Main Menu

Favourite CURRENT art droid Round 2 - Leigh Gallager or Steve Yeowell

Started by Colin YNWA, 15 January, 2021, 06:50:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Thank you Prime Minister for the update on the Classic Art Droid Tourney. I will now bring you up to date on the ongoing work on the Current Art Droid Tourney. The vaccine has now undergone extensive trials and we are confident that if taken it will safely exclude all thoughts of either Marvel and DC work by Leigh Gallagher. We have also looked at the data and found no reference when voting to any Yeowell work on Invisibles, Sebastian O or even Zoids.

We can now say with confidence the vaccine is safe and will ensure only works by Tharg will be considered when voting in this tournament. We would ask for patience while we work on the logistics of rolling this out vaccine though if you think you are at any increased risks of voting inappropriately to please consult your GP.

Alas we have to pick our favourite and to do so just pop the name of the art droid you'd most like to go through to the Quarter Finals, but please add anything else you'd like to say as well.

Leigh Gallagher - more info

OR

Steve Yeowell - more info

This one will close and be counted on the morning of Monday 18th January

(Quick break for the weekend and new votes up again Monday)

What the hell is all this? Current state of play Find out more about the Art Droid Tourneys and Round 2

Who made the 32 in both tourneys?

Entrants in the Current Art Droids Tourney

Entrants in the Classic Art Droids Tourney

Rules for what they are worth

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

You had me at Zenith Phase 1 (indeed the first episode was enough): Steve Yeowell.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

rogue69

ming

Leigh Gallagher is awesome but Zenith is Zenith so Steve Yeowell gets my vote.  That era-defining strip is the perfect partnering of story and artist and one for which I can't imaging anyone other than Stevie Owl filling the role.  Zenith casts a long shadow but Yeowell is far from a one-trick pony.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: ming on 15 January, 2021, 08:15:55 AM
one-trick pony.

Or 'a one strip pro-me'

(yes the me is a curious course but it worked better than my alternative 'a one strip pro-knee')

abelardsnazz

Bolt-01

Leigh Gallagher.

I'm kind of surprised I typed that. Leigh has been around for quite some time when you think about it and if you look at his work on Hookjaw compared to the early Defoe you can really see the distance he has travelled artistically. He is continually 'adding' to the density of his work (which gives him a lot of grief, especially on Kingmaker) and the results are there for us all to enjoy.

That's not to slight Steve though, his work has always been 'sparce' -- letting the suggestion of objects and landscapes work with our imaginations to provide a rich storytelling experience. Almost in a jazz style, it is the space that gives the art definition.

An interesting pairing Colin.

Sean SD

IndigoPrime

Urgh. This is a tough one, because Zenith III in particular is some of the best artwork to ever grace the Prog (even if I didn't entirely get it at the time). The Red Seas is also excellent and his Waugh worked well. I've been less enamoured with his more recent work, notably Sin/Dex, which feels empty. (I do wonder whether he'd be better doing some more B+W, given his strength in shadow and shape, somewhat lost when colourists enter the equation.)

Gallagher is an odd one for me, because he's mostly been paired with strips I don't like that much. Aquila and Defoe never clicked with me. Kingmaker was better, but again wasn't a standout strip in my head. However, Hookjaw was amusing. The artwork is very good—and distinct—though.

For me, the sheer impact of Zenith is just about enough to make me plump for Yeowell.

Tomwe

Going by the fact this is a 'current' artists vote I'm gonna look at the output from the last year and therefore vote for Leigh Gallagher