Main Menu

2000ad and Rebellion at Comic Con 2019

Started by Colin YNWA, 22 July, 2019, 12:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I'll give this a new thread in case more pops up - and I'm not sure where else to put this - but a nice write up from The Beat about the Satire or Super Cop at San Deigo this year

https://www.comicsbeat.com/sdcc-19-judge-dredd-satire/?fbclid=IwAR38wuR_egiYDswPgDzRFMoJK_f3NXt_-f8jsqF2FXSc8QnoUmR6aY9HJWc

Bolt-01

Greg M.

Quote"...this series is what happens when you put someone privileged in a bad neighborhood, give them a gun, and tell them to make sure people are behaving."

Except it's much more interesting than that, because Judge Dredd is not privileged - he and the other judges gain no tangible benefits from their position. That's a big part of what's sustained the series for so long.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Quote from: Greg M. on 22 July, 2019, 02:34:07 PM
Except it's much more interesting than that, because Judge Dredd is not privileged - he and the other judges gain no tangible benefits from their position. That's a big part of what's sustained the series for so long.

Yup, the word privilege is odd, being a Judge sucks from what I've gathered. There was another line too "It's an oppressive system who treats people lesser because they're not privileged.", are the Judges motivated purely by identity politics and I never noticed?

An interesting question to me is could Mega City 1, which is seemingly constantly at war with technological and biological threats from within and without, ever actually become a 'normal' democracy with minimal police powers anyway? I don't see how myself!

Do they record these panels? Would be nice to watch!