Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnystress

Ive just been over to Borders, it seems I've missed a lot of the good stuff , lots of empty shelves

I did get a good haul of graphic novels and a couple of CDs though.

They still have a load of Manga and they even have Thrill Power Overload- half price makes it about 25 euro-still a bit pricey for me.

The queue was ridiculous, might try and get in again early tomorrow morning

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Quote from: johnnystress on 18 July, 2009, 04:35:10 PM
Ive just been over to Borders, it seems I've missed a lot of the good stuff , lots of empty shelves

Any idea of the closing date at all?
This is a massive disappointment, I love that place.

johnnystress

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Thanks johnnystres, must try and make it up there next week then.

TordelBack

...went to our professional institute conference yesterday to have confirmed what we all knew already - well over 80% of my profession is now out of work.  52% of full time staff and 82% of contract staff lost their jobs between June 2008 and January of 2009 alone, and it's only got worse since.  What larks.  Luckily I've been staving of bankruptcy on a weekly basis for two years straight now, so it's no real hassle for me, but it was grim to see so many old friends left on the bench.

Went to see Harry Potter afterwards for a cheer up.  No luck.  For some inexplicable reason they left both [spoiler]the climactic battle and the happy ending out (Bill and Fleur don't appear at all)[/spoiler].  Thanks, lads.

TordelBack

Aw shite - screwed up the spoiler tags and can't seem to edit or delete.  Buggerybugger.  Sincere apologies, folks.  If there's a mod about for Grud's sake zap it for me!

Roger Godpleton

The Castlevania movie is being written and directed by the creator of Saw. Fuck that.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Dandontdare

The Big  Green Gathering, a lovely 5 day hippyfest in Somerset that I've been going to since 2002 has been cancelled at the last minute by the council and police. They cite fears of crime and disorder which is just laughable - you couldn't find a more harmless bunch of sandal wearing crystal-toting organic veggie pacifists if you tried. Radio 4 were going to do gardener's question time for drokk's sake!

It was due to start wednesday and now i'm stuck here in Bristol seething with anger whereas normally these 5 days are enough to charge my chill batteries for the year ahead!

SuperSurfer

... yesterday went into central London to do some shopping with the Mrs. Victoria Line was closed for maintenance and severe delays on Picadilly Line because someone was "under a train at Hyde Park" – suicide I assume. (Amazing how something like that doesn't even make the local news.)

So we had to get the overground train to King's Cross and then get back into the tube network. On the way down the escalators at King's Cross, while standing on the right I felt a knock on my left side, thinking it was someone rude just barging through, even though there was plenty of space. My wife who was in front of me was knocked off balance, falling to the right / backwards and taking some sort of knock to the back of the head. I shouted out aloud "Oy!!", then realising it was a wild hoodie running down the escalators. 'It' wasn't brushing past people but it was purposefully elbowing and shoulder barging every few people and knocking them flying. I saw one man in particular get a direct hit and was knocked fiercely to the side. I shouted out even louder but no one else said a word as overall, people are pretty placid and no doubt fear repercussions as should anything happen, assume you are on your own.

So the Mrs had a bit of pain on the back of the head. Not sure if I was knocked onto her or if she fell back and hit her head on the escalator handrail.

We reported this to a member of staff who looked to find the idiot and suggested we mention it to the station supervisor which we did. Station supervisor called London Transport Police who were fine but said there is virtually no chance of finding the hoodie and that they can only look at the CCTV footage if there is a full investigation. So we said there is no point it taking it further. I just thought it would be a case of someone taking some time to rewind the footage and spot this idiot.

What gets me is the senselessness of this. I can at least get my head round an animal like that trying to impress its friends but somehow it was massaging its own ego by slamming into people.

Oh, and my wife later mentioned to me that earlier on she spotted another hoodie in the station hanging around at the bottom of another set of escalators with hood up and with a bandana over his face.

All this crap about stop and search really pisses me off. Stop the idiots and get the knives and drugs off them.  

And WTF do these morons need hoodies for on the underground, in shops etc? The cops were quite amused when I pointed out to them that the hoodie is the modern day balaclava.

Sick of these idiots.

uncle fester

There's a weird invisibility thing that happens on the tube. Get on during a working day and you won't hear a single person speak. Get on at the same station at 8 - 9pm and everyone is chatting away.

In a former life I had to brave the Northern Line at 7:30 am everyday, trying to get onto a carriage that was full to bursting (sometimes it was acually difficult to breathe, you'd be so squashed) And still no one would ever say a word. Deathly silence.

The same goes with anything out of the ordinary. I was witness to an assault three seats from me which I attempted to break up. The victim hadn't even said a word to his assailant prior to it, and still people buried their heads in books all around the carriage. Tube staff are helpless really as they have a definite set of rules to adhere to (mate of mine works on the network) and can only pass on evidence to the police.

None of this really helps your situation Surfer, I know, but the overall set-up really plays into the hands of the idiots and they know it.  The problem isn't that people aren't scared of facing up to them. It's that people choose to ignore it because it isn't happening to them directly. And that level of selfishness is a more damning indictment of our society than the idiots taking advantage.

SuperSurfer

Well done for trying to break up an assault Uncle Fester. I once saw a tv programme which looked at public incidents and the likelihood of people intervening. They concluded that people are more likely to get involved if there is no one else around as everyone leaves it to someone else to do something and no one usually does.

My brother was on a bus recently and a group of girls were at the back throwing Smarties down the aisle which were accidentally on purpose hitting people. No one said a word until one hit my brother on the back of the shoulder. He turned round and shouted at them "****ing ****holes!" and they shrunk into their seats. People just need to start standing up for themselves more.

And a then few years ago I was on one of the small buses in north London with my wife as she had a hospital appointment. We had the misfortune of being in a bus full of kids going to school. They were showing off to each other explaining their antics about being stopped by the police, giving false details etc. One well spoken middle class woman turned round and this ****ing little upstart of about 15 years old started mouthing off to her: "what you ****ing looking at!? What you ****ing looking at!?"

"Oh, nothing, it's nothing, I wasn't looking at you, I just turned round and you caught my eye."

I was muttering "****ing idiots!". When we got to hospital and were waiting I noticed my wife had phlegm in the back of her hair. So no doubt one those scum probably sitting behind her spat on her as it got off. Oh, boy, oh boy, if I had seen that happen...

I knew someone who used to teach at that school. He said when you see the parents of some of those kids, all fits into place.

Dandontdare

Quote from: dandontdare on 27 July, 2009, 12:09:15 PM
The Big  Green Gathering, a lovely 5 day hippyfest in Somerset that I've been going to since 2002 has been cancelled at the last minute by the council and police. They cite fears of crime and disorder which is just laughable - you couldn't find a more harmless bunch of sandal wearing crystal-toting organic veggie pacifists if you tried. Radio 4 were going to do gardener's question time for drokk's sake!

It was due to start wednesday and now i'm stuck here in Bristol seething with anger whereas normally these 5 days are enough to charge my chill batteries for the year ahead!

Further investigation suggests a total stitch up  by police. Trying to decide whether to:
a) just go camping instead
b) pay for another festival somewhere
c) turn up anyway and do battle at the barricades (apparently at the meeting when the 'decision' was taken, the senior policeman was heard to step to one side and radio "operation fortress is go" so it wasn't exactly unplanned. The chief inspector said the decision came from above his pay grade and was made weeks ago. Impossible road closures were another cited reason - the pigs have now managed to close all these roads and more to prevent anyone reaching the site!)

BASTARDS!   >:( >:( >:(

Old Tankie

Bl***y Hell!!  I've heard that Pot Bellies are supposed to be intelligent, but closing roads, stopping access to humans, and cancelling festivals, now that's really cool!!!

TordelBack

Quotec) turn up anyway and do battle at the barricades

Not wanting to discourage you from fighting the good fight, but wouldn't that be just the sweetest thing you possibly could do on behalf of whoever made this silly-seeming decision?   "Violent clashes at supposedly peaceful festival, missiles hurled at police, local residents trapped in their houses with fear"', etc. etc. Surely abandoning this year's fun and setting about concerted campaigning for next year is the only way to go? 

TOTAL ASIDE NOT IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH DANTONDARE'S WOES:  I worked with a young lad who was vocally into anti-capitalism 'riots', as he put it (presumably distinct from the anti-capitalism protests themselves).  When asked if he'd been part of the group throwing themselves in front of the imported water cannons the Gardaí were amusingly if half-heartedly deploying at the time he said: "fuck no, I didn't want to wreck my i-pod".  Maybe they knew what they were doing, so. 

Peter Wolf

WTF is going on ??

I thought the BGG was an established festival ?

If this decision was made weeks ago then you might have thought that the police would have the decency to inform the festival organisers that the event was going to be cancelled because of "Crime and disorder" to save everyone who bought tickets the frustration and disappointment of the bullshit that is spoken of here today.

They are deliberately wating everyones time because they can.

"Operation fortress is go !"

Pathetic .

Police and councils are corrupt like anything official is in this country.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death