

Yep. If we were living in an anarcho-syndicalist commune, things would be different, I'm sure. But we ain't.

Frank

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 20 October, 2013, 11:11:48 AM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 October, 2013, 10:48:59 AM

Several people have said stuff like that, although presumably not all are hardcore Thatcherites that believe in totally unregulated markets.

I'm struggling to think of anything I've ever bought where the vendor imposed conditions upon the resale of the item. Even in the case of houses, cars and guns, the government only wants to know the name of the purchaser, rather than telling people how much they can charge or who they can sell to.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Mardroid

Quote from: Skullmo on 19 October, 2013, 09:24:54 PM
I bought my copy because I ran out of toilet paper. . . . Thankfully I got some more in the meantime! Although it is running low!

Do those cash machines dispense notes in fifties? ;-)