Main Menu

Does anyone else see a correlation between total war...

Started by marko10174, 04 August, 2017, 10:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marko10174

and Antifa? This is why I love judge dredd, the politics of meg one are more significant to todays current social climate then they ever were when Dredd first started.

Jim_Campbell

The older I get, the more I understand Tolkien's comment about his "cordial dislike of allegory" and preference for "applicability". The clear subtext of the Smaug thread in Jackson's Hobbit movies is about neoliberal capitalism: Smaug amasses a massive pile of gold and holds onto it through through the explicit threat of deploying superior power; the inhabitants of Laketown submit to this in hope of a 'trickle-down' effect on their local economy. It's an entirely modern reading that is in no way at odds with the original text.*

Applicability.

Take five minutes. Listen to New Model Army's 1984. it could have been written yesterday, not thirty-three years ago.

Applicability.

Take just about any 'political' Dredd story from 'Letter From A Democrat' onwards... applicability.

He knew what he was talking about, did Tolkien. 

*Note: I am not arguing that these movies are a faithful interpretation of the text as a whole.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.