Main Menu

THE ANTI SCI-FI BRIGADE

Started by zombemybabynow, 26 May, 2009, 03:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Quote from: "SpookyTheCat"I love Equus. The play (as in the "book"), the stage production, always have, always will. But I've never seen the film. I really should, shouldn't I?

Steev

Yes you should, to quote 'Gregory's Girl' : "bum, tits, fanny - the lot"

johnnystress

Quote from: "Buttonman"Although lovely, we connoisseurs of Ms Agutter regard 'An American Werewolf in London' as a lesser jenny. [/url]

lezzer jenny?

phwoooaar!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: "Jim_Campbell"The first time I watched American Werewolf, myself and a couple of mates sat down with some beers and popped the video on. After a little while, one of my mates says to the screen "Look, Jenny, you've been in this film for a full twenty minutes and you haven't got your kit off yet -- ooh, hello!"

Cheers

Jim

Arh one of the great moments of my adolescence. Not watching it with you, that'd be weird, no the Jenny Agutter bit. Right up there with the Jamie Lee Curtis moment in Trading Places one of the great "Wow who'd have thought" moments!

Kev Levell

Quote from: "Colin_YNWA"[Jamie Lee Curtis moment in Trading Places

Yup. A key moment for impressionable young boys everywhere.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: "kevlev"
Quote from: "Colin_YNWA"[Jamie Lee Curtis moment in Trading Places

Yup. A key moment for impressionable young boys everywhere.

Indeed.

Roger Godpleton

And Jamie Lee continued her proud legacy in True Lies.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

TheEdge

Quote from: "johnnystress"Having to explain why the USS Enterprise never meets anyone from Star Wars...

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away and the future, how simple to grasp is that!!!!!! :evil:
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

MarkW

My significant other is allowed to not like American Werewolf, because it gave her nightmares when she was 10.

She's flat-out refused to watch it ever again. :mrgreen:
Love is a many splintered thing.

Devons Daddy

i liked american werewolf, saw it on VHS of course, so it had that whole i should not be watching this vibe.

as for SCI-FI defense.
i point out that most of the inventions today are based on ideas in these very annuals, people grew up liking sci-fi., where very clever and made their/our fantasies reality. Lasers is the first and prime example, mobile phones, auto sliding doors, cloning, space travel itself, the list is course endless.
i tend to go that direction. then point out i am a sci-fi lover, be logical but show the fact you actually have some sad but informed knowledge on the subject. unlike that poor,unhappy,unimaginative soul you talking too.

also tell them that many females find sci-fi geeks are really exciting in bed. that always works for me.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

mogzilla

i used to defend myself but dont bother now when the people slating off a bit of harmless escapism are OBSESSED with peter and jordan, big brother deal or no deal and all that sort of stuff.

me would rather spend a couple of hours lost in an other world be it comic videogame of cinema than watch 6 hours of self obsessed pratts SLEEPING on E4!

The Legendary Shark

I really don't bother defending sci-fi because it seems like a pointless activity. Just like in any other genre, there is good sci-fi and bad sci-fi and so defending it for the sake of defending it just makes me feel like an idiot. Some people can't see the point of watching movies or reading books about aliens, spaceships and robots and no amount of cajoling from the likes of me is going to change that.

On a slightly different tack, I have a neighbour who proclaims to love sci-fi but he's a complete numpty about it all. For example, he describes any sci-fi film as "brilliant!" whether it is or it isn't. He recently downloaded a movie somebody had made out of all the clips in the Starfleet Academy games and urged me to watch it because it was "brilliant!" It wasn't. He also complained to me that, although Aliens v Predator was "brilliant!" he couldn't understand it because it was set before the other Alien movies. I stomm you not, he actually said that. Sensing that this conversation was the very small tip of a very large iceberg, I merely shrugged and made a mystified face at him. Sometimes, it's the sci-fi fans that need defending and not the genre itself.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IAMTHESYSTEM

Some Sci- Fi is total shite (remember Mega Shark v's the Giant Squid with -Debbie Gibson! I kid you not). I think it tends to be seen as an adolescent genre and therefore dismissed as too  'populist'.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Zarjazzer

But Aliens versus Predator was brilliant.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: "mogzilla"i used to defend myself but dont bother now when the people slating off a bit of harmless escapism are OBSESSED with peter and jordan, big brother deal or no deal and all that sort of stuff . . . me would rather spend a couple of hours lost in an other world be it comic videogame of cinema than watch 6 hours of self obsessed pratts SLEEPING on E4!
Quote from: "the_legendary_shark"I really don't bother defending sci-fi because it seems like a pointless activity. Just like in any other genre, there is good sci-fi and bad sci-fi and so defending it for the sake of defending it just makes me feel like an idiot. Some people can't see the point of watching movies or reading books about aliens, spaceships and robots and no amount of cajoling from the likes of me is going to change that.
Quote from: "IAMTHESYSTEM"Some Sci- Fi is total shite (remember Mega Shark v's the Giant Squid with -Debbie Gibson! I kid you not). I think it tends to be seen as an adolescent genre and therefore dismissed as too  'populist'.
And yet it's perfectly acceptable for those living in the real world to wear their football shirts with pride, even when not attending their association cons.

Or irritants such as Alison Graham and Jackie Stephens to wax ironic about soaps (not populist in slightest, of course), yet dismiss anoraks as being anything but terminal adolescents with no discerning taste.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

vzzbux

I've often had the conversation that Star Wars never happened. There is no proof that it never happened as it happened a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. George Lucas must have his telescope pointed at said galaxy and is watching events unfold and jotting them down.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.