Main Menu

1409 - Leapin' Lizards!

Started by DavidXBrunt, 27 September, 2004, 05:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

Heh, now that's what I call a cover. Great big smile on my faace looking at that. Excellent. If that were available as a poster I'd buy it.

Dredd - Builds on last weeks episode, cranks up the tension and, thanks to Vienna's appearance becomes more personal at the same time. Love the idea of Boing(c)bowl.

Past Imperfect - I liked this. It's not the first time Carrol has been linked to Whitechappel but it's a well told tale with nice artwork. Not as good as Cabals, but what would have been?

Robo-Hunter - Such an enjoyable episode. The art proves that La Diva Gibson is up there with the greats, the script proves that Alan Grant has still got it, the story proves that giant robot lizards will never go out of fashion. I actually like the starkness of the art too. Just seems right somehow, if another artist had tried it it might not have worked but it does.

Asylum II - There's nothing wrong here, it's competently done but this still hasn't clicked for me.

Strontium Dog - The obvious reveal about the man plotting against Johnny (Come on, with that name and that profile!) is shown and it makes the story title take on another meaning. Essentially very little happens this week but it doesn't matter. Fighting their way out of a tight corner we see how tough Johnny and Wulf are. Excellent stuff all round, this feels like End of Act 1 to me. Roll on act 2!

DavidXBrunt

Ooooops. There's already a thread on this issue. Anyway, to sum that one up GordonR grumped -

Aieeeee! There's a Past Imperfect story in prog 1409, and it's the inevitiable Jack the Ripper one. There ought to be a law against this kind of thing. It's not bad, though, but it strongly reminds me of something else. An award-winning play by a certain UK comics writer...

Mccarron countered with -

But the DPS in part two of Total War does go some way to balance things up.

Johnnyeyebrows opined -

Thank goodness Arthur isn't here- he'd only give us a link to that fifth rate ripper rubbish...

and JaredKatooie chimed up with -

Aieee! Past imperfect!

The thread continues...

Max Kon

where's the other thread? why didn't I get a magic card?

Wake

I didn't get a Magic card either - maybe it's to make up for the Placebo poster progs.

Wake

Bad Andy

Now that you mention it - I didn't get a Magic card.

Ah well - it'd just gone in the bin anyway. Just can't get into this card collecting.

Max Kon

maybe they will be sending it next week, I'm gonna have to ring denise

WoD

No card, but Dredd rocked.
and it doesn't look good for him being that close to that and all...and at his age...

thrillpowerseeker

..thought this was a GREAT prog!..Top Thrill of course ...Strontium Dog..just when you think it cant get any better it does..

ukdane

No card! I assumed it was an overseas reader problem, but then why have I had other free gifts in the past?

I've only had one Placebo poster though (in the last few weeks, and two different ones overall).

Not read the prog yet, not had time, and still not finished reading last weeks meg!
Cheers

-Daney

Leigh S

I know it's just my wishful thinking, but did anyone else feel that the last panel of Stront kind of showed Wagner doesnt give a stuff for what happened in the Final solution?  I know it does nothing to contradict the events, but I wonder if as this progresses, it'll cove rthe same ground in such a way as to at least ask a few questions of FS continuity....?

Noone?  Just em then! :)

Leigh S

I know it's just my wishful thinking, but did anyone else feel that the last panel of Stront kind of showed Wagner doesnt give a stuff for what happened in the Final solution?  I know it does nothing to contradict the events, but I wonder if as this progresses, it'll cove rthe same ground in such a way as to at least ask a few questions of FS continuity....?

Noone?  Just me then! :)

eggonlegs

oi dxb hands off the egg!!!! p.s. the megs rather good too!

Dan Kelly

First early subs prog dore a while.  Yay!

Stront I am enjoying, but between the audio adventures and this, don't Johnny's relatives keep popping out of the woodwork?  Did we know this revalation before?

Dredd - absolutely gorgeous DOS.  Will Henry have my babies do you think?

Robohunter, like the story, but the simple artwork really isn't pushing my buttons.  Especially when details disappear (like the hatch)

Asylum, like boos art.  And the transition between parts made more sense.  Holt has a secret.

PI - ho hum

That's All

Dan

Dudley

Well, Dredd was great, story was fresh and new, clear art helped it along the way.  Zarjaz!

Slowbohunter picked up some pace but it does all still seem fairly tired.  Not my favourite strip.

Despite having been primed by Gordon Rennie's whining over who stole someone else's fictional characters first, I rather enjoyed the one-off about Alice.  Totally wrong, of course, given Alice Lidell's real subsequent history, and the portrayal of Dodgson as a paedophile is a caricature based on 21st century assumptions about behaviour.  But a fine adventure story.

Strontium Dog steps up the pace, gives us a new family member, and generally funks down with the St Albans massive.  Great.

Apology of the week: Asylum.  In my review at 2000adreview, and elsewhere, I had thought that this strip was a knackered mistake with great art.  On the basis of this week's episode, it looks as though I was wrong, and this has potential to be one of the darker things in 2kad's recent history, right up there with From Grace.  With truly GREAT art.