Main Menu

The Dredd Head drawing thread!

Started by Darren Stephens, 28 May, 2015, 09:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 March, 2016, 08:31:11 PM
Lots of great vibes coming off those, Woolly. Unmistakably yours, but variously hints of Flint, Richardson and a Walker, too. Great stuff!

Cheers

Jim

Yeah, that Henry Flint's got a lot to answer for... 
Y'know, if you ever feel like reworking one of them, I wouldn't stop you...  ;)

Steven Austin

Yeah I'll post a link of the reworking. These are lovely Woolly. ..great style and your eagle is Bad ass!

Woolly

Quote from: Steven Austin on 18 March, 2016, 08:45:32 PM
..your eagle is Bad ass!

Like I said, that Henry Flint has a lot to answer for...  ;)
Thanks for the kind words  :)

I, Cosh

Some corking Dredds here lads and some really cool perspective stuff in those sketches Woolly.
We never really die.

Darren Stephens

There have been a flurry of Dredd Heads posted to Facebook recently, originally spurred on by Steven Austin, I believe. Here's another from me.

https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Hawkmumbler

Wonderful Darren! How on earth did you achieve such solid colours like that?

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 19 March, 2016, 05:02:15 PM
Wonderful Darren! How on earth did you achieve such solid colours like that?

Thanks Hawkmumbler! The original drawing was done with a Pentel brush pen, the colours are Manga Studio.  ;) (a trick swiped from the mighty Ben Oliver!)
                                       CLICK^^

Hawkmumbler

Well that's something I would never have though of, nor would have dared colour anything in MS that wasn't scanned first! :lol:

It's an excellent effect, something almost Fumetti about it.

Darren Stephens

*Googles Fumetti*, ha, thank you Hawkmumbler, I normally ink in MS, too, but the pen was laying there unused for the last few months. Surprised it still works!  :lol:
                                       CLICK^^

Steven Austin

So following my original post of the Dredd profile on my FB page, Brian Bolland stopped by and tweaked my original image leaving this on my wall with the message, "I think he needs a fatter lip". :)

Hawkmumbler

A great honor, Steve, but I think both versions are equally "Dreddy" and, gosh, your style just screams goals TBH.

Here's my own 10 min Dredd Head. Helmet is waaaay off but i'll try inking it in a bit and see if that fixes it.

Steven Austin

Thanks Hawkmumbler, much appreciated.

Great bottom lip on your piece, Bolland wouldn't need to tweak that bad boy. I personally always struggled with the length of the helmet but have settled on the fact that it looks right (for my take on Dredd's face) if I line it up with his jaw line.

Hawkmumbler

Thanks in return, Steven, must try and remember that tip when drawing the visor in future, wasn't able to fix it in the inking so it still looks much too tight. Plus in usual fashion everything I draw looks much too flat. ::)

amines2058

Heres my effort following on from everyone elses. May ink tomorrow if I get chance.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 19 March, 2016, 04:54:24 PM
There have been a flurry of Dredd Heads posted to Facebook recently, originally spurred on by Steven Austin, I believe. Here's another from me.

The vibe I get from this is Trevor Hairsine circa Wilderlands. That's meant as a compliment!
We never really die.