Main Menu

Does Anybody Know Anything About...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 20 June, 2011, 07:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

...washing machines?

I have a Hoover H130M and all it does is just go round and round and round. It doesn't pump any water in, it doesn't pump any water out and it doesn't spin. It just goes round. And round. And round. I've tried kicking it, but that didn't work. I've also had the top off, but the extent of my knowledge on such things is limited to checking if it's on fire or not. (It isn't.) No wires hanging off, nothing out of place.

Any ideas that don't involve getting a £100/hr man in?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

This may sound stupid but you have checked that nobody has switched off a water stop cock somewhere in the house without your knowledge.  I dismantled a shower several times before discovering that the father in law was shutting off the wrong stopcocks.

If you can figure out where the pump is, feel that and you should get an idea of whether it is working or not (a vibration if it's pumping. If it's not pumping, it could be that no power is getting to the pump).

If it's not physyical problem and related to the control board, You can also google for reset codes on the internet. If you are lucky, you might get a combination of turn dial left, turn dial right, press this button, press that button that resets everything.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, Tips. Good suggestions all, unfortunately to no avail :( I bet it's that bloody computery circuit board type bit. I wish I could just do away with that altogether and make the machine just wash, rinse and spin. I'm a single man, ffs, what do I need with all these weird programs? I mean, delicates for Gawd's sake. Delicates??

Anyway, I've done the wash in the bath instead.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

blackmocco

Sounds like the pump's fucked. Mine did the same.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Peter Wolf

Do not call in a repair guy in until you have talked to the manufacturer as they should give you an honest appraisal of the problem and recommend a repair guy that is affiliated to Hoover.

It sounds like the circuit board and if its not going into the spin cycle or any other cycle then that must be it.I get tired of everything having to be computerised like cars as its one of those examples of technology being more hassle than its worth.

My machine is manual.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

The Legendary Shark

Thanks guys. I reckon it's the circuit board too. Also, the minute I pegged the washing out the Heavens opened. I fecking hate wash-day.

I think manual's the way to go. What make & model's yours, Peter? Would you recommend it?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 20 June, 2011, 08:59:31 PM
Thanks guys. I reckon it's the circuit board too. Also, the minute I pegged the washing out the Heavens opened. I fecking hate wash-day.

I think manual's the way to go. What make & model's yours, Peter? Would you recommend it?

Although right now I'd be happy with a dolly tub and a mangle.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Peter Wolf

Its a Bosch of some description and its 10-12 yrs old.

I dont want to recommend it or say anything else about it because as soon as i do it will go wrong.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

The Legendary Shark

All right then, I promise I won't get a Bosch :D
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

...keeping cool in bed on hot, sticky nights?

I have an experiment planned. Even now my hot water bottle is filled with cold water and languishing in the freezer. Will the rubber object to this and suffer a catastrophic perishing during the night? I'll tell you in the morning...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

Quote...keeping cool in bed on hot, sticky nights?
I imagine talking about washing machines or experiments with water bottles in teh freezer would guarantee that not a lot hot or sticky happens in bed.

I should have caveated my washing machine advice with the fact that last time I tried to do these things, we ended up calling out an engineer and he had the original problems to fix PLUS he had to retrieve my screwdriver from the machine innards.

The Legendary Shark

Heh.

The cold water bottle experiment went very well indeed. The only downside was that sleeping with what was basically a large chunk of ice wrapped in a towel reminded me of what it was like being married.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

To be fair, that does depend on who you are married to.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Unless you have a very weird metabolism you shouldn't need to sleep with an ice-bottle in the Britsh climate, unless you still have your central heating on at night. Have you tried throwing off the covers or sleeping under just a sheet? Or open a window - for added breeze, prop the bedroom door open (to avoid gust-driven slams!) and open a window on the other side of the house to create a through-draft.

And don't worry about sudden perishing. This is a long term effect of water on rubber, not an overnight phenomenon, I know that boiling water can cause perishing, so I'd imagine that cold water would be less of a problem than hot. But I wouldn't swear to it - H2O behaves oddly at freezing point and below - get it close to absolute zero and it's genuinely freaky!

I totally agree about over-complicated computerised machines. The time has passsed when a generally handy person could take most machines to bits and just fix them - You need a Phd and a sci-fi laboratory these days just to work out which bit's fucked.