Main Menu

Vodafone Smart Tab 4

Started by The Doctor Alt 8, 18 June, 2014, 03:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Doctor Alt 8

[colour=18]Help! A friend got this for me as an early Christmas present.

I changed it up
I inserted the Sim card and pressed the restart button so it would acknowledge the card.
it then turned itself off.
It will not turn back on again no matter how long I press the power button or wherever I touch the screen.

What the hell have I managed to do to it?
[/colour ]

amines2058

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 18 June, 2014, 03:41:11 AM
[colour=18]Help! A friend got this for me as an early Christmas present.

I changed it up
I inserted the Sim card and pressed the restart button so it would acknowledge the card.
it then turned itself off.
It will not turn back on again no matter how long I press the power button or wherever I touch the screen.

What the hell have I managed to do to it?
[/colour ]
I imagine you have already done this but have you checked the orientation of the sim card plus also any memory cards that may be inserted. Also try starting without any cards in place to see if it starts up then??

Banners

What happens if you try another Sim, or without a Sim? What have Vodafone said? Presumably it's under warranty?

TordelBack

Are you sure it actually did charge?  Have you tried turning it on while still attached to the power cable?

The Doctor Alt 8

It has been charging for hours. With or without sim card there is no response....
Its dead Jim!
it is an ex tablet! It responds no more, bereffef of life it rests in peace. It has rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible.....this is a dead tablet!

(I am going to get a reputation now aren't I)

amines2058

Do you have another charger off a smart phone, or a usb cable? As it could be a dodgy charger. This will confirm if the charger is dead as it should charge either via plug, or plugged into to pc via micro usb connector?

The Doctor Alt 8

Gawd I hope not. Such peripherals are not covered by the warranty.But that still would not explain why a fullu charged tablet would lose all power simply by turning the restart button on.

amines2058

If it was a charger a new one would only cost a few pound off ebay Check Volts and Amps / Milliamps to ensure you get the right one.
A micro usb cable probably less than a pound, but it would probably take forever to charge through a PC.
You could even be lucky on freecycle if funds were tight?

The Doctor Alt 8

Took it shop to organize repair.
The guy tried to charge it and get it working and confirmed that it was dead as the proverbial DoDo
Told to take it back home (After being told to take it into repair) as it was less that 7 days "old" and request replacement.
Called service center. They refused to even listen to what was wrong with it and INSISTED that I go back to the shop... return item and tell them to cancel my contract. (!!!)

I set Henry ( the contract holder)  on them.

Now ( because they have run out of these smart Tabs) I am getting someone to come round Monday to take the dead device away & replace it wit a new Samsung Tab 3 instead.

The Doctor Alt 8

The Doctor Alt 8

Oh joy. the tablet sustained water damage. Henry THOUGHT he had insurance to cover damage/ theft/ loss.
Turns out Vodaphone forgot to take out the policy.
He has been fighting with them for over 3 weeks to get them to respond.

(Croydon store manager just told me it had no insurance... went out the back, put on her coat and bag and totally ignoring me further walked out the sore... how's about THAT for customer service?)

Bolt-01

Serious advice here:

Get it in a bag of rice. Completely covered. Do not power it and leave it three days in a warm spot to allow the rice to suck the moisture out of the device completely.

Sounds mental but that was how we recovered a kindle that had been dunked in a bath.

The Doctor Alt 8

Would that work after all this time? and it being sent for repair?

Minkyboy

I feel like Henry is a member of our board.
How many random tech support questions can one not-a-couple generate? 

But seriously, the rice tip is worth trying.
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

The Doctor Alt 8

Any particular variety? Basmati ? Long grain? Pudding or risotto?