Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSurfer

My sympathies to all those going through such tough times at the moment – Amberkraken, Mike, Pete's wife, David and family. Life can really throw some nasty sidewinders at us which somehow are magnified at this time of the year. And yes, in this period of the year our thoughts do go to those close to us that we lost. Somehow we have to try and draw strength and get through. Don't know what wise words I can offer other than saying that my thoughts are with you. Hope things get better soon for all of you.

Roger Godpleton

My legs feel like they've had enough lactic acid to fell an elephant injected straight into them.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

TordelBack

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 27 December, 2009, 09:31:08 PM
That not insignificant at all and i truly hope that your dog recovers.

What Peter said.  I'd never underestimate the pain of losing (or fearing you're going to lose) a pet.  Despite various far more significant human losses in the years since, I still feel like crying every time I think of putting my dog to sleep 15 years ago now.  And I've never stopped looking for my eldest cat, missing for two years now and obviously long dead.  They aren't people. but you and your family are, so the feelings are real.

All the best of luck for your hound, David.

COMMANDO FORCES

What a morning I had.

I had just climbed into bed at about 08:15 when my wife came running back into the bedroom in hysterics. There were feathers all over the garden (goodbye sleep for me) so I went to investigate and a scene of horror awaited me.
As I walked through the conservatory I could see the feathers spread all over the garden. I approached the girls house and there just outside the sleeping quarters lay poor Gladys, minus her head!
I searched the coup for Crystal and Elsie but they were not there, so I used my Winthrop search technique to find them. Crystel was walking about at the back gate with a small bit of blood around her beak. Where was Elsie, she was hunkered down behind the shed with a gash down her back.

It was was a sad morining in the FORCES household. I rang the bloke who we bought them off and he said that it was a fox, due to the missing head (poor Gladys) and that they will be in shock for a couple of days. After all the advice he gave we moved the girls into the conservatory and bedded them down after some first aid.

At this moment they seem to be just chilling out but who knows. The weird thing is that I have seen many things in the forces and nothing ever bothered me but I keep seeing poor Gladys sat on her perch watching the beast enter and trying to defend her sisters! Nature is cruel.

Well I have reinforced their home during the day and started converting Sam's old den into their new home. There is no fucking way that anything will get into that!
I've also laid out half a dozen snares in places that I reckon could be used as runs.

By the way, guess what we are having for tea tonight..........correct, and it's not Gladys :'(

SmallBlueThing

Ah, CF, that's horrible. As you say Nature is very cruel. Not a fun thing to happen.

My own tale of woe for this thread is currently making my blood fucking BOIL. I will elaborate.

We took the boys into town today, so they could spend some of their xmas money (and so we could do some shopping). While we were in Gamestation and my eldest was deciding what to buy, my wife decided to go to Holland & Barratt to get some Vitamin E capsules. We finished our business, walked out the shop, and wandered along the road to H&B- stopping outside and mucking about, while we waited for her.

What happened next defies belief. Suddenly, my youngest was grabbed by an old woman who had been standing at the busstop and before I knew what was happening, she was bend over, holding him by the shoulders screaming at him to tell her where his mummy was. Naturally, I removed her briskly from him and told her to "go away and see a doctor, as I feared for her mental health". Though I may not have used those exact words.

She then starts shouting at me that I'm "abducting these children". I try to move the boys (who are by this point, becoming distressed) on, but she grabs them again and shouts that "I'm not taking them anywhere", and again starts demanding to know where "mummy" is. I tell my youngest that everything is okay and that we are going to the toyshop now, and she has a fit, begins shouting again, and forces me to- er, no fuck it, why not just say it- I pushed her forcibly away and back to the busstop and told her to leave us the fuck alone and if she so much as looked at us again, I'd put her in hostpital, as she was terrifying my children and was clearly mental.

She stayed put, but gave us evils.

At this point my pig-headedness kicked in, and instead of just going into the shop and getting away, I decided that we should stay outside and continue what we were doing, as we were doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Her medication must have kicked in, because at that point she approached again and tried to apologise. However, she made the mistake of saying "I was just protecting the children, because that's what the world is like now and you can never be too careful". I'll admit, if I had to pick a series of words guaranteed to piss me off and cause me to engage full-on rant-mode, those would have been the exact ones- so I let rip with the absolute full force of my invective, and told her to engage what remained of her pathetic Daily Mail-reading brain before jumping to ridiculous conclusions based on nothing except a dad walking along the street, playing with his children. Then I restated my point with a little more venom, just for good measure. Then we went into the shop.

When we came out, she had the stupidity to STILL be staring at us, but by this point, I was trying to calm my by-now extremely upset youngest who was cowering from her.

WHAT THE FUCK is wrong with some people???

I swear, I was <this close> to punching her in the face, wrong-side of seventy or not.

ARGH!

SBT

House of Usher

What a world. Although I'm sure "She's in Holland & Barratt, why don't you mind your own fucking business?" would have done. There are some crazy, busybodying people out there.
STRIKE !!!

COMMANDO FORCES

Hope the lads are okay now SBT.

This is the way the country seems to be trying to head. A man, alone with two children, that's just plain wrong, he therefore must be a pervert!

What a sad world we sometimes live in.

Oh! by the way, I would have behaved just like you

I, Cosh

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 28 December, 2009, 04:29:36 PM
I rang the bloke who we bought them off and he said that it was a fox, due to the missing head (poor Gladys) and that they will be in shock for a couple of days.
That's a bit shit CF. I'm surprised at it being a fox though unless it was caught in the act. When we lived on the farm it would be very odd for a fox to kill something and not take it off to eat. I remember the time a Badger got into one of the henhouses, though. It killed the whole lot which was quite a mess.
We never really die.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: House of Usher on 28 December, 2009, 05:25:31 PM
What a world. Although I'm sure "She's in Holland & Barratt, why don't you mind your own fucking business?" would have done. There are some crazy, busybodying people out there.

Which would have been my response, if she hadn't have grabbed my youngest bodily and dragged him away. She really could not see that she was doing the wrong thing.

And, what if mummy HADN'T been in H&B? What if daddy was just out with his children? What if there wasn't a mummy? Why do I need to have a mummy nearby? No, she's fucking lucky to still be standing.

I know what you're saying Ush, but tehre should be no tolerance whatsoever for people of that mentality.
SBT

mygrimmbrother

My cat is dying, and it's bloody heartbreaking.

Mike Gloady

Steev - that's a sad and unpleasant tale.  Hope the boys weren't too upset by the whole thing.  I sympathise entirely.  To hear certain morons speak, you'd think child cruelty had been invented in 1997.  It's exactly the same world it was 100 years ago, just that we're more aware of the horrible things that can happen and take steps to talk about them with our kids so they're prepared, cautious and aware that these things aren't ever THEIR fault - I'd like to think that's actually called PROGRESS.  I'd have done precisely the same as you too.  

CF - WILL you be eating Gladys?  I understand if not, that's a very sad story too.  It took about halfway through your post to realise you're talking about your chickens, I thought you kept your female offspring in a hut at the bottom of the garden!  

According to my dad, foxes are a bit thick sometimes, if they're HUNGRY they'll drag the carcass off somewhere to nom it there and then, if not hungry but have the opportunity to kill something, they will and come back later when they ARE hungry (by which point, of course, us humans have seen what's happened and cleared it away.  

Hugs to the pair of you.  
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Mike Gloady

And you MGB.  Hope your kitty isn't suffering too much.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 28 December, 2009, 05:41:59 PM
My cat is dying, and it's bloody heartbreaking.

Yes, it bloody is. I'm sorry to hear that, MGB.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

COMMANDO FORCES

I forgot to add. The useless twats that live next door said that they saw a young fox the day before as it went for their ducks and bashed one about a bit (they are more resilient than our chickens).
Now why the fuck didn't they tell us, another reason to hate them!

So due to it's size it wasn't big enough to carry her away. I was suprised when I found the other two alive as I had always read that the little gits will kill everything in sight. Perhaps it was disturbed or too tired to fight anymore due to the cold, etc..

With a bit of luck one of my snares will catch the bugger and then I will show it some of my military skills with no mercy >:D

EDIT. Mike these girls are egg layers and they are not bred to eat, not enough meat. I mean I could eat her but the missus would go mental.
Gladys now resides in the bin :'(

House of Usher

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 28 December, 2009, 05:40:52 PMI know what you're saying Ush, but there should be no tolerance whatsoever for people of that mentality.
SBT
I know, dude; I sympathise very strongly. But I want her locked up, not you. I'm not brave enough to stick to the principle that I'm in the right and she's in the wrong, and I'd have gone for whatever made her look stupidest quickest, whether it be "she's at her mum's" or "she's dead, okay?" The main thing, of course, is that she should take her damn hands off your kid.
STRIKE !!!