Main Menu

Game of Thrones: the last series [SPOILERS]

Started by sheridan, 15 April, 2019, 11:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Dudley on 23 May, 2019, 07:05:10 AM
Quote from: radiator on 20 May, 2019, 10:32:28 PM
Why is there still a Night's Watch?

Same reason there was a Night's Watch prior to the events of GoT - you need guards against wildling raids and it's somewhere to stick unwanted scions of Great Houses.

Why would there be wildling raids?  The Gift is theirs if they want it.

sheridan

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 22 May, 2019, 07:51:31 PM
Quote from: radiator on 22 May, 2019, 05:57:23 PMEach to their own. Personally I found it quite jarring that we go from surveying the wreckage of Hiroshima to lightheartedly joking about brothels so quickly.

It was the most human response: We still have to get on with the mundanity of running this place, feeding and wiping people's arses, but let's still have a sense of humour amongst ourselves.

There's also a very well established narrative thread to follow up the grimmest part of a story with something to lighten the mood - look to murders in Shakespearean plays proceeded by a humorous scene or character.  Almost certainly goes back to the birth of narrative works in Greece (that we know of) and Mesopotamia (which are a bit more fragmented), so nothing at all jarring about a recent TV programme doing it.

Dudley

Quote from: sheridan on 23 May, 2019, 08:57:20 AM

Same reason there was a Night's Watch prior to the events of GoT - you need guards against wildling raids and it's somewhere to stick unwanted scions of Great Houses.

There are many factions of wildlings, not all of whom are going to meekly obey Jon Snow. Raids will happen again.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Dudley on 23 May, 2019, 10:33:16 AM

There are many factions of wildlings, not all of whom are going to meekly obey Jon Snow. Raids will happen again.

Don't forget all the Grumpkins and Snarks
You may quote me on that.

Dudley

Quote from: Mister Pops on 23 May, 2019, 11:19:23 AM
Quote from: Dudley on 23 May, 2019, 10:33:16 AM

Don't forget all the Grumpkins and Snarks

How could we?  They've all come out in the open to comment on Season 8.

Richard

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Frank on 22 May, 2019, 10:29:00 PM

Maybe regular viewers got over this years ago, but The Dink's dinner theatre Shakespeare delivery is worse than the 'British' accents on Frasier. *

* Dinklage is great, though

He isn't totally spot on with the accent, sure, but the guy is an incredible actor with planet-sized charisma.  He's probably done more to increase respect for dwarfs than anyone, ever.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 23 May, 2019, 03:50:53 PM
He isn't totally spot on with the accent, sure, but the guy is an incredible actor with planet-sized charisma.  He's probably done more to increase respect for dwarfs than anyone, ever.

Keep an eye open for The Dink in Netflix's adaptation of The Last Sons of America, based on a rather good comic what I lettered.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steven Denton

Quote from: Leigh S on 22 May, 2019, 05:28:16 PM

I can see the psychological approach to Grey Worm, Steve, I just dont like what it does for the character or dramatically for the fizzle out "non-threat" of Jon and Tyrion being prisoners. If they ahd let the Unsullied sail out with Jon Snow's head on a spike, Ned style, that might have worked....

If the Grey Worm had killed John Snow he would in turn have been killed. he would be sailing no where. In the sense that cutting off a leader from the norths head would guarantee war executing him would indeed echo Ned Stark.

The Dothraki would fall apart as fighting force as they are tribes that were held together by the mother of dragons. the unsullied would stick with Grey Worm, but they are occupying a destroyed city, with no supplies, surrounded by a hostile continent and a army, with no chance of reinforcements. in short they would be screwed. Their best outcome if they were to kill John Snow would be for Grey Worm to die whist doing it. None of which improves things. the fact he walks back from being a monster and negotiates is the most positive outcome the character could hope for whist making any sense at all.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 May, 2019, 03:59:09 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 23 May, 2019, 03:50:53 PM

Keep an eye open for The Dink in Netflix's adaptation of The Last Sons of America, based on a rather good comic what I lettered.

Fair play, Jim. Must get the comic too. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Robin Low

Quote from: radiator on 22 May, 2019, 05:57:23 PMEach to their own. Personally I found it quite jarring that we go from surveying the wreckage of Hiroshima to lightheartedly joking about brothels so quickly. I think the ending overall was very cynical and bleak, given the context,  though as I mentioned before I did like where Jon's story ended up.

It was the most human response: We still have to get on with the mundanity of running this place, feeding and wiping people's arses, but let's still have a sense of humour amongst ourselves.

I thought there was also something in his tone that suggested it was more a comment on the past, rather than purely a joke. It was something he did before the world became so much less funny, before he had responsibilities to anyone other than himself.

Regards,

Robin

radiator

Quote from: Robin Low on 23 May, 2019, 06:29:17 PM
Quote from: radiator on 22 May, 2019, 05:57:23 PMEach to their own. Personally I found it quite jarring that we go from surveying the wreckage of Hiroshima to lightheartedly joking about brothels so quickly. I think the ending overall was very cynical and bleak, given the context,  though as I mentioned before I did like where Jon's story ended up.

I thought there was also something in his tone that suggested it was more a comment on the past, rather than purely a joke. It was something he did before the world became so much less funny, before he had responsibilities to anyone other than himself.

Regards,

Robin

It wasn't simply the joke itself, more the overall tone of the second half. The lighter tone just seemed a little hard to swallow given that these people are dealing with the biggest massacre in the history of their world. Even Aegon's conquest pales in comparison to what Dany did. Just seemed a bit odd to me that they had a few scenes of the aftermath, then it's back to business as usual. Another knock on effect of the rushed pacing I suppose.

JayzusB.Christ

A bit of light-hearted relief after all the misery and political tension, was the way I saw it. Worked for me.

I didn't mind the fast pace so much; it's what happens when cold wars heat up.

JayzusB.Christ

Also just realised that Ser Davos's correction of Bron's grammar was a lovely little touch. He only learned to read recently, and the little girl who taught him was yet another innocent victim.

I may be misremembering, but did someone once correct Davos himself on the same double-negative error?

JayzusB.Christ