Main Menu

1362 - Is This The Worst Prog Ever?

Started by Matt, 14 October, 2003, 03:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judge dreddd

i think its an ace prog...the cover is a bit kids comic but then it is er, a kids comic

its ace

Matt

By ace, I take it you mean A Crap Effort? God, I haven't said that since junior school.

Banners

The cover's shite but the Dredd story is superb. Do you not get the allegory for 'wasted youth', the wilful self-destruction of the young...?!?

M@

Matt

Yeah, but it was still w*nk. It didn't feel like a Dredd story in tone, the twist was akin to something you'd find in your bog standard future shock. What was with the undead nightclub at the end? Compare that with ClubSov and the difference in quality speaks for itself. I like Wagners quirky one off Dredds, Beat the Devil was a brilliant off-the-wall story, but this was dire. I hated the whole prog.

Pete Wells

My tuppence worth:

The Dredd was ok(ish), Dead Men Walking was ok(ish) but ill-timed with Harry High Rock in the Meg.

The rest was utter, utter, utter, total and utter shite.

I think I'll hibernate and come out when it's all over...

Pete.

Mangamax

That device thing hidden on the flat bloke - it wasn't up his arse was it?
I had it down to being hidden in the folds of flab.
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Banners

If you don't get the undead nightclub at the end, then you really have no right to call the story either "dire" nor, ahem, "wank".

M@

paulvonscott

Yeah he has.  If there's an unintelligable reference that, if got, would make the whole thing a fucking masterpiece, but it's not obvious, then that is the writers fuck-up, not the readers.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the prog now.  Wheras I wasn't before.  It's been an interesting thread and I'm just interested in what my own reaction will be.  My suspicions are that it's going to be one of those rather mid-atlantic affairs.  But, I look forward to being wrong, I want to be wrong, because there is nothing worse than fears confirmed.

Matt

++If you don't get the undead nightclub at the end, then you really have no right to call the story either "dire" nor, ahem, "wank".++

Well fuck me for not having the intelligence to understand the ending. Yeah, I knew they were dead and that the club was some form of afterlife, the devils were a big enough clue, but didn't think it suited Dredd. As for your allegory for 'wasted youth, you can stick that up yer bloody arse. And while you're at it stick me friggin prog up there as well.  Don't patronise me you gobshite.

Dudley

Now I say, chaps, do stop this ill-tempered bickering.  I feel one of my migraines coming on...

I have a variation on the DrX scale, applicable only to serials.  Rather than treating every prog as though it had to be your favourite, just remember those times, over this past twelvemonth, that the comic you held in your hot little hands seemed to be worth so much more than the measly ?2 you paid for it.  

Now, add all of these up, add the number of times, such as now, that it seems to be worth so much less, take away the price expressed in pounds sterling. Divide the result by 3, covert to Farenheit, and dine out on Eggs Benedict and Veuve Cliquot.  I guarantee at the end of this process a sense of positively Buddhist serenity will overcome all but the most Gothic personality, and you will find yourself again looking forward to the following week's Prog.

Mr C

Or just remember the days of Timehouse, PARAsites and Harlem Heroes...
On second thoughts don't, the memories are just too painful.

Banners

How delightful! It seems that woe betide the occasional poster who tries to offer a contrasting point-of-view(!) I wasn't being patronising. You yourself wrote What was with the undead nightclub at the end? - there was no inference there about lack of intelligence at all.

But forgive me, for I enjoyed the story immensely so shall keep my suggested ensanguined posterior free of prog-blockage. I simply thought it very well-written in the way it stepped outside of the established Dredd Universe 'reality' to offer something lyrical and allegorical.

Having re-read it - thanks to the lively debate on here - I have discovered other things that make it even better. And I really don't think that trying to articulately offer this contrasting point-of-view deserves my icon-less self being called a "gobshite".

M@

Mr C

Urrgh. Big words make head hurt.
Come on chaps, no arguments here please, we're all fans of tooth and everyone's entitled to their own opinions.

judge dreddd

its a fan dabe dozzie issue !, the cover is just there so mummy buys it for little johnny who reads dredd and goes kewl !, violence

its an ace prog !

paulvonscott

The very big problem is mbanners, that you can give your opinion and people will actually be pleased to hear it even if they disagree with you, this isn't what you've been called a gobshite for.

What you've been called a gobshite for is being rather pompous about other peoples opinions.  If you can't see how that annoys people, you'll just get more of the same in future.  And talking like a dandy, looking down your nose at people and being sarcastic isn't going to help that.

Woe betide indeed.