Main Menu

Doctor Who - Series 10 (Spoilers)

Started by Taryn Tailz, 16 April, 2017, 01:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

I think introducing the Doctor through a modern, relatable girl in 'Rose' was exactly the right thing to do. Doing the same thing now just feels stale and like the producers are too scared to stray from the formula.

Taryn Tailz

How about Nardole? He's neither contemporary nor Human. Mind you, we never actually saw him join the Tardis crew.

JamesC

Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 17 April, 2017, 09:35:22 PM
How about Nardole? He's neither contemporary nor Human.

He's barely a character.
It's like Matt Lucas turned up one day and never went home.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: JamesC on 17 April, 2017, 09:50:24 PM
He's barely a character.
It's like Matt Lucas turned up one day and never went home.

And yet... This is literally the only tolerable thing about it. It's like having a cheery man there going "it DOESN'T have any internal logic per-se and there WAS a horrifically awkward 90's-style fat joke just now but it's all a LARK though isn't it?"

I'M A SELF MADE MAN AND I COULD BUY YOU.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I really disliked it.

For a sci-fi show with a young audience, it spent the first 10-15 minutes being a soap-like meander through Bill's life. Why the info-dump? My eldest was bored ("when is something going to happen, dad?"). It was lazy and the information could have been seeded through the whole running time to let the episode start with a bang, not a whimper.

Like a lot of Nu-Who, it was also lazy and riddled with simple to solve errors.

The Doctor seemed awfully unfussed about sentient fuel that was a match for Time Lord technology. Why?

And if that's the fuel, what could the ship do?

Y'know, the ship that the Doctor realised had landed in London but chose not to investigate.

What was the story of the girl with the golden star in her eye? Was she human (I thought not at first, now I don't know)? Was she a lure for Bill? How did she come across the puddle? Why did she keep going back?

What was the point of having the puddle be shown as a screen with a waving alien hand behind it talking about the Pilot and Passenger? If it was to create a mystery for future episodes, then it was clunky and distracted from the soft-reboot. If it wasn't, then it was clunky and unresolved.

Still, I didn't know about John Simm until the reveal at the end of the trailer.
Lock up your spoons!

The Corinthian

Quote from: Andy B on 16 April, 2017, 01:22:23 PMThat said, they could have made more of an effort with the 'it'll do' plot: we must have seen the automated-spacecraft-looking-for-a-crew thing 5 or 6 times now.

I think this is the selling point now that it's settled down into being a series with a solid bedrock of regular viewers rather than a hit show that the nation tunes into. Everyone criticises the "same old, same old" line from 2015's trailers but that was  deliberate: it's telling the core audience not to worry and that nothing's really changed.

QuoteHowever, like 'Rose', the story wasn't really the point.

But unlike in 'Rose' the characters and the premise weren't the point either. 'Rose' told you how exciting and unexpected everything was going to be. 'The Pilot' told you how comfortable and familiar everything is going to be. It's 'Heartbeat' with time travel.

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: Andy B on 16 April, 2017, 01:22:23 PM
QuoteHowever, like 'Rose', the story wasn't really the point.
It's 'Heartbeat' with time travel.

Which ironically was a programme without any time passing what so ever. They seemed to spend over twenty years living in the 1960's. :P

Tjm86

Couple of hundred MP's like that too.

Oops sorry, wrong thread.   :-[

Taryn Tailz

Quite enjoyed this weeks Doctor Who. It felt like a good old, traditional, 'arrive and explore' type narrative. Nothing ground-breaking, but a solid episode.
I particularly enjoyed the call backs to 'The Ark in Space', and the Hartnell era lead in to the next episode. Don't forget to smile now. :)

dweezil2

I thought it was a real stinker!

Underdeveloped ideas and a pretty feeble plot.
Hope next weeks is better!
Capaldi was his usual dependable self, but the scripts need to dramatically improve (in more ways than one).
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Andy B

That was... OK. The great location filming and Capaldi/Mackie pairing (they really are good together) just about making up for the flimsy plot (malfunctioning technology AGAIN!)

Dr Who really struggles with villains these days, the 'bad guys' turning out more often than not to be simply malfunctioning or misunderstood. Moffat's line last week about evil just being hungry from another perspective (we're  going to have to rethink WW2...), suggests it's deliberate. Last year, even the Daleks got a pass, when it turned out the machines say 'exterminate' regardless of what the occupant says...

It's OK to go up against a mad bastard who wants to take over the universe, every now and again.

What's the betting the creature in the Thames next week is just trying to get back to its Mum?

Mardroid

The Doctor didn't actually say there was no evil, just that there wasn't much of it in the universe. And that hunger is mistaken for evil.

I think the Daleks certainly qualify as amongst the few. At least the creator (Davros?) was. Arguably the drones not so much as I think their brains are surgically altered to make them vicious space Nazis (i.e. they don't have a conscience to listen to. If they did, and they still committed their atrocities.... that would be true evil).

I hope the series antagonists don't all turn out to just be hungry too though. It looks like the Master will turn up later though, so he/she qualifies as evil surely? Or does she, considering she is insane? Huh. Maybe she's just hungry too....

IAMTHESYSTEM

It was a good idea but there were too many plot holes and the ending became Deus Ex Mechanica by Sonic screwdriver. Humans who have just had their relatives murdered would hardly want to get along with their executioners but the biggest boob was the end. If the Doctor reset the Vardy by switching them on and off again to their default setting how come A: the building didn't collapse, B: The Vardy self-awareness would be set back since it evolved over time. Ok[ish]but somehow a bit naff too. 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

IndigoPrime

If anything, it again showcases the lack of interest in employment good script editors, or the lack of money to pay them. There were the seeds of good ideas here, and the show itself was entertaining enough, but episodes shouldn't break the second you look at them logically. All of the issues with the script could have been ironed out by a decent editor – the premise could have remained, and you'd only have needed to edit bits of dialogue. But modern telly just isn't that interested these days, with a few exceptions. (As I've said here before, at least Who isn't yet at the level of Lucifer, though.)