Main Menu

Hello from a new member

Started by Dan Banks, 22 April, 2013, 07:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Banks

Good evening ladies and gents,

My name is Dan, I'm from the gloomy north west and I've just recently jumped head first into the world of 2000AD.

My first prog was 1820 but that turned out to be a tricky starting point (not including Dredd) so I started really reading from prog 1824 and haven't looked back. I've also started reading the megazine and am looking forward to getting involved in the discussions in their relevant forums (I've already lurked about a bit while waiting for my account to be okayed).

I've also grabbed Dredd Case Files #1 to give myself a bit of a starting point and have ordered Zombo Vol. 1 as I have no clue whatsoever about that strip.

Anyway, thats me. Hello all and see you around!

Frank

Quote from: Dan Banks on 22 April, 2013, 07:59:31 PM
I've also grabbed Dredd Case Files #1 to give myself a bit of a starting point

Hiya, Dan. There's are fewer stories about giant robot gorillas these days, and Dredd never mentions his time on the moon anymore, but everything else is pretty much the same - give or take shooting a few rabid toddlers in the face at point blank range, here and there.

COMMANDO FORCES

Welcome aboard Dan. The things you have yet to see from the progs long gone, lucky bugger :-[

Snuffers

WELCOME, DAN.
I too am new to the forum and only started progs from 1824 as it was advertised with all new beginnings. There's a lot in here, man! ROGUE TROOPER! A.B.C! NEMESIS! WOAH!
SO MUCH THRILLLLLLL L LL L L L AIEEE *boom*
@NigelSnufkin

Spikes

How do Dan, and welcome to the forum  :wave:

Dan Banks

@sauchie, that is good news! I've been taking most of these early stories for what they are, harmless fun mostly with the writers trying everything and seeing what sticks. I'm about halfway through so have had the robot Gorilla and an unbelievable amount of Walter. It's sort of oddly charming and seriously irritating at the same time. Still I've had a taste of what to come and I reckon it's worth the wait.

@COMMANDO FORCES, I look forward to them all. Even the bad ones. Any reccomendations by the way? Besides the obvious Dredd Case Files 2-19...

@Snuffers, Haha, that's kinda how I feel as well. So much to read and so little time!

@Judge Jack, thanks, glad to be here.

Pete Wells

Hi Dan (and Snuffers!), always great to see new readers.

If you need any help with characters or stories, just give us a shout!

Link Prime

Welcome to the forum Dan!

Echoing CF, I'm almost jealous of the amount of sublime Thrills ahead of you.

Recommendations based on my own personal faves / obvious classics that should be readily available;

'The Ballad of Halo Jones'
'Slaine' The Horned God
'Bad Company' Books 1 & 2
'Nemesis the Warlock' (Complete Books 1-3)
'ABC Warriors' The Black Hole
'Judge Dredd' America
'Indigo Prime' Killing Time (available in Complete Book)

And hundreds more I can't think of right now...

Colin YNWA

Welcome aboard Dan. Hope you enjoy exploring the world of 2000ad as much as I think you will.

As for recommendations what stories are you enjoying in the Progs you have read and what other comics, or stories do you enjoy. The great thing about 2000ad is it has such diversity there's all sorts of variation in what people think are the best stories.

Have fun.

darnmarr

Dan Banks

Thanks again for the warm welcome gents.

@Link Prime, that looks like a good list to bash through! Spoilt for choice might be the term to use here...

@Colin_YNWA, have I found a fellow merseysider already?! Or perhaps a scot... As far as what I like, I suppose top of the pile is the out-in-space style sci-fi. E.g. I've just read the Ghostship Mathematica in the latest prog and loved the scale of it and I'm reading Valiants X-O Manowar as well. But I wouldn't like to niche myself too much, I enjoy all sorts for example, Dandridge is my favourite strip in the current prog line-up which is about as far from deep space as you can get.

Colin YNWA

Yeah ex-Merseyside (Woolly back) happy living in Sheffield these days.

If you like deep space Sci-fi maybe Shakara will be up you're street? Its bloody brilliant! Mind good that you don't want to be pigeon holed as that's just what 2000ad offers you.

Dan Banks

Well ex-merseyside still counts I'd say but I'm from the Wirral so not really scouse either!

Just looked up Shakara, synopsis sounds right up my alley. Cheers for the tip!