Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

I'm glad you were okay Sheridan.

On Thursday and Friday, Westminster station was still closed off. Not completely, (you can get off there and swap lines) but there was not entry/exits. (I sometimes travel from Embankment on the District line, and the train passes by there*.) Understandable I guess.

*I only just noticed that on Friday. My knowledge of tube stations and lines isn't that great. Not that it's a big deal as nothing happened at the station itself.

Tony Angelino

Don Rickles.

He was better known in the US than the UK but was one of the stars of Kelly's Heroes. A top 5 film for me with one of the greatest theme songs ever.

rogue69

Actor Tim Pigott-Smith passed away Aged 70 his most memorable television and film roles have included Merrick, the racist police superintendent in the ITV mini-series The Jewel In The Crown, and parts in the movies The Remains Of The Day and Martin Scorsese's Gangs Of New York, as well as more recent appearances in Bond film Quantum Of Solace and Alice In Wonderland.

Eamonn Clarke

http://downthetubes.net/?p=37398

Artist Steve Marchant recalls the life and work of Nik Pollard, who along with others strove to give the comics form rightful study in the UK – and was a generous benefactor to London's Cartoon Museum...

some 2000AD pieces in that montage

Hawkmumbler

Minoru Takahashi, producer and writer for many of anime's most beloved titles from Macross to Vision of Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop to Wolf Brigade, Gunbuster and many a Gundam.

RIP

Tony Angelino

Clifton James has died at 96 years.

"What are you? Some kind of doomsday machine boy?"

sheridan

Erin Moran, 56 (Joanie Cunningham from Happy Days).

Daveycandlish

Leo Baxendale. Artist of my childhood. RiP  :(
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Spikes

Director Jonathan Demme

O Lucky Stevie!

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

TordelBack

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 26 April, 2017, 10:45:42 PM

Ah feck that. I heard the news this morning, and nearly passed it on to the kids, until I noticed both of them were absorbed in my old Beano annuals and I couldn't face saying it. I was a Beano fan long before (and after) I discovered 2000AD, and before I even knew that actual people drew comics, and it was only years later I discovered whose work I loved so much. RIP.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 April, 2017, 12:34:24 PM
Quote from: Daveycandlish on 26 April, 2017, 10:45:42 PM

Ah feck that. I heard the news this morning, and nearly passed it on to the kids, until I noticed both of them were absorbed in my old Beano annuals and I couldn't face saying it. I was a Beano fan long before (and after) I discovered 2000AD, and before I even knew that actual people drew comics, and it was only years later I discovered whose work I loved so much. RIP.

Not good.  And probably not long before The Treasury of British Comics will see some of his work republished for the first time in decades :-(

Dandontdare

Ah, that's a sad loss there (although I must admit, I wasn't aware Leo Baxendale was still alive until he died, if that makes sense)

Heath C Ackley

A real shame. He created strips we all grew up reading before moving on to comics like 2000ad.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 27 April, 2017, 01:15:57 PM
Not good.  And probably not long before The Treasury of British Comics will see some of his work republished for the first time in decades :-(

(by which I mean we've got that Ken Reid book coming out soonish from Rebellion, and assuming they have any Baxendale stuff in their now extensive archives I'm guessing his work will be the hitlist of children's comics to put out).