Main Menu

1339 - Bad to Verse.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 06 May, 2003, 03:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

damnandblast

"Tom of Finland"

I have absolutely no idea who you're referring to - but I can have a damn good guess  :)

Nigel

JamieB

Bloody good article - not work or homophobe-safe - about Tom of Finland in the link.

J-Bo-1

Link: http://www.sequentialtart.com/archive/feb03/rdm_0203.shtml" target="_blank">Ninth Art's Andrew Wheeler on T.O.F.

karne

"Trout, you're there by proxy courtesy of the "O.T.E" suffix on Karne's name"

And because Jared Katooie stole my O.T.E. I guess that means we can include him as well.  

I'd also like to say a big thank you to all the people out there in comicland who made me look like the world's saddest knacker in front of my work colleagues and family ;) (They're probably just jealous 'cos they don't understand like we do). I appreciate it and love you guys immensely, thanks again.

To everyone else who didn't make it second time around, don't worry it's only a matter of time :)

Leigh S

Not sure I can remember other specific instances off-hand, but am sure rape has been alluded to in "Dante". Sure, it's a nasty subject, but how can addressing it be considered "distasteful"?

Well, I'm not against anyone dealing with the subject; My problem is that Robbie Morrison uses it as a stock scenario to either imperil his female characters or show how evil his villains are.  It's the over-use that makes it seem a little exploitative and lazy.

Leigh S

- Pats rape scene in Slaine was gratuitous - (he did the same thing to Naimh in the Secret Commonwealth, but the story was so bad I think most people had given up by then).  I think Robbie Morrison is one 2000ADs great finds as well - Certainly, Dante was the new first story in a decade to actually really grip me in the way that the older thrills had - But that doesnt stop me being a bit disturbed by his near constant allusions to rape in just about every story featuring a female character.

GordonR

>>Well, I'm not against anyone dealing with the subject; My problem is that Robbie Morrison uses it as a stock scenario to either imperil his female characters or show how evil his villains are.

Or 'Mark Millar Syndrome', as it's called in the trade.

HiEx

COVER: Fantastic cover. Clint Langley draws some of the best demons ever. After seeing this cover, I'd love to see Clint trying his hand at a Cabalistics story.

DREDD: I loved the art in this Dredd. The combination of Patrick Goddard on pencils & Dylan Teague on inks is superb, just right for Dredd IMO. And unlike some 2000AD art droids, Mr. Goddard actualy  draws Lawgivers and Judges's uniforms correctly. I certainly hope we can see more of Goddard's art on Dredd. Nice bit of writting by Morrison as well. Not too sure about the cadet Judge using his Lawgiver to knock on the door though, especially as he was using the optical sight/viewfinder at the rear of the gun to hit the door. Now I'm sure Lawgivers are very sturdy bits of kit, but one does not use the sighting mechanism of a firearm (the most delicate part) as a hammer! If I was Dredd, I would have given him a stern warning about misuse of Justice Department equipment. Persoanly, I don't think the cadet is up to no good or has a hiiden agenda. In fact I think it was very brave of him to admit announcing his presence too soon.

CABALISTICS: Coming along very nicely.

ABC WARRIORS: Liking this so far, very retro. No complaints about Mill's writting, in fact I'm enjoying it. However, Ezquera's art seems terribly rushed. I mean look at how he's drawn Steelhorn. Looks like it was knocked off in about 30 seconds. I'm a big fan of Ezquera's Dredd and Stronty art, but the art this ABC strory is a big step backwards in quality.

SNOW TIGER: kudos to all involved. Great thill. My one niggle is that Andy Clarke has drawn Tiger's OICW far too small. The OICW is a huge rifle. Link to info on OICW and picture below.

INTERCEPTOR: Very enjoyable. Interested to see where this is leading. I guess the Steve Pugh art droid is a big fan of hentai anime/manga as we are certainly getting lots of 'fan service' panty shots of the asian looking alien school girl.

OVERALL: A fantastic prog. One of the best this year.

HiEx

Link: http://www.hkpro.com/oicw.htm" target="_blank">OICW

http://www.hkpro.com/oicwsoldier.jpg">

ukdane

The votes from the Danish audience are now in:

Cover: Clint's artwork is such an improvement on his original (Dinosty) work. I like booth his Cab Inc Covers (even as much as saying the last one was the best cover of the year -for me).

Dredd: I liked this tale, I liiked the art- especially as I was name checked...
Thank God(dard)

Cab Inc: I know many people love this. I like it, nut for me it isn't the best strip in the comic (but then as none of them are Chronos Cranival-poor at the moment, it is probably my least favourite overall... but my favorite horror strip in the anthology at the mo :-))

Interceptor: I'm not a huge Pugh fan, but I'm liking this story, which for me is helping making the artwork more digestable. Still waiting to see exactly where it goes, mind.
For me it has this weeks quote: "No, Thank You. I am a hermaphroditic protopod. I reproduce asexually."

ABC Warriors: Art still isn't classic "Squirrel" And it seems to me that this book 1 is  following a similar format to all the other ABC book 1's. Howver I did like this weeks episode, especially whilst all the action went on, under the Mek-quake dialogue... good stuff.
Can someone tell me though why the robots are driving around in a vehicle?

Snow/Tiger: I think this is a love it or hate it strip. I'm a Vertigo fan. I'm (currently) loving this strip. It's also got a slight "24" feel to it (must be all the espionage stuff this week).

Overall: Enjoyed this prog. Best of the spring offensive so far. But when are we going to see the letters page reintroduced on a permantent basis?
Cheers

-Daney

Capt.Zeep

"hmm...
I just got home after a long night out, read this thread and literally had to go out into the street to find out which side the steering weel is on... during this investigation I accidentally kicked over a dustbin and woke my flatmate... boy do I feel stupid... "

Arf!  Reminds me of something one of Martin Amis's characters said in "The Information", to the effect that "poets can't drive...and if they can drive, don't trust the poetry" ;)