Main Menu

1417 - Apocalypse 2126!

Started by DavidXBrunt, 22 November, 2004, 04:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

Well, Dredd is A-stounding.  I've really enjoyed this every week, and it's made sure I've got the prog on my way to work, even if it makes me late (or late-er).  It's a real boost when something like this runs for almost a 1/4 of a year.  As ever, can't wait till the next one.

Other than that, I liked the prog this week.  A nice mix of stories. I much prefer flashback Synnamon to regular Synnamon as this was quite intriguing, Faces continues to be engaging and fun (without any really dodgily drawn 'risque' artwork in this week too, bonus) and I enjoyed Red Seas too, a lot in it.  

Now none of these (apart from Dredd) are stories I'd probably buy the prog for.  But it's a pretty good mix of different stories as you could hope to expect, and most of them have a sufficent amount happening in them to make them a decent read.

And I either seem to like or don't like Colby on various stuff, but I liked this cover.  Really got me set up for the joy's of Total War.

Floyd-the-k

I haven`t seen the prog yet, but I didn`t write the poem about myself. Honest.
 As for carved idols, I`m an anglican Christian. We don`t go that way!

yours hoping Synnamon is less completely crap than it was last time around

lisataylor

"A great episode with a great moment. I don;t think anyone predicted where the Nimrod story was taking us but now it's so obvious, and so perfect, that it's hard to believe no-one twigged."

Am I being reallyt stupid. I still don't get where the Nimrod story is taking us. t first I thought his special abilities would help lead the judges to the terrorists but that hasn't been the case. Can someone PLEASE tell me. The thrill power anticipationis too much. This is a spoilers thread sfter all!

LARF

There's a bond between Nimrod and the Dredd's including Vienna, my guess would be Nimrod helps rescue Vienna?

Synammon - I'm really impressed, looking very good!

Dredd - outstanding!

Lobster - Very funny and I love Carls artwork, anyone seen his website - really cool stuff on there.

Red Seas -superb, is it me or is Yeowells artwork more detailed in this and looking through past progs, the more detailed his work the more passionate he seems to be about it. Love the dog carriage!

Faces - shite!

80/100 this week

The Amstor Computer

Larf - Stevie Owl's art is indeed looking more detailed, and it's wonderful to see. I love his art, but sometimes his recent work can be a little too minimalist for my tastes.

Satanist

I really, really enjoyed this prog.

Cover : S'okey. Not great but not crap either.

Dredd : Top-stuff! I cant wait to read this in one sitting and thats high praise coming form me as I usually cant be arsed.

Faces : Enjoying this for what it is - forgettable pap.

Lobster : Nice twisty turny tale with crackin art.

Synnamon : The lowest point in the prog but nowhere near as bad as her last outing.

Red Seas : I love this series & agree that the art is better than ever (and its always been good).

Floyd Kermodes page...sorry I mean input : Always good to see and quite enjoy the controversy over one letter writer.  

9/10 roll on prog 2005!

Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Darren Stephens

Mmmm.Covers okayish . The colors dont really work, though. And,Dredds left arm looks so wrong! But, i have to say i really thought this weeks prog was great ......apart from 'faces', which is a shame. The whole thing feels rushed.  Red seas is more than makes up for it, though!
Darren.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

philt

Dredd - In the minority here but this just lumbers on. The first plausible foe the Dredd Universe has had in ages - they have the motivation and the skill but "boom" they are gone..But no dount as with all the previous plausible foes they'll be back for some comedy time travelling misadventures with their shrink thanks to some rejuveninatin' juices...Better still a Dredd / Total War team up to rescue Vienna from the Cursed Earth...
This has been disappointing in the extreme. The current soap opera antics of the extended Dredd family are really starting to grate with me as well. How long before Rico returns - stepping out of the shower with the words "ello princess"??
Henry Flints art is as usual astonishing
Faces - I've given up on this. And Random Lobster.
Synamon. You know the art (or rather the colouring) on this reminds me of some Nigel Dobbyn art in a story that wasn't Strontium Dogs which name escapes me? Was it about a Garbage man who fought killer plants or something....
Red Seas - Best thing in the prog by a country mile. Intriguing plot - nice twist at the end and Yeowell's art impresses. Roll on Prog 2005

Smiley

reminds me of some Nigel Dobbyn art in a story that wasn't Strontium Dogs which name escapes me? Was it about a Garbage man who fought killer plants or something...

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/scans/mediumres/871.jpg>

Total War's okay, liked the automata in Red Seas, that's about it.

Bico

Hmmm.  Can anyone tell me what those two large bowling balls are doing sitting on Synnamon's chest in the first panel?
It's telling that the only way that this strip could improve was by becoming something completely different to what it was before, but that still doesn't excuse ripping off Red Razors' premise as a backstory for the charisma-less main character.  It would help if the dialogue wasn't so clumsy, but it's still as pish as it was last time round.
Tough girly in tight catsuit.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Dredd's good.  Two weeks to wrap it up, and it looks about over already, which makes me think Wagner wants a few extra pages to stick the boot in somehow.
Faces - uh?  I preferred Freaks, but this one seems a bit unconvincing.  Don't know why.
Red Seas - S'okay.
Lobster Random - someone should give Si a poke with a stick to wake him up - he completely forgot to put this week's joke in the episode.
Poems on the letters page, no Droid Life, Floyd gets another Nemesis toy.  That's about it.

Tordelbach

>>Lobster Random - someone should give Si a poke with a stick to wake him up - he completely forgot to put this week's joke in the episode. !!

SimonC

Thanks for all your comments regarding my cover on this week's prog. Your compliments are, as always, appreciated. Your criticisms are, as always, perfectly valid, now I've stopped sobbing like a toddler lost in the supermarket:-)Cut to the bloody quick, I tell you..:-)

Just to mention that I've bunged a few roughs, pencils, inks and stuff in the cover sketches section...give 'em a little look if you fancy.

Cheers all,

Si

Si Logan

I think all of the cover sketches are nice (my favourite being the explosion in
Mega-city 1 in the background with the small figure in the foreground).
The black & white version of the cover is also excellent.

Simon.

SilvaShado

oooh, I got a letter printed!  Can't wait to get this prog.  I just got 1413 and 1414 here in the states. Hopefully I'll get 1417 before the end of the year.  I usually get 2 progs every 2 weeks.  So on the 8th, I should get 1415 and 1416.  Then on the 22nd, I should get 1417 and 1718.  Woot!  That'd be so cool.

opaque

The small figure one was my first choice too but then it would be inaccurate as Dredd was on his Lawmaster when it went off.

So Simon, are you going to start selling off your artwork?