Main Menu

The Complete Zenith

Started by James Stacey, 29 May, 2013, 12:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunk!

Taking the day off work today to read my Complete Zenith with phase 4 for the 1st time.

Well, TBH it's to recover from The Lakes International Comic Art Festival, but Zenith is a big bonus.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Link Prime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 October, 2013, 09:44:52 AM
Quote from: Link Prime on 20 October, 2013, 02:09:58 AM
No one else has mentioned this, so it's probably bullshit, but I've heard from a "reliable source" that the reason the hardbacks were posted early was to avoid pending legal action by Morrison.

Not sure why you're repeating it if you think it's bullshit. I'm pretty sure it is bullshit — Morrison's own words in an interview with arch-Mozza-apologist Laura Sneddon indicate that the legal issue is dead in the water.

Cheers

Jim

Only mentioned this cause the source is normally bona fide impeccable, and was interested if anyone else had heard it.
The outcome is all that matters now I suppose. Glad it played out without incident.

Dunk!

Read Phase IV.

Oh dear.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

radiator

Quote from: Mark Taylor on 20 October, 2013, 11:14:37 PM
Y'know, I'm a pretty dedicated collector when it comes to my 2000AD graphic novels. I've basically bought everything Rebellion have put out, with the exception of multiple editions reprinting identical content (like ABC warriors hardback and softback editions - I only bought the hardbacks). In the case of The Complete Zenith I personally felt the asking price was too high for the for the format being offered. For £100 I want something as special in presentation as an DC Comics style Absolute Edition (I have all 5 'Sandman' volumes plus 'Death' in that format).

So, I didn't buy it. Of course, this messes up the completeness (in terms of published content) of my collection. Yup. Sure does. But the point is nobody was forcing me to buy it then, nobody is forcing me to buy it now, and in fact in reality no body is forcing anybody to buy it at any point. If the price is too high it is within anybody and everybody's power to 'just say no'. Food, you're forced to buy (if you want to live)... a comic book, not so much. I'm really having no difficulty to speak of living with my slightly-less-than-complete collection of Rebellion published 2000AD Graphic Novels.

I'm pretty much in the same boat - I decided not to order, and though I must admit to feeling a bit jealous seeing the books start to arrive for others, at the end of the day I stand by the decision - £100, though I could afford it, is simply too much money to spend on a book I'll in all likelihood only ever read once or twice, no matter how rare or lovely it is. In all honesty I think I'd feel a little guilty if I had have bought one. I understand the reasons and justifications for the cost, but it's just a personal preference that I wouldn't pay more than, say £70 or £80 (and that would be pushing it a bit).

Must admit though, in hindsight I do slightly regret not ordering myself one and ordering a second copy via slightly underhand means, then selling the spare copy to recoup or subsidise the cost of the first!

IndigoPrime

@radiator: Agreed on the not-ordering. Even now, there's a twinge of regret, but 100 quid was too much for me at the time, the week I lost most of my income without knowing how things would pan out. On two copies, though, I don't regret that for a second. Scalpers annoy the crap out of me, and it would be hypocritical to do the same myself.

As for Phase IV, I'm of the opinion it wraps things up nicely. It's creepy, interesting and has some great moments and twists. I can't stand the colouring (I wish there was some way to eradicate colouring from a Zenith special edition, but it's just not possible, without hundreds of hours in Photoshop), but otherwise it's a story I still enjoy.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Molch-R on 16 October, 2013, 05:56:22 PM
The warehouse droids are extraordinarily busy at the moment, so if you get no response drop a line to press@rebellion.co.uk and I'll see what I can do.

Hi Molch-R,

Are you able to say if all copies of the Zenith hardback have been shipped, or if some are still in the process of being despatched?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Molch-R

Quote from: Dash Decent on 22 October, 2013, 01:37:44 PM
Are you able to say if all copies of the Zenith hardback have been shipped, or if some are still in the process of being despatched?

It very much depends where you live, Earthlet.

Dash Decent

I'm in Sydney - but although I'm certainly interested in mine, I was hoping you might be able to give a blanket reply for all the board, e.g. all UK mainland & European orders despatched, Rest of World despatching through this week.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Molch-R

The remaining copies are going out this week.

Spikes

I guess most will have seen this, but on FB, 2000ad is giving away a copy. To stand a chance of winning, you just have to be signed up to receive the weekly Thrill-mail.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: radiator on 21 October, 2013, 04:29:54 PM...I understand the reasons and justifications for the cost...

Interesting, I haven't seen any reasons and justifications given for the cost. I probably missed it because there is a whole lot of this thread I haven't actually read (and don't have time to trawl through). Anybody care to point me in the right direction as I'd be interested to know? Thanks.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 09 October, 2013, 08:35:26 AM
Have those that have been delivered so far all been Yodel? If so, mine's never going to be delivered; they've never delivered anything successfully to me (with the exception of one graphic novel that they removed from the box and folded in order to force through the letterbox!)  >:(

Yodel. Hahaha.

Yodel, having attempted to deliver a package to me when I wasn't at home, dropped a card through my letterbox. The card directed me (via a website - had I not had internet access I wouldn't have been directed anywhere at all) to collect the item at a delivery office which, in fact, turned out not to exist. I didn't find this out straight away, of course. No, I spent the best part of an hour and a half driving around some industrial estate thinking it was google maps that had gotten it all wrong, because surely Yodel would know where their own delivery office is located, right? As it turned out, the delivery office I'd been directed to had been closed down several months previously.

I then attempted to find out where my package was actually located. This is where things started to become really frustrating. Firstly, Yodel proved nigh impossible to contact by phone (as in to actually speak to someone, if you like listening to a variety of completely useless recorded messages then get in there). When I did finally (after calling about half a dozen different numbers) get to speak to a bona fide human being, they were completey unable to inform me as to where my package was, in fact, located. Nor were they able to suggest who might be able to furnish me with such information.

In fact, I never did find out. I just had to let nature run its course and let Yodel return the package to Amazon after the period in which I was supposed to pick it up finally expired, at which point Amazon refunded my money.

Second. Worst. Customer. Service. Ever. - Topped only by B.T. back in the late nineties, but that's a whole other story of epic incompetence combined 'company policy' seemingly designed for no other purpose than to piss the customer off.
Rebellion, if you have any respect for your customers whatsoever, please, please don't use these utterly useless idiots for anything ever again.

P.S. Yup, contrary to my complaint in the previous post of not having time, I have been trawling through the thread after all (actually I really don't have time, I should be doing other stuff and am being quite naughty by not doing it).

Skullmo

When is the complete Big Dave hardback coming out?
It's a joke. I was joking.

IndigoPrime

They should use Interlink next time, which as far as I can tell is some kind of anti-Yodel. Probably pricier though.